Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bridge rating missing in lightroom import

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone 🙂

I have over the last week reorganized all my catalogs and moved them over onto new harddrives, so it is all more systimatic for myself. However when I open a folder and rate the images in brigde (1-5) then the rating doesn't show up in the Lightroom import process. I am so certain that it has shown before and that it's possible to show. Any help would be kindly appreciated, so I can speed up my workflow 

Kind Regards
Freddy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Troubleshooting steps:

1. You may have an import metadata preset that's clearing the rating. In the Import window, in the Apply During Import panel on the right, make sure Metadata is set to None. Then try an import.

2. If that doesn't help, upload a sample photo you're trying to import to Dropbox or similar and paste the sharing link here. (If the photo is a raw, upload the .xmp sidecar file, not the raw itself.) That will tell us if the rating is actually in the file's metadata or not, which will indicate whether the issue is with Bridge or with LR.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, I checked to see if the metadata was set to None, and it was, so I am goning to upload the .xmp sidecar file instead. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rr4gf6mps7ebmez/5C5A7400.xmp?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could avoid this problem entirely by not using Bridge, and rating your photos in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to set Bridge Camera Raw Preferences to Sidecar ".xmp" files as shown below. Lightroom does not access that 'Camera Raw Database.'

Bridge.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Todd, thank you for showing me abobut the camera raw preferences. I checked to see which option I had choosen and it was already set to  sidecar .xmp files. I did think maybe that would have done thr trick though 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is also very true, however I tend to organize and move all my photos in bridge, and sometimes I rate photos and edit them later, without importing them through lightroom. But that is definitely also a sloution 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say that the rating is visable after I have imported the photos to LR though, but it is not visable during the import process

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hint, Lightroom Classic default process is to Read and Write to the Catalog file, at the import of a file raw or other file types if there a xmp sidecar file, or xmp data in the file header created by an application like "Bridge" the data would be read.

While you are working Lightroom the application is reading and writing from the Catalog file.

There is also the option to also have Lightroom "automatically write data to xmp" it does not auto-read from xmp.

If you have this feature selected in Lightroom and you go to a file that the there is a mismatch of the data in the catalog and the file, you should get a prompt offering to apply the data in the file and update the catalog/ or not update.

When you are working in Bridge its process is to write data to the file. I do not believe there is any way to have Bridge update the Lightroom Catalog auto matically.  

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Ratings were ever visible in the import process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Bob that ratings were never visible in the Import module. I just tested it on a raw file, DNG file, and JPEG file rated inside LR, CTRL + S to save metadata, removed the files, and then reimported the files. The ratings do NOT show in the Import module, but they do inside LR once they are imported.

You also need to be careful when applying metadata edits in both Bridge and LR.

1) Any time an edit is applied in Bridge to a file already imported into LR you will need to go to LR menu Metadata> 'Read Metadata from File' to have those edits added to the LR catalog database so they are visible inside LR.

2) If you add ANY edit inside LR you will need to use CTRL + S to save those changes to the file metadata or they will not be visible inside Bridge. You could also set Edit> Catalog Settings to 'Automatically write changes into XMP,' which will do that automatically.

As dj_paige suggests it's simpler and safer do all of your metadata editing inside LR. That said I ocassionally use both LR and PS for metadata eiditing, but I'm well aware of the workflow constraints!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select all your rated files in Adobe bridge by pressing cmd + A in Mac or Ctrl + A in windows, right-click and copy the files to a folder you've created then open those files in lightroom. I hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines