Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book module slows down computer

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've created an image heavy book in Lightroom, with appr 600 images.

I'm using a 3-month old laptop on windows 10, equiped with i5 core and 8GB RAM. Sufficient to say I never experienced any slowing down util now, even in development module.

In the last few days, I encountered a very troubling problem :

- I start the computer, then Lightroom and access the book. I work normally

- After appr 5-15 mn computer starts to become very very slow, each action taking a few seconds to complete

- in particular, the following actions are very slow : right click, changing any parameter. Also, windows as a whole became sluggish (easy test : I try to select shortcuts on the desktop, it takes a lot of time).

- Windows task manager shows nothing : no CPU or RAM use, nothing !

- I shutdown the computer, restart, everything works fine for 5-15 mn and then it starts again.

- I have no such problem if I do anything else than start lightroom and open this particular book.

Obviously, it's impossible to work like that.

Has anybody ever encountered a similar problem ? Any advice, solution ?

Thx,

Romain

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version NUMBER of Lightroom are you using?

Windows task manager shows nothing : no CPU or RAM use, nothing !

What about disk usage at this time? Is there heavy disk usage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version NUMBER of Lightroom are you using?

Version The latest (I think 6.8, updated very recently)

What about disk usage at this time? Is there heavy disk usage?

None, absolutely nothing. The computer seems totally ok. No virus of malware found. Shutting down internet access does not help. Neither does shutting down all backgroudn programs/services. I never encountered such a thing.

(sorry I couldn't find the quote option in the editor).

Romain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I think the activity monitors are wrong, because clearly something is going on.

My only guess is that the task is too resource intensive for your computer, which seems a little underpowered for this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

I have the exact same problem since a few weeks back. It is definitely not a question of underpowered hardware - I have previously used the exact same computer for the same thing with no difficulty. I did not make any changes to the computer during that time - no software was changed, other than the usual windows updates.

Even after upgrading from LR6.x to the latest 6.8, the problem remains.

Can't seem to find any solutions anywhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating your graphics drivers as outlined here:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

You can determine the graphics adaptor model here:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to suggest remedies. Unfortunately, I've already tried updating the graphics drivers but it did not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem.  I am using a PC and this problem is only occurring in the book module of lightroom cc. Even with a small book of less than 20 images I am only able to work for about 10 minutes before the system slows right down and stops for minutes at a time.

Graphics cards are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same slow down in book mod.  After about 5 or 10 min I have to exit and reboot computer. Other than book mod everything works instantly in LR. I have the latest of everything and raw cache is 50G and on ssd.

Attention ADOBE :  Is there anything you can suggest  on this clearly defined software problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1  I did experience exact same problem.  Book module slowed to a halt. The OS also slowed to a halt with no CPU or RAM use.

(at the time CC2015.8 Windows-10)

I totally disabled my nvidia card in Device manager,  un-installed anything related to Nvidia, re-started windows.

Windows-10 took a little time to find a suitable driver for my graphics.

But now I am back to normal Lr working.

I am free of all the Nvidia "Game Ready" garbage that I am sure was responsible for the slowness.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Book module gets unusable slow after a short while. There is no load on my cpu, gpu or hard drive at all. After that everything else in lightroom is unusable too. Only restarting my complete PC helps. Seems to be the same problem you have but on a completely different machine. Even trying with a new book with only a couple of pictures in the collection doens't help and produces the same problem.

I have an ASUS GL502VS with a GTX 1070 running Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem.  I updated my Nvidia drivers and now all is perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. It reproducable occurs when changing the layout of a page. The whole PC slows completely down, and every click has 5 seconds delay while n Windows-Task manager there is about zero CPU & very little RAM usage shown.

I've tried the following without any success:

1. As I've read that this might be a graphic driver issue I've updated to the latest Nvidia driver, but makes no difference.
  2. Activated/de-activated GPU-use in preferences, makes no difference (except that when activated LR crashes in developing module, so I usually have it deactivated)
  3. uninstalled / re-installed graphics card and used different driver versions - no difference
  4. deactivated graphics card in windows device manager - no difference
  5. downgraded from LR 8.0 to LR 7.5 - no difference
  6. downgraded to LR 5 - here it works without problems! But LR5 cannot not load the newer LR8 catalog - so this is not a valid workaround either

I've spend several hours now to solve that issue without success and am more than frustrated. Anyone who has found a solution?

My system parameters:

• Windows 10 (latest updates installed)
  • Lightroom Classic CC (8.0)
  • Nvidia GeForce GT 740M
  • IntelCore i7-4702MQ, 4 cores
  • 8 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this, Adobe? I'm really excited about all the features that get rolled out in this product, but if they are underdeveloped - maybe hold off?

I got to the point with 8.2 that it was unusable to build a book - my entire computer (Intel i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz, Quad Core, Win 64 Pro, 16GB RAM) grinds to a halt and menus seem to be unavailable in other programs. Basically, the same issues others have reported. If I were working in an Office program, I'd have been done with this book by now. At this pace it will take me the rest of 2019 to kludge together a single book (and I have more than one to complete). Today I rolled back to 7.5. So far, the Book module is somewhat more responsive, but the issues are not resolved. An example: I have a Word document open and I cannot change the font color on a selection. When you attempt to use the drop down menu, it just flashes without enough time to select a color. And it appears to be getting worse the longer I use Lightroom.

I just spent 10+ minutes attempting to change the Leading value for the font in a text box. I was using a stopwatch in order to try to gather some data to report here. I simply click on the numeric field at the far right so that it becomes editable and I can type the value I want (rather than use the slider). The first time I timed it, it was 38 seconds until the existing value was selected and editable. Unfortunately, editing it didn't work. This required many more tries ranging from 53 seconds to >2 minutes (at which point I give up, click elsewhere, and try again) JUST to get to a point where it is ready to accept a new value. It never took a new value. I shut down Lr and restarted. That didn't seem to make a difference. For someone using text in a book, having to spend 2+ minutes for every text box to modify three values (font, size, leading) starts to really add up. And that's just one of the artifacts of whatever the issue is.

Additionally, I continue to have the (previously) reported bug where zooming into a book page at any level will not allow me to scroll left or right. In other words, I can only zoom into the centerline and then scroll up/down. Thus, I have to do all work at a scale that allows me to see the entire page. Very odd. The zoom functionality works correctly in other modules.

One other note that I don't know if others experience - when I save custom pages in the Book module, it appears to work. However, when I attempt to use the drop down to select a custom page, they are all overlapped and jumbled and essentially impossible to select with intention. And only a few are partially visible to even attempt to click in the correct area to select.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this problem using Lightroom 9.2.1 and GTX 970 graphics.

I find using the book module slows the whole system down, popups appear empty, entering text is very slow and generally the whole system becomes unusable - all applications not just Lightroom are impacted. Closing lightroom the whole system is still unresponsive and the only solution is to reboot. Generally it means any Book Module work must be done in a self contained session. Even within lightrom moving from Book module to say Library module to add/edit captions is unworkable - entering text becomes very slow and can takes >30s to accept new text.

I have tried:

- updating Nvidia drivers

- removing all drivers and letting windows locate and install a driver (usually an older version)

- disabling/enabling GPU acceleration in Lightroom

None of these things have made a difference. So I am still looking for a solution. My conclusion is it may be better to use the Blurb standalone tools in future - though the principal of being able to switch from image edit to book layout is valuable.

I have had this issue for some years now - and it has become very frustrating - though I probably make most books outside lightroom for these reasons.

So any other solutions would be appreciated...Thanks

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tony7777 says:

"I am also getting this problem"

Instead of posting your problem at the end of a very old thread, start a new thread and give all the details. Much better chance people will react to your new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tony, I have exactly the same issue. Book module slows down my computer, all the system, and only solution is to reboot. I also have the Nvidia card with drivers just updated in a HP Z230 PC, Windows 10 Pro, I wonder if you have been able to find a solution?  Thanks in advance for your answer.

Ernesto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ernesto1674,

I have not found a complete solution to this problem. But my workaround does the job; and is at least much faster than rebooting.

When I get this problem I disable the graphics card and then re-enable. This causes the screen to flash and 1sec later everything is back to normal.

To make the disable/enable easier there is an app DevManView (from Nirsoft) which lets you save a desktop shortcut to perform the task on the Nvidia card. I have found this very useful.

The idea came from somewhere else – though I now forget where.

https://www.nirsoft.net/articles/disable-enable-uninstall-device-command-line.html for details of DevManView

hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines