Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best cloud backup solution for lightroom

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm new to both Lightroom and Cloud storage so was wondering if I could get a little bit of advise on backing up my images both to an onsite system and to the cloud.

I am a professional photographer however I no longer work for myself so the back up is mainly for my personal images.  At the moment I have two independent desktop hard drives, a Lacie 500 Gig (which is pretty much full) and a WD 1T which has approx 250 Gig left on it.  These have both got a lot of the same stuff on them so in total I really dont have more than approx 750Gig of data.

I am keen to really improve both my back up and general workflow hence heading over to Lightroom which from what I can see just about gives me the perfect database (almost DAM's) solution for organising \ cataloging my shots.

I was thinking (and this is where I would love your advise) of purchasing something like the WD Mycloud mirrored 4T drive which would in effect give me two 2T onsite drives and then linking up to a cloud storage solution for an offsite copy of my backup.  I had read somewhere that Dropbox works well with Lightroom but could someone give me an idea of how much, if any functionality can be used in LR while storing in the cloud, or is this copy purely a data backup and no more?

Would really appreciate any comments on both the overall concept and any other cloud based suppliers such as iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive etc.  I'm not looking to spend a fortune as I cant offset this against any business type costs but want to put a reasonable backup solution in place.

One other thing, when backing up to the cloud, would I just have to upload any items of new data or will the cloud accept my whole backup folder and then just pick out the new items to backup accordingly?

Many thanks - John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was thinking (and this is where I would love your advise) of purchasing something like the WD Mycloud mirrored 4T drive which would in effect give me two 2T onsite drives and then linking up to a cloud storage solution for an offsite copy of my backup.

I have no experience with WD MyCloud drives, but I have read a number of problems with them in this forum. Search the forum and see for yourself.

I had read somewhere that Dropbox works well with Lightroom but could someone give me an idea of how much, if any functionality can be used in LR while storing in the cloud, or is this copy purely a data backup and no more?

People do use Dropbox to share photos and the catalog file as well on two (or more) different computers. However, this is NOT cloud storage, as Lightroom does not allow photos to be stored in the cloud. You could consider Dropbox to be a cloud backup mechanism.

I personally use Carbonite as my cloud backup. I set it up to back up the entire contents of my two internal drives, which allows complete backups of all Lightroom files and photos, plus of course all other non-Lightroom documents and files are backed up as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DJ

I'm having a similar dilemma with many photos in many places and having recently dropped my external passport for Mac drive, have lost some precious photos. I have a quote to retrieve them but it's terrifying in magnitude 🙈

Anyway can you please explain what this Carbonite is and how to get it?

Many thanks ! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Carbonite is a cloud backup service. Go to their website, it's all explained there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR really doesn't contain any Cloud system, or even on site system, for auto backups of your image files. That is totally up to you.

I personally don't trust any Cloud based system and don't really see the need to use them for extra copies of my files. YMMV.

I have multiple computers at home that I use for redundant copies of all my files and multiple external drives for the same thing.

If you really want to create copies of your images on a cloud based system I don't see one better then any other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, I use Carbonite. I tell it the drive  and/or folders to back up and it does it seemlessly in the background. I have a 4TB "art drive" and it backs up any new files (raw or Jpeg) using bandwidth when I'm not using it. I leave my system running most of the time and it keep all the files updated. Plus I turn it lose on my "C" drive so all my files in Documents and downloads and web creation folders... Lets just say if I touch something during the day, it backs it up.

I do not at this time do the higher tier which backs up the system files for rebuilding the OS. I'm of a mind that with all that I'm backing up I don't mind a clean install every few years. It helps to clear out the cobwebs.  I've found I can reload my system in a day with most all important programs.

But I also like that Carbonite will back up my phone as well. I've been using this for 3 phones now and even though the old phones are no longer connected, all the images are still there. So I have videos and images taken with these phones from years ago. After my dad passed, I found I had videos of him from way back 6-10 years ago, very cool and comforting for me.

It's not free but little in life is... I hope this helps.

Jeff Folger

http://www.vistaphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for coming back to me guys.

So dj, when you say 'Lightroom does not allow photos to be stored in the cloud' does this mean that I couldn't use any kind of functionality through Lightroom if I was using the cloud but could do a straight backup of all the original images from my HD (and catalogue files, presets etc, or not??).  Will check out the WD Myclound info on here.

I have to say 'Just shoot me', I am starting to wonder about whether I should just have a third portable HD and keep this offsite.  I suppose I could back up the main drive on this once a week / month although that still means once a week (or month) all three drives will be in the same place but I'd have to be very unlucky for something to happen that wiped all these out on that particular day.

Glad you have all of your old images from your phones Jeff - I lost a huge amount of family images in a computer crash about 8 years ago - no backups back then so pretty galling!   Carbonite looks interesting and relatively inexpensive - will check this out further.   I've just done a complete reinstall of my computer which is so much easier than it used to be now that a lot of the programs are cloud based.  This gives me a clean sheet to start my new digital workflow on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So dj, when you say 'Lightroom does not allow photos to be stored in the cloud' does this mean that I couldn't use any kind of functionality through Lightroom if I was using the cloud but could do a straight backup of all the original images from my HD (and catalogue files, presets etc, or not??).

Lightroom does not work with photos stored in "the cloud". Photos must be stored on local disks (internal or external) or a network drive in order for Lightroom to use them.

Backups can be anywhere, hard disk, network, cloud, wherever you want them to be.

I have to say 'Just shoot me', I am starting to wonder about whether I should just have a third portable HD and keep this offsite.  I suppose I could back up the main drive on this once a week / month although that still means once a week (or month) all three drives will be in the same place but I'd have to be very unlucky for something to happen that wiped all these out on that particular day.

In my opinion, any backup plan that requires human intervention (like storing a HD offsite) has a fatal flaw ... humans tend to get lazy and or forget. Now maybe you are the most disciplined person on the entire planet and you never get lazy and never forget ... good for you; but if you're not such a person, then this is a poor excuse for a backup plan, even though the risks may be 1 in 10 bazillion. The better backup plans, in my opinion, are the ones that are automatic, and do not require humans to perform a task. And as stated above, this backup plan is relatively real-time, when new files are created, they are automatically backed up within some time frame, usually a few hours or less, whereas your off-site backup updates once a week or once a month, whatever you choose. This is why Carbonite and similar services are the best form of off-site backups. No human action is required (except to pay the bill once a year or once every two years, whatever). Yes, these plans are probably a bit more expensive than the plan you stated, but in my opinion, this is worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dj - point taken and very well put.  Will look into Carbonite!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just remember when folks use the term " cloud" as I always tell people its not cloud storage but someone elses computer!

I would buy a NAS device with multiple drives, Putting large images up on someone elses computer is time consuming and uses up limited bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oz_photo wrote:

Just remember when folks use the term " cloud" as I always tell people its not cloud storage but someone elses computer!

I would buy a NAS device with multiple drives, Putting large images up on someone elses computer is time consuming and uses up limited bandwidth.

And that's fine as long as you don't worry about fire or flood or alien invasion or meteorite destroying all of your computer hardware and now you have zero copies of your valuable files.

I do worry about those things, and thus I'd rather have the cloud backup, even despite it's drawbacks. By the way, the terms of service of Carbonite (and I assume other services) does not allow them to make use of your files in any way.

Use of Your Personal Information. Carbonite will not sell Your Personal Information to third parties. Your Account Information is protected by a password chosen by You for Your privacy and security.  You must ensure that You will keep Your password strictly confidential. You are responsible for any and all actions taken using Your Account Information and password, and You agree to immediately notify Carbonite of any unauthorized use of which You become aware.

You can update Your Account Information by accessing the password-protected, web-based Carbonite administrative console and supplying Your valid login credentials or by e-mailing Carbonite at privacy@carbonite.com. Carbonite will not view the contents of Your encrypted stored data without your consent, which is hosted within the United States with Carbonite or its third-party cloud storage providers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always keep a duplicate off site apart from my Drobo, I shoot too many images to keep uploading via the net. Aliens will hit the data centres first!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a bit of a shame that if purchasing a plan from Carbonite, if you have a single PC and want to include a single external HD it costs $99 year and yet if you have a single Mac and want to include the same said HD it cost $269 per year.

I've read some of the issues people are having with the WD MyCloud mirrored drive (discussed earlier in this thread) when using with LR, are there any folks out there on Macs who are using this drive and its working exactly how it should?

Thanks John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking into cloud storage as well. Though a physical copy needs to be on the computer, Onedrive, Dropbox, idrive , Google drive etc will sync them to the cloud, so every change you make to a file will be reflected in a copy that sits in the cloud. If your hard drive fails, you still have your copy in the cloud, is my understanding. Though it is still prudent to backup regularly to a removable hard drive, NAS and such, it seems this may be a good second safety net.

I've heard too many horror stories of people paying Carbonite, Crashplan, Backblaze for years, only to find their files were gone when they needed to retrieve them.

So I'm curious, as well, to hear from people who use cloud storage, and if so, what is your preferred way? (google drive, one drive etc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the cloud storage itself, go with Google Nearline or Amazon Glacier. The pricing is 0,01$/GB per month. I have 120GB of pictures and it costs me only 1.20$/month. There's restoring fees too that are about the same but you should technically never have to restore anything *fingers crossed*.

For the application, go with Cloudberry Backup (free for personal use).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I only take family photos really and used Adobe Revel for storage and sharing, but they closed it last year. As a heads up, In the closure notice they said that cloud storage would come to Lightroom CC some point.

It kind of is at the moment with Lightroom Mobile and Web (to which you can upload hi res and RAWs) but (A) It isn't guaranteed as a backup and (B) means  working in a totally non-standard way in Lightroom Desktop. Therefore not really recommended, although it's my workflow as I'm looking for a Revel type solution.

When/If it does appear in Lightroom it will be interesting to see how it is implemented across all of the platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great topic and thread. I'd like to share my current personal setup with you.

I am a professional designer with years of photography experience; 27+ years. A majority of my photography is for personal use. I use an iMac 27" with a Promise Technology 18TB Pegasus2 R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage Array. This RAID provide redundant backup so if a harddrive fails it will alert me and I simply swap out the bad drive with a new one. I always have two extra harddrives on hand in case multiple drives fail. Then I also have a yearly subscription to an online cloud backup service called CrashPlan. CrashPlan provides unlimited backup! What is so great about CrashPlan is it allows you to selectively back up folders and files from your primary PC harddrive and from an external harddrive. When using a service like this speed is always the number one concern. I have a 150Mbps Internet fiber optic connection so I get 150 up and down. Also the Promise Technology 18TB Pegasus2 R6 Thunderbolt 2 RAID Storage Array provides Thunderbolt 2 connections to my iMac. Initially backing up all of my 2TB+ of photos takes a few days but once it is completed all new photos will be intermittently backed up in minutes or hours.

I don't fully trust cloud backup services that is why the local RAID drive is critical.  I've used an external RAID for over 16 years and have never lost my images. My first RAID was a 24TB Netgear solution and now I am with Promise because they are Thunderbolt 2 compatible.

You put a lot of time shooting all of your photos over many many years. It's worth the investment for this setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update on this post, Lightroom have a 1TB cloud storage that syncs with Lightroom desktop now. It's not a backup as such but might be useful for anyone wanting cloud storage. I never used revel, but perhaps creative cloud 1TB is an alternative?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One TB is simply not enough, or I would seriously consider it. Running out of room on my hard drive fast. I just signed up with pcloud, which gives me 2 tb for $10 a month ($8/month if you pay for the year) and it now has a Lightroom plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines