• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best lightroom performance options?

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I recently decided to try moving my Lightroom catalog and image files over to a LaCie thunderbolt portable external hard drive.  I was wondering if this decision was going to slow down speed performance in Lightroom CC?  I currently use an iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16gb memory, 1TB fusion drive, and the Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB.  The screen is the 21" 4k retina. 

The main reasons for the move, were obviously to free up space on the iMac hard drive, but also to be able to share one catalog between the iMac and my macbook pro while traveling.  Just kind of second guessing my decision based on performance in the develop module...

I noticed quite a lag sometimes in the develop module, prior to moving my catalog and image files to the Lacie external drive this morning.  Now I'm reading it may be better to keep the catalog and image files on an internal drive because of faster performance?  I shoot with a Sony A7rii which has ridiculously large files that take at least twice as long to import as my old 24mp Sony A7ii...  Almost has me thinking of switching back to Canon.

I apologize ahead of time, I know this issue has been beaten to death in the forums, but Ive just read so many conflicting opinions.  Hoping my more specific gear setups will provide a better answer.

Any advice would be awesome!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Now I'm reading it may be better to keep the catalog and image files on an internal drive because of faster performance?

As far as I know, this is not correct.

Catalog and previews should go on your fastest disk (usually the internal disk). Photos can go on a slower disk, you will never notice the difference in Lightroom.

If your catalog file has to go on an external disk (as in your case), then you may see some slowdown because of this.

I noticed quite a lag sometimes in the develop module,

Lag whe

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm reading it may be better to keep the catalog and image files on an internal drive because of faster performance?

As far as I know, this is not correct.

Catalog and previews should go on your fastest disk (usually the internal disk). Photos can go on a slower disk, you will never notice the difference in Lightroom.

If your catalog file has to go on an external disk (as in your case), then you may see some slowdown because of this.

I noticed quite a lag sometimes in the develop module,

Lag when you try what function in the develop module? Be very specific. We can't give you better advice until we have the details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keeping your catalog and preview cache on the fastest drive will improve performance. However, whether or not you will actually notice the difference is up for debate.

Your primary goal of sharing the catalog and image between multiple computers is of much more importance than any marginal performance change you will get using an external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also FYI, Adobe's Lightroom optimization help page has a bit of information in this area... plus there's another new resource that's very helpful generally, and covers a lot of ground:

This free 47-page PDF eBook contains the best tips and tricks to get the best performance from Lightroom, including optimizing your hardware, Lightroom settings and your workflow. It also includes an exclusive performance checklist.

It's available here:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/performance/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved 46,000 photos to La Die thunderbolt drive and have found no slowdown in functions.  I have an 2011 iMac with only 8G ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

quill gordon wrote:

I moved 46,000 photos to La Die thunderbolt drive and have found no slowdown in functions. I have an 2011 iMac with only 8G ram.

Which corresponds to my understanding, the speed of the disk which houses the photos has virtually zero effect on Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines