Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalina: "No Photos found" when importing

New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I have up-graded to OS Catalina and now I am also facing an issue. Whilst I can import pictures taken with my smaller cameras from SD cards (directly from the SD slot in my MacBookPro), I can't any longer from my Nikon D 850 (XQD card connected via USB). The import functions shows "no pictures found". Interesting is that Lightroom classic shows the camera on the left side bar.  But the camera is "greyed out" and I can't open or select folders on the card. 

First I wondered whether there is something wrong with the hardware (cable?) or the camera settings (which were not changed), but then again, Lightroom wouldn't be able to show the camera as connected at all.

However, I found a temporary work around ... I opened the cloud based Lightroom and was able to up-load the pictures and then synch the pictures to LR Classic. This is not the way I want to work going forward, but maybe this somehow helps Adobe to track down the cause of the bug.

Best regards

Diethard

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Hi there

Here is how I solved the problem ... but before I go into this, I have to admit, an old saying has confirmed to be true: "in 98%+ the computer problem is sitting in front of the computer.

So, my problem was neither OS X Catalina, nor Adobe LR Classic, it was me.

Remember, with Catalina the (data) protection has been "improved". This means, that we Mac Users need to agree to many more things on our computers, such as giving access of apps to our documents, or the microphone or the camera. W

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diethard - I wrote the following both in Apple Communities and Lightroom Communities just a few days ago.  Now I read  your response from 2019.  So am I having the same problem that you experienced and is this just the way it is with Catalina?  I know you found a workaround but have you had any other success since?

Here is what I wrote:  Previously I have been able to import photos from my Canon EOS 70D to Lightroom Classic. For some reason, I am no longer able to do so. The Canon is my Source in LR but when I click on Import, I get No Photos Found. Photos does pop up and I am able to Import to Photos so I know the camera is communicating, but no such fortune with Lightroom Classic. I am up to date on all - Lightroom Classic and Catalina 10.15.3. I have chatted with an associate and he walked me through importing via Image Capture, but that is not the ideal process plus I was able to import previously, not only with my Canon 70D cabled to my computer but also via a card reader. Any help would very much be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Here is how I solved the problem ... but before I go into this, I have to admit, an old saying has confirmed to be true: "in 98%+ the computer problem is sitting in front of the computer.

So, my problem was neither OS X Catalina, nor Adobe LR Classic, it was me.

Remember, with Catalina the (data) protection has been "improved". This means, that we Mac Users need to agree to many more things on our computers, such as giving access of apps to our documents, or the microphone or the camera. When I connected my Nikon the first time post the Catalina installation, I must have overlooked the pop-up window, asking me to approve/disapprove the access to my data. Overlooking this window means that you "block" the linkage between the Nikon/Canon and your computer, consequently also between the camera and Lightroom.

Some time later, I had the same pop-up window again, and this time I didn't overlook it. And this time I was reminded to the perceived LR problem.

And this opened the path to correct my own mistake:

I went to "system preferences", there I went to "security" and there to "data protection". In this area I went to "data  & folders" - this is where you manage the access of your applications to removable volumes. 

Once I click the box to allow LR to access removable volumes, I was able to link my Nikon as always before. The same applies then for the card-reader ... because it is not the hardware of our cameras, which is accessed by LR, it is the Nikon or Canon formatted SD-card (or whatever medium you use). 

A long response to a your question. I hope that it is the same route for you to solve the problem.

Best regards - and stay healthy!

Diethard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much.  I am in your debt - do you know how long I have tried to get to this point of being able to import photos to LR??? And with your help, I got there.  Thanks to the Communities.  For anyone else who might be struggling, I want to be real specific on the exact steps I took as to get to the "Removable Volumes".  I went to System Preferences > Privacy and clicked on the Lock icon to unlock.  Then I scrolled to Files and Folders and checked Removable Volumes.  BTW, I left Network Volumes unchecked (not sure it matters) and as it turns out, the latter three boxes were already checked - Downloads, Documents and Desktops.  Then clicked on the Lock icon and again, was rewarded with a successful import from my Canon.  Again, my thanks to Diethard for sending me in the right direction.  Very grateful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I failed to add in my above directions that once you scroll down to Files and Folders, you are looking for Adobe Lightroom Classic and for the boxes underneath.  That is where I found Removable Volumes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes this works see below.

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 6.25.06 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines