• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bug importing iPhone HEIC photos: "The metadata for this photo has been changed"

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Starting with Lightroom Classic 8.3, when I import iPhone XS HEIC photos, I get an icon on each image indicating the Metadata Status is "Conflict detected." When I click on the icon, or the "Metadata Status" in the "Metadata" panel, I get a pop-up that says, "The metadata for this photo has been changed by both Lightroom and another application. Should Lightroom import settings from disk or overwrite disk settings with those from the catalog?" with buttons "Import Settings from Disk", "Cancel", and "Overwrite Settings".

I have never seen this before, but now I see it every time I try to import iPhone HEIC photos. I haven't changed the method I use to import iPhone photos.

It's frustrating because the icon shows up immediately. I have no other apps running (there presumably could be some background processing running that I'm unaware of). I also have no indication about what metadata has changed; Lightroom doesn't say what is different. So besides the fact I don't expect this "Conflict detected" state to exist, it's hard to make a decision about which option is the appropriate one to choose.

I'm running on a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14.5, running Lightroom Classic 8.3.1. The same behavior exists with Lightroom Classic 8.3. I import iPhone photos by letting my photos sync in iCloud (full resolution), open Apple Photos, select the photos, and export to a local drive with File->Export->Export Unmodified Originals... Then, I import these into Lightroom Classic using Import with the "Move" option to both import the photos and move them to be co-located with all my other Lightroom managed photos.

When I import Canon CR2 RAW files from a CF card via a CF card reader, I don't see this behavior.

When I reverted to Lightroom Classic CC 8.2.1, this behavior didn't happen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BruceForstall,

Sorry that Lightroom 8.3.1 is showing an error message "The metadata for this photo has been changed" while checking the status of metadata for your HEIC images imported from iPhone.

The message is telling you that Lightroom has determined that the file(s) were changed outside of Lightroom after they were imported. If you know that is not the case and the metadata shown in Library module along with any develop adjustments is correct then you can choose the overwrite setting on disk.

If you're original develop adjustments are missing in Lightroom then choose import from disk option. Ideally, you should initially only do this for a few images to make sure that it doesn't overwrite other important metadata already in Lightroom. If all is as it should be for these few test files then you can undertake same procedure in bulk for remainder.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash: did you notice that I pointed out that this seems to be a bug in the current version of Lightroom Classic (8.3.1), since the undesirable behavior does not occur in version 8.2.1?

In my case, the files were not changed outside of Lightroom. I have made no Develop adjustments at all. I do apply a copyright metadata on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also noticed this yesterday and filed this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom: HEIC photos import with Metadata Status: Changed On Disk | Photoshop Family Customer Comm... . Please add your details and constructive opinion, and be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. This will make it a little more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, note that Adobe product developers actively participate in the official feedback forum but are rarely seen here (a user-to-user forum). So your post here won't have much, if any, influence on product development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines