• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can photos stored in the new Apple Photos be quickly transferred to Lightroom? I am not at all happy with this new apple "fix".

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loaded and organized over 1000 photos into the new Apple Photos. It has virtually no editing capabilities and will not export directly to Photoshop. Can Lightroom import the files directly or do I have to start from scratch? Help! I have another 3000 to add and do not want the hassle of the new Apple "fix." Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Awesome!!

Pulling the master first from the Apple Photos library was a brilliant idea. It actually allowed me to figure out what had not yet been imported into my Lightroom library by checking the "do not import suspected duplicates".

Thanks for sharing this tip. I'm not sure I would have thought of it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with the Adobe solution, which is copying the Masters file and then putting it on the desktop is that it eats up space. I've found a quicker and less space-devouring method. Open package contents on Photos Library (control click>show package contents). Move the Masters file to the desktop. Make an alias of the Masters file. Move the Masters file back to the Photos Library package contents. Then open import dialogue box on LightRoom and proceed from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a lot of work when all you have to do is MOVE the Masters folder out of the Photos package and point LR to its new location. By moving you delete the original in the package.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2016 Apr 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm potentially looking to install Lightroom6 having used iPhoto to date. iPhoto has always done what I was looking for until now but I should probably bite the bullet and get a more sophisticated application.

I'm still on Snow Leopard MacOS so will have to upgrade that first (probably to El Capitan). In doing so, I'll lose iPhoto which Apple has replaced with Photos. They tell me that Photos should automatically import my photos from iPhoto- I live in hope. Then I'll need to import my 17000+ photos (some edited and some not i.e. all the masters and any edited copies of photos) plus their keywords and labels into Lightroom6.

From what I've read above and elsewhere, I'm not sure whether a solution exists for my needs. Any ideas please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2016 Apr 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't believe you'll necessarily lose iPhoto. And you certainly won't lose your iPhoto Library. Just be sure that you do not convert it to a Photos library and/or lose it (as you can see from the previous posts it's very difficult to get images from Photos into Lr, but there IS an iPhoto importer that works pretty well).

See How to transfer photos from iPhoto or Aperture to Photoshop Lightroom (Mac OS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's helpful thank you. If that's the case, then I'm more comfortable because the migration from iPhoto to Lightroom looks better than from IPhoto to Photos to Lightroom.

The bit I'm not sure about is "I don't believe you'll necessarily lose iPhoto". I'd assumed that when I upgrade from Snow Leopard to El Capitan, that iPhoto would go and be replaced by Photos and that the iPhoto library would be converted to Photos too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I upgraded my copy of the iPhoto application remained in place and was usable. Still is in El Capitan. But that may depend on whether your version of iPhoto was the most recent. I update regularly, so it was an incremental change for me. You'll have to check your version of iPhoto to see if it works in El Cap. Snow Leopard is rather more ancient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grateful to all in post for this solution!  Just uploaded two cards of photos into LR CC 2015.10/LR 6.10.  One from Canon 7D linked images as usual but second from Fuji XT-1 lost the link.  As newly to LR was stuck but found this post easily.  Used the Master file shortcut as above and identified one lost file.  Interestingly, once I had done that the "missing file" search (previously unsuccessful) sprang into life and all files identified.  So, seems important to select the "find nearby files" in option pane when linking file...  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2017 Jul 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, maybe I got lucky here but installed Lightroom CC and started off by importing my home folder's default "Pictures" folder as I knew it had a lot of images I had not saved to the Mac OS "Photos" application, then backed up my catalog and began to look for help on the same issue you all seem to have found.  However as the "Photos Library.photoslibrary" file itself (yeah catchy name...) which in turn contains the Masters folder was already inside my previously imported "Pictures" folder I did a few checks on random pics in there and Lightroom had already imported them all already.

This is a real result, and probably I was just lucky by my choice of Photos app library location.  But hey, I'm brand new to Lightroom today and just finding my feet so wanted to say thanks to the other posts above which gave me the help I needed.  Cheers guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2017 Aug 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I'm brand new to LR but have been saving pictures to 'Photos' for over a year. Used D.A.R.'s tip of 18th April 2015 (see above) and it's worked perfectly. Thanks to all - it's gratifying to know I'm not the only one who's been struggling!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines