• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: White balance dropper target location is offset on high-DPI Windows devices

LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appears to be a bug affecting all recent versions of Lightroom on high-DPI Windows devices. It affects both CC and standalone versions, up to and including the current version (2015.6.1).

The issue is that when using the white balance dropper tool in the Develop module, the target location Lightroom uses does not correspond exactly to where the point of the dropper is located. Specifically, it seems to reference a position about 5 or 6 millimetres above the point of the tool.

The issue also affects the manual defringe dropper in the Lens Corrections panel. Other local develop tools seem not to be affected (brush, spot healing, HSL/Color/B&W picker, etc.).

To be clear: the issue affects Lightroom when the device is used in standard desktop mode with a regular mouse as the pointing device. It is not an issue with the touch screen, the pen or Lightroom's touch mode.

The problem is described in detail with screenshots here (in the original post and in my reply):
https://forums.adobe.com/message/8942657

It's also discussed briefly here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lightroom/comments/4wlf4i/lightroom_dropper_bug_on_surface_pro/

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
54 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2016 Aug 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can duplicate it on a Surface book with a 3000 PX display. I will bug it. Thanks for the report. 

The amount of offset varies by the WB Eyedropper Loupe's Scale setting as well. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other discussions this bug has been related to as somehow connected to the Surface device or its high dpi display, but I have it on a Dell 23" 1080x1920 monitor attached to a Lenovo Y50-70 laptop running Windows 10 / LR CC 2015 6.6.1. If LR is dragged to the laptop's 4K screen the same digression between the eyedropper symbol and the sampled area as shown in the 5x5 pixels loupe occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any ETA on a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an old thread, but I just upgraded to a 4k screen and have this same issue.  Any resolution?  it doesn't seem to be fixed on Lightroom Classic CC either.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that this is still unfixed. Any idea when there will be a potential fix for this... it's really annoying.

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do Help > System Info and report the exact version of LR you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this thread can be merged with mine https://feedback.photoshop.com/photos... addressing the same annoying issue.
Somehow irritating that it’s still not fixed although LR representatives confirm that they can reproduce it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using a picking tool in lightroom 2015.12 on a 4k screen (Radeon RX470 video card) the mouse cursor isn't exactly where the functionality takes place (like picking a color or drawing a line to straighten the horizon line).

see screenshots below:
sin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic-Version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to the new version.

Still no change:

Lightroom Classic-Version: 7.3 [ 1164630 ]
Version: 10.0.16299
Resolution: 3840x2160
Scale 200% (my assumption is that LR can't handle this)

Any chance that this gets fixed soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I‘m really disappointed that this issue isn‘t fixed (again in LR8) for meanwhilst two years even though you were able to reproduce the bug!
In my opinion you should really listen to the pro and semi pro users and their performance and usability issues using high end equipment.
It‘s just weird to use pro software and have to guess where your mouse pointer is picking white balance, or where the ruler for the upright mode will be placed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2019 Feb 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, when setting White Balance, the eyedropper cursor inexplicably selects an area which it is neither pointing towards nor touching.

Why doesn’t it select something in the same manner as would an actual eyedropper -- at the very bottom tip -- as it does in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, more than three years since this was officially logged as a known bug. 

IS IT REALLY THAT COMPLEX, FOLKS, OR DID YOU JUST BLOW IT OFF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when are you going to fix this? How hard can it be?
The problem also applies to the straighten tool in crop & straighten.

Lightroom Classic version: 8.2 [ 1204643 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.17134
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3,4 GHz
Built-in memory: 32670,6 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32670,6 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 4376,9 MB (13,3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 5319,6 MB
GDI objects count: 787
USER objects count: 2730
Process handles count: 1903
Memory cache size: 407,0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 11.2 [ 134 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 2912MB / 16335MB (17%)
Camera Raw real memory: 2920MB / 32670MB (8%)
System DPI setting: 192 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (25.21.14.1681)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess there just aren't enough LR folks using high-DPI Windows devices* to make it worth their time & effort.

</sarcasm>

*Increasingly, this is most Windows devices, I suspect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just upgraded to a 4K display with my home built PC running WIN10 and at that resolution I get this issue too.  Drop down to 1080p and the dropper works perfect.  Incredible that this hasn't been addressed yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue now that I upgraded my PC to a matebook x pro with a 3000x2000 screen. I'm still using LR6. If I set the resolution to 1920 in width I can use LR withouth the issue. It's a real bummer though because I chose this laptop because I thought the extra resolution would come in handy when editing my photos. Glad I haven't spent money on any other adobe software so far. It boggles my mind that they have known about this issue for three years and have done nothing to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with a HP ZBook 15 G5 (4k display) in Lightroom as well as Photoshop (worse in Photoshop as not even the normal mouse pointer works the way as it should as long as i don't drag the whole program to a HD screen or downscale the built-in screen to HD - then it works like a charm).
This is really a huge disappointment for a product targeted at professionals (I'm freelancing as a visual storyteller and have to rely on Adobe products) which are increasingly using 4k screens. How is it even possible that Adobe knows about this problems for years now and isn't able to fix it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the better workaround for this problem is not changing the resolution of the screen but changing to a smaller value for scaling. The default setting of my Laptop was 200%. I changed it to 175% (the next smaller value) and now it works. That of course means that EVERYTHING on your screen will appear smaller. I've pretty much gotten used to that now. It's crazy though how one bug in one programm forced me to change my entire PC experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it even possible that Adobe knows about this problems for years now and isn't able to fix it?

This is very funky stuff indeed, i really don^t knwo how Adobe is not able to solve this problem or at least find a workaround.....
I work with Lightroom 1.0 till now, all paid and registered software version and now that...

On my Lenovo P70 with 3840x2160 Monitor i cannot solve this problem with changing screen scaling, eyedropper tip is always offset if 100% or 350%.
It does not change either idf i change schreen resolution to 1920x1080 or even lower

Boring!

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Dell laptop with the monitor resolution displaying at 4K (3840x2160). The problem I am having in Lightroom Classic is the crop level tool and the white balance selector pipette do not align with the image on the screen.

The crop level tool is not a real problem because I can use the icon top knob as the reference.

However the white balance selector pipette is a problem. I have to set the tip of the pipette on the desired area and then drop straight down until the color appears in the view box. Usually the area I am sampling is small and problematic to find and center.

I wonder if this is an isolated problem with my computer or if this is a bug appearing in all 4K resolution monitors?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be the problem with all window users with 4K screens. I’ve been dealing with this bug for 2 years now. Multiple versions of Lightroom later and it’s still not fixed. They have known about this for 4 years and done nothing to fix it. As more and more people upgrade to 4K monitors hopefully they will decide to resolve it. It’s extremely disappointing this still hasn’t been addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incorrect. It is a problem with small 4K screens where 4K is useless anyway. I have 27 and 32 inch monitors and these problems do not occur. Adobe has important things to work on, wasting their time fixing user caused problems like this is not valuable to the majority of the user community. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is a high DPI issue, so if running above 100% scaling you get the issue. So if running a large monitor at 100% scaling you’re good to go. But for people on the road with a UHD laptop it’s a real pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still wrong. My 32" monitor is at 150% and the 27" at 175%. No issues. This is purely a 4K on a tiny monitor issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate