• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Win) does not sync aspect ratio changes to cloud

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic v10 (Win) does not sync aspect ratio changes to cloud. Images appear distorted (stretched) when you view them on mobile devices. Using the edit mode in cloud based Lightrooms shows that the aspect ratio change has not come through during sync.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be working fine for me with LrC 10.0 & Win10.  I tested with dng, heic, jpg, & cr2 files that started both in LrC and also ones taken with the Lr Mobile (iOS) camera app.  In all cases, changing aspect ratios & cropping synced properly back and forth between the all platforms - LrC, Mobile & Web.

A step by step and/or video of what you're doing & seeing might help identify what's going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Sony's .arw and .dng files. 

By default my camera is set to apply a 16x9 crop which is respected by Lightroom. After importing my pictures I change the crop for all portrait orientation photos to "Original" which gives me the full uncropped image. Syncing these will lead to a distorted image in all cloud applications. Opening the crop tool in any of those shows me a a cropped frame (16x9) as after import. Thats not correct! And the images are stretched! if I then apply "Original" in the cloud apps the image will be displayed correctly there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those details are definitely helpful and tell me that what I tested probably doesn't apply.  I'll try to replicate what you're doing when I can get to my camera, although I can't do it with an .arw.

A couple questions - 

- Is this new behavior since upgrading to LrC 10?

- Does it only happen with images in portrait orientation?

- Do you apply any presets on import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is new behavior since v10.

No, it does happen with landscape orientation as well

Yes, but only "auto" settings (basic toning).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, this only happens if you do the standard (un)crop to "Original". If I use any other aspect ratio change it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Tom said above:

"A step by step and/or video of what you're doing & seeing might help identify what's going on." 

I haven't been able to replicate from the instructions received thus far. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 1: Import RAW Image

01Testimageimported-13a08ac7-e86b-4c04-aad0-a43ed36ae3a4-1845564231.png

Step 2: Go to develop and change aspect ratio from 16:9 to "Original"

02standard169aspect-69727748-e2ef-4d2e-8f56-23e6949a69ea-58279584.jpg
03changetooriginalaspect-1bf859eb-8086-4b33-a64e-0b6c7e44937a-1856667530.jpg

Step 3: Wait for the picture to sync to Adobe cloud. Goto cloud and open image. The image is distorted!

04distortedimageinlightroomclo-92baac65-1664-4646-9a79-e47756c9c874-1210424463.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are using an in-camera crop to get your 16:9 ratio.  Can you provide a sample image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is an in-camera crop. Which is perfectly interpreted by Lightroom Classic.

The described workflow above worked well in Version 9.

When I now (version 10) open the photo in Lightroom cloud and enter the crop tool I can see that my new aspect setting diddn't sync. Meaning the aspect ratio frame is still 16:9 instead of "original" as it is in Lightroom Classic. The underlying image however is streched.

I do have a sample image right out of the camera. It is 20 MB large. How can I submit it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can put it in a Creative Cloud/Dropbox or similar and share the link and I will grab it. 

If privacy is a concern let me know and I will send you instructions for sharing the link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the file and was able to replicate. I will be logging a bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am still waiting for a fix. Even in Lightroom version 10.2. the problem still persists.

For me one of the major advantages of Lightroom sync to the cloud is unusable.

Sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic I created a collection of images and had SYNCH on. The album was created in Lightroom.com OK.

One landscape CR3 image was later used to create two virtual copies, both in portrait format with differing crops (I also had two snapshots of one of these VCs)

This revised Lightroom.com image was no longer displayed in landscape format, but in portrait ratio stretched/squashed vertically.

Pixel size CR3 in-camera 6720x4480, first landscape synch 5974x4107, updated portrait version 2426x3639.

To fix the problem I tried removing it from the collection and re-adding it but it did not appear to fix the problem (although in retrospect, I can't be sure, but that might have been a browser cache issue not showing the changed image although I did try refreshing the browser, Chrome Win10.) I finally recreated the landscape format in JPG, deleted the corrupted image RAW version from the collection and imported/added the JPG version to the collection.

(sorry if this is a duplicate post but first time I signed in the post screen cleared without any "posted" message)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some photos are totally distorted in the lightroom cloud, they are not distorted at all in the lightoom classic library. The photos in the online library are synced automatically with lightroom classic. The pictures are also distorted when downloaded from the cloud and also for other people with access to this cloud library.

Pleas help to find a way to avoid this error, like this the cloud library is not usable, because it is unpredictable when and why the distortion happens. The last time I just deleted the photo from the cloud and synced again but this is not a permanent solution for our company.

This error happened now for the second time in two months with 7 out of 56 photos.

EDIT: It seems that this error only happens to pictures in the .ORF - raw file format.

Nol5C2A_016153885235911-dc7f503a-5c26-44f7-afca-5c2198317912-1778673852.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk @TomM 

Same issue happens with .ARW files. I could trace the error to the following procedure:

The photos were shot in the 16:9 ratio (the original aspect ratio of the camera is 4:3) this means the camera shoots in 4:3 but the photo's aspect ratio ist 16:9. When I now change the aspect ratio in lightroom to original and upload the picture to lightroom cloud the aspect ratio frame is still 16:9 instead of "original" as it is in Lightroom Classic. The underlying image however is streched. As mentioned by @Lvpus 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problems with photos synced to LR cloud but only viewed at full screen.  The thumbnail are OK.  All images that are distorted were modified in Photoshop and saved as either a PSD or TIF.  However not all psd's or tif's are distorted.  Most of them are.  The distortion is severe.  Raw files and jpg are fine.  There is no distortion once I upload them to Adobe Portfolio.  It also has a strange symbol on the bottom Right corner.  None of my photos that are not distorted have these symbol.  All these photos have a custom crop.  I am using LR Classic ver 10.2   See picture.

Distortedphoto-53dd2e9a-a5da-4c46-a30f-0914e35838fb-223395813.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been a while since anyone reported on this problem.  7 Months ago Rikk reported this as a bug.  Has there been any progress fixing the problem?  Having badly distorted pictures when syncing to the cloud is a big issue.  Right now I can't use the cloud to share my photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a problem with photos being distorted after syncing to LR cloud but only viewed at full screen.  The thumbnail are OK.  All images that are distorted were modified in Photoshop and saved as either a PSD or TIF.  However not all psd's or tif's are distorted.  Most of them are.  The distortion is severe.  Raw files and jpg are fine.  There is no distortion once I upload them to Adobe Portfolio.  It also has a strange symbol on the bottom Right corner.  None of my photos that are not distorted have these symbol.  All these photos have a custom crop.  I am using LR Classic ver 10.2   See picture.

Distortedphoto-e67ce9b1-eb68-4fd3-94bb-3b45c524f2a6-223395813.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is being merged into an existing authoritative thread for better tracking and response. Please review the official answer (if any) in the second post on the thread for more information.   

This is likely a related issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue seems to have started again but even worse.  Now all my pictures uploaded to the cloud and viewed on a web page are distorted.  It seems to think my pictures are 360 deg pictures.  It was fixed but is now broken again.  LR Classic ver 11.4

Please help as this is my preferred way to share pictures.

RAW file screen capture from web.RAW file screen capture from web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am having the same problem and I'm on a Mac. Upon further investigation it seems to be a bug on cropping. Everything looks normal on the desktop LR Classic, but is distorted in online album. This only happens when I select the crop in camera, but uncrop it in lightroom afterwards. And only happens when I uncrop to full image, if I recrop it in any other ways the problem disappears.
So my hacky solution is to instead of uncrop to the whole image, I crop it ever so slightly on one side to avoid the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate