• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Aperture Import Incredibly Slow - Lightroom

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Lightroom Aperture Import plug-in to move my Aperture library of about 400GB into Aperture.

But it's crazy slow. After three full days, running 24 hours a day, it's only up to 41%.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

[I copied this from a previous thread]

Many people (including me) have experienced such problems attempting to import very large Aperture libraries. Adobe used an inappropriate algorithm, which slows down progressively as more photos are imported.   If it took 4.5 days to go 60% through the first 50K, it could easily take weeks to complete the remaining 33K. (Yes, I plotted a graph at one point of photos imported per sec versus number of photos imported so far.)

Using a different arrangment

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the Adobe Community!

Could you please let us know the version of Lightroom you're working on?

Also, please have a look at this conversation and let us know if it helps?  https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/aperture-lightroom-to-lightroom-not-working

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic 8.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I copied this from a previous thread]

Many people (including me) have experienced such problems attempting to import very large Aperture libraries. Adobe used an inappropriate algorithm, which slows down progressively as more photos are imported.   If it took 4.5 days to go 60% through the first 50K, it could easily take weeks to complete the remaining 33K. (Yes, I plotted a graph at one point of photos imported per sec versus number of photos imported so far.)

Using a different arrangment of disks won't help overcome the bogus algorithm.

Many people have had success breaking their large library into smaller multiple libraries (e.g. no larger than 5K photos).  These smaller libraries import relatively fast, and while it will be tedious to import 16 separate libraries of 5K photos each, you're more likely to actually get the job done.

There have been many reports of other gotchas other than the number of photos, and if you encounter them, importing small libraries will make it easier to troubleshoot and work around.

Also, I recommend starting over with a clean LR catalog.

If you run into unsurmountable problems using the import plugin, you could try the old manual method, well described here (the article also includes useful hints for using the plugin):

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

It's a shame that Adobe and Apple did such a bad job with the Aperture end-of-life (Apple explicitly recommended LR, and they may have provided technical help to Adobe). But not unexpected from either.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks to me like the answer is to avoid the Aperture import plug-in. After five days the ~500GB Aperture library import had only reached 50%. By that point it had slowed to the point where it was only adding another roughly two percent per day. I cancelled the operation and trashed the half-completed import.

I reread the article linked above and followed the instructions that the author calls "The Old Method." http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

This involves making sure Aperture is only using referenced libraries, then importing the images into Lightroom with the Add command, which leaves images in place on the hard drive. 

That whole process took less than half an hour. All the metadata was properly imported. Aperture's Projects organization was preserved (except for Smart Projects).

Lightroom is still working on creating the Previews for the files, but that's only going to take a few hours, and I can still use the application while that's going on anyway.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I know this thread is now a year old but I've encountered basically the same issue.

I have a brand new mac-mini with the M1 processor and the latest version of LR Classic and my OS is Big Sur.

When I got this computer I decided to move my entire Aperture over to LR. 

I have two Aperture libraries, the first is about 345GB in size and the second is 392GB in size. 

I was able to import the first library without any issues, it tood almost 2 days. 

I'm now currently trying to import the second library and after 2 days it's hovering around 42% complete. It is painfully slow and it seems to be getting slower. 

It seems from previous answers that I need to stop the import and then either break up my Aperture library into several smaller ones or do the old way by manually selecting photos.

I have a couple of questions about his process. If I cancel the import now, what happens to the media that has already been imported? Does it all get thrown out or does it stay in LR? If it stays in LR how can I avoid importing duplicates in either of the above methods? 

Thank you,
Zach

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zach.  

I'm in the same boat as you so would be interesting to compare notes.  M1 MBP/16Gb/1Tb here, migrating a 275Gb Aperture library from my ancient Mid 2009 MPB. I started the import into LR Classic a couple of days ago.  

I chose the following option for the import:

Import full size preview

All my masters were  'managed', i.e. in the Aperture library so I don't think the referenced files settings make any difference

While not exactly speeding along, it was making progress of around 2% per hour.  After around 36 hours, I checked again and it had noticeably slowed down.  Finally at around around 48 hours it was crawling. from 47% to 48% had taken 4-5 hours. At this point 290,000 photos had been imported. Instead of 1 import every 2-5 seconds or so, each one was taking 30-60 seconds and the mac spinny circle appeared frequently.  I contacted support who said there was no way to speed it up, but stopping and restarting the import should help.  They assured me that no duplicates would be created and everything already imported would be retained.

I followed this advice, with the added step of quitting LR C after the import process stopped (in the hope threads or memory or something would be cleaned up). All photos imported thus far were in LR C.

Sure enough, I restarted the import with the same options and it rattled through to 48% in about 10 minutes and the All Photos count did not increase at all. Once it got to 48% it started importing for real again. All photos count currently up to 305,000 and progress is up to 49%. That 1% has taken around 25 minutes.

In the meantime, on the old MBP in Aperture, I'm currently exporting each year of my library as a separate Aplibrary, in case the bulk process fails completely. In that case I will import a year at a time.... something I wish I'd done in the first place!  How's yours going? Any tips to share?

Thanks

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops... an order of magnitude high on the photo counts!!   was up to 29,000, now on 30,500 ish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I couldn't wait, I quit out of the import.

So this became a pretty easy two step process. 

I went into Aperture and made all of my photos "referenced" in stead of managed. I have about 169,000 photos/videos, so I have more than enough space on my drive so I relocated all of the "original" photos to a new folder.

I then went into LRC and created a new LR folder on the drive. I then imported all the photos. 

So the downside to this method is that any edits to the photos do not come over, any organization that I did in Aperture doesn't come over and any of the albums I made don't come over.

But I found that as LRC organizes by date, this wasn't that big of an issues (except for photos that I had that I put in the correct date on Aperture but the created date of the file is wrong so I've had to make some adjustments.) 

Doing this process was very quick and now all of my photos are easy to find on both the finder level and in LRC. 

This is a link in the other thread and I basically used "The Old Method". 

http://lightroomsolutions.com/articles/migrating-from-aperture-to-lightroom-where-do-i-begin/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Break it up into smaller Aperture libraries and import them that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the past six months or so, a number of people have reported that the Avalanche program does an excellent job of migrating your photos from Aperture to LR:

https://cyme.io/avalanche-photo-conversion/

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines