• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cloud storage quota

Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2018 Aug 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom CC classic and just got into using collections.

Maybe I don't understand things, but I know for a fact the the files that are synced to the cloud far exceed the storage quota of 20gb...20gb doesn't even cover half a shoot, yet Adobe cloud says I'm not even using 1% of my quota.

So my question... What exactly counts towards the storage quota? How is it possible to sync 90gb+ of photos and still not touch my 20gb storage quota? Or should I just keep quiet and consider myself lucky  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

OK....I've had a Facebook messenger chat on the go with Adobe for the past few days and I've FINALLY got the answer...

(and I quote)

"...Hi Dave, Lightroom Classic CC do not use the 20 GB of storage space for smart previews. So, you may sync all your smart previews from collections to the cloud and still not consume the storage space. Note that this should not be treated as a backup for your images, a preview only accounts for a very small percentage of the actual file size. Thanks, ^AK..."

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With LR C CC, Traditional version of LR, what gets synced is Smart Previews not the actual full image and only for the images you place in collections and those specific collections you sync up with the Web, Mobile versions of LR.

Not every image in your catalog gets synced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that not every file in my catalog gets synced (thankfully). Just wondering just how big these smart previews are realistically - in terms of both file size and physical pixel dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check how much space is being used by clicking the triangle next to the identity plate and the drop down will show you the space available, 20GB, and space used.

you can also check that on the Web through your browser. Right click on a synced collection and select "Lightroom Links" then View on Web.

Or adobe.lightroom.com and sign in with your Adobe ID if it doesn't do it automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is where I find it so confusing - going to lightroom.adobe.com, it states I've got 955 files synced across 7 albums - yet clicking on the cloud icon says "0 B of 20 GB used" - clicking on an image and going to the info button reveals a file size.

So if you take 955 images at average 40mb per RAW file - that's around 38Gb of storage (on my PC). Even if you say the smart previews are 2% of the orignal file size, that's still about 750Mb of storage needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file size shown in the Info panel is the File size of the actual, REAL, image and not of the uploaded smart preview. If you download one of them it will be much smaller than the file size shown.

File size of original as shown in LR web.

LR Web File size.PNG

47.9 MB's

If downloaded.

LR Web download file size.PNG

327KB's

It takes some time for the web system to update the space used and if you are only using a small amount of storage space it might show as zero. To small to report, be bothered with reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC-  The Smart Previews uploaded to "Mobile" from the Classic Collections do not take any of your 20Gb allocation. Hence the 0 B used.

Only the (full size) images you take with a mobile device and download to the desktop will occupy space in the 20Gb.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2018 Aug 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WobertC  wrote

IIRC-  The Smart Previews uploaded to "Mobile" from the Classic Collections do not take any of your 20Gb allocation. Hence the 0 B used.

Only the (full size) images you take with a mobile device and download to the desktop will occupy space in the 20Gb.

That is and has to be incorrect. If it was not then you could upload millions of images to the Adobe servers as smart preview and never use up your 20GB's of storage space.

I'm currently using 15MB and have 522 images uploaded to the web and LR CC mobile system. Out of those 522 only one is from my cell phone (I don't often take picture with my phone).

There is no sure fire way to calculate how much space is being used for the number of images you upload. But they are certainly using Adobe server storage space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even use the mobile app or Lightroom CC for editing as they're too limited for my purposes.

So yeah - currently stands at 1202 photos 'synced' and still 0 bytes used. OK - they're less than half the full resolution of the originals - but for web gallery and general use they're absolutely fine!

Maybe I should try syncing another 100Gb and see what happens!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's an interesting one....

Syncing images from Lightroom CC classic (the full fat version) seems to have no impact on the cloud storage space - I've now got 2700+ images now synced and still have the full quota of 20Gb empty...

However, taking a quick snapshot on my phone and uploading to the cloud, I can see 1mb less instaneously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have over 3100 files synced from Collections in Lr Classic cc out of a total of 3146 files and only 1% of my storage of 100 GB has been used.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My situation- CC Plan with 20Gb storage.

I have ~1100 images synced from Classic Collections to Mobile.  (@~1Mb/image = 1100Mb Smart Previews)

If I check my Cloud Storage By Going to Adobe Creative Cloud  I have used 43.5Mb.

And this storage has Presets, Templates, etc in folders.

So where are my "Mobile" images being stored?

Creative Cloud file storage and quota

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is and has to be incorrect. If it was not then you could upload millions of images to the Adobe servers as smart preview and never use up your 20GB's of storage space.

I cannot argue with your logic!

But in the words of Victoria Bampton (aka Lightroom Queen)  https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

In the replies: ...(20GB).... Smart previews synced from Lightroom Classic don’t count toward that allowance though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, personally, couldn't find that statement. Not saying it isn't there or that it isn't factual.

But as I have NO other files uploaded to the Adobe Asset system, Your Files, but do see images if I click the < link at the top left of that page to take me back to the Home screen.

Assets Your Files.PNG

And clicking on any of the links on the left states that I have No Files

But yet I am using 14.7 MB's and I guess rounded to 15MB's.

But on the Home page I see a list, and thumbnails, of images, dated from 2 days ago and 13 days ago ,when I haven't uploaded any new images in months. And to my knowledge and recollection haven't edited any of the images I have synced with the web/mobile LR versions.

Assets Recent.PNG

I'm tempted to upload all of the images I've taken in 2018, about 7000, just to see what the storage allocation goes to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Just Shoot Me, I certainly recall reading that comment by Victoria Bampton in the first week of the release of the New Lightroom CC with the paid storage in the Creative Cloud.

The earlier version of Lightroom CC 2015 allowed the up load of smart previews to the Creative Cloud as a feature of the monthly subscription and as far as I recall there was no limit imposed. So I find it consistent it’s replacement Lightroom Classic CC continued with the same feature.

The 20 GB of storage was for the new application as a starter. I would expect that if one adopted to utilize the new application to store original image files they will very quickly exhaust their limit and would have to purchase the additional storage.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I'm seeing this is this...

• Collections synced from Lightroom Classic CC don't count towards to quota of storage
  • Files added from Lightroom CC or mobile app DO count

Why they've taken this route I have no idea and personally cannot see the logic in it - although given it's only 20Gb and the 'average' SD card often exceeds at least 32Gb, it's great to be able to get previews that you can show off to another person quickly and easily for previewing and selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct!

Lightroom Classic CC retains all the features of the previous version, which including free upload of “Smart Previews” to the Creative Cloud. In my opinion if an addition cost had been introduced then existing users would have objections.

Lightroom CC version 1.x uploads full sized original files raw, tiff, jpeg. Payment for storage capacity above 20 GB is required. Smart previews from LR Classic is not included in the  20 GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do hope you're right on this as even Adobe Lightroom support are giving me the run around on this - they just can't give me a straight answer and dodge the 'unlimited' implication of this question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/syncing-with-classic-and-cloud-storage.33686/

See some more discussion at the link above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I understand it, smart previews DO NOT count against the 20 GB of cloud storage. The reason Classic users are given that storage allotment is because they also have access to the new Lightroom CC. With Lightroom CC they can download images directly using that program, and then the full-sized images WILL be stored in the cloud and will count against that allotment. Then the user has to decide whether or not to purchase additional storage or whether to switch plans.

I recall a while back someone asking why there wasn't a plan offered with Lightroom Classic CC +1 TB of cloud storage. It would be a senseless plan because there would be no possible way to use that amount of cloud storage with just Lightroom Classic CC. There is no way for Lightroom Classic CC to upload full-sized images, only smart previews. And the smart previews DO NOT count against cloud storage allotment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

WobertC   wrote

IIRC-  The Smart Previews uploaded to "Mobile" from the Classic Collections do not take any of your 20Gb allocation

I can confirm that is correct. The information was shared with me on the phone with Tom Hogarty (big boss) last October, and has been repeated in writing since. So yes, you could have millions of smart previews up there. Adobe were the ones who changed the terms of the plans, and they didn't want to break people's existing workflows in the process, so they made this concession.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2018 Aug 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Victoria.

You add the voice of authority and expertise to the question in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got Adobe on the case. Hopefully might get some sort of "official" answer. Not that I don't trust the answers already... I'd just prefer it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK....I've had a Facebook messenger chat on the go with Adobe for the past few days and I've FINALLY got the answer...

(and I quote)

"...Hi Dave, Lightroom Classic CC do not use the 20 GB of storage space for smart previews. So, you may sync all your smart previews from collections to the cloud and still not consume the storage space. Note that this should not be treated as a backup for your images, a preview only accounts for a very small percentage of the actual file size. Thanks, ^AK..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK Dave, I guess you can have a good rest tonight you deserve this after three sleepless nights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines