• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.3 or later

Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the original Experiencing performance related issues in Lightroom 4.x thread is now a whopping 43 pages long, and many of the original 4.0-4.2 performance issues have since been resolved, it's impossible to figure out who is still having problems, and what they can try.  I'm therefore locking that thread to new posts, and putting a link to this one. 

If you're having problems in 4.0 - 4.2, please update to 4.3.  Here are the links: Windows - Mac  You may also be interested in these Performance Hints, many of which were gathered from the long thread.

If you're still having problems with 4.3, please then go ahead and post below.  Don't forget to include details such as your system specs (OS, processor, RAM, graphics card, etc), camera model and whether you shoot raw or JPEG, and what specifically you're finding slow (and ideally some timings on how slow).  It's also useful to include notes of things you've tried to fix it.,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new Lightroom 4.4 BETA release on 25th Feb unsure if its resolved these issues? anyone tried it?

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroom4-4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following link is to the Lightroom Journal website. The latest posting there describes the issues that were fixed. If issues you are experiencing have been identified as rectified, then you can try the release candidate.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4.4 BETA it works. Speed issue fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

achiartistul wrote:

Lightroom 4.4 BETA it works. Speed issue fixed.

Don't get too exited just yet. It was the same with LR 4.3 Beta. It solved all my problems and once I got the final release the problems were back. LR 4.4 Beta is working for me at the moment but I will NOT go to the official version until the Beta expires. Don't want to stumble twice with the same stone.

Besides, in the list of corrections, they didn't mention anything related to all the LR problems mentioned in this and the previous thread.

So: My advice is, hold on to the Beta as long as you can, get as much work finished as you can and when you have no other choice, then install the official version.

@Ted Manasa

You must be new to this threads right? You can go ahead and check the previous thread to this one ( http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971581?start=0&tstart=0 ). That'll give you an idea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2013 Mar 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can report (sadly) that 4.4RC is actually worse for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, early 2011 Macbook Pro with 8GB of RAM on 10.8.2, and LR 4.4 just refuses to release any of it.

I regularly have to run "purge" while I'm working, because LR will leave me with under 100 MB of available RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 4.3   Mac OS 10.8.3   Epson 2200 printer with latest driver

Everything was working beautifully till I updated to Java 7. Now I can't print anything because my computer crashes as soon as I try. There must be a relation, although I can't find out anything. Advise Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2013 Apr 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was very happy with 3.4 ignoring little thinks.  It was aceptable fast and I could do my work well.  Regretfully I updated to 4.3 and it went mad.  I my photo disapears when I double click in Library and move to develop.  In develop I only got a grey frame. When working with two screns I can see the photo in the secondary screen but not in the main. Nevertheless, the photo shows from the filmstrip in the Develp module.  When I see the photo and click to crop it again desapears and I and lef with the grey freme. It is crayzy.  What can be done??????????'''' Please help.......

Windows 7, Toshiba T7200, Canon G12 and Canon 400D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2013 Apr 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like someone mentioned above, for me turning off the "detail" panel causes the biggest change in performance of everything I've tried. And I have tried quite a lot... New catalog, old catalog, Fresh installs, cache, prefference file, windows tweaking.

I am currently on 4.4 and I haven't noticed these issues so badly before, maybe because I recently upgraded to a camera with much bigger files and upped my workfolw to much heavier PP.

Really, this is so enoying... in a big set of pictures with alot of PP I can sometimes wait 10secs for a crop to apply and everthing just feels so laggy.. Even the interface lags out at times where I can wait more than 10secs for a mouse-over effect on a button or a slider- never mind being able to interact with anything. All the while my CPU is doing litterally nothing and the rest of my system works fine.

System is 3 months old Thinkpad W530 I7quad 2.6, 32GB ddr3, quadro K2000M 2GB, 2x256 SATA6 SSD..

This is so ennoying, I really love Lightroom, but this lag is not viable for a professional workflow...

The only thing I can think of right now, is to find a way to Globally dissable the "details panel" to get a more usable responsiveness when needed. Any idea as to how I might go about doing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AutoSync (the little switch next to the Sync botton) will let you toggle the panel switch on all the selected photos.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of LR5 beta's speed - performance will Detail panel settings enabled has been one of the bigger improvements that I've noticed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5b1 seems to have some improvements, but memory management is still wonky, and exporting is really sloooooooow

But hey, that's why we beta test, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yearh, I guess that will have to do for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lr performance on my system has now gotten to a point where is it almost useless for bigger projects that require heavy PP.

Does anyone here know of any performance related utilities/benchmarks aimed at adobe products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 was very slow on my PC after i upgraded from LR3. All the usual issues covered by others in this forum. I decided to upgrade to x64 bit and did a clean install on my pc. I upgraded to 8gb ram. My pc is overall running faster and LR4 is back to what LR3 was on my x32bit set up. I don't think is too much an issue with my earlier set up or the fact that i have more Ram now; i think it was the clean install that has made the difference in my opinion. So perhaps is the years of windows updates, upgrades in software and corruption of registry and other OS files that are mainly at fault. So worth trying formating your harddisk and starting again from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to lightroom 4.3 a month ago and I was stunned on how ridiculously slow it operates. You would think almost a year later from when these hundreds of complaints on the forum first were posted, that Adobe would have these severe problems solved.  I cannot efficiently run my photography business using lightroom 4 as slow as it running.  I have pretty good specs on my computer too, I'm running a Mac Pro tower 5,1   2.8GHz Quad-Core, 16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3, 115 gb SSD.  I didn't have any issues with Lightroom 3, it worked perfect for me, I would like lightroom 4.3 to do the same, otherwise I may have to switch back and be refunded for Lightroom 4.  I'm waisting soooo much time trying figure out how to fix the issue when it should have been fixed by Adobe already!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. In the name of customer service, Abode would do well to offer an update -FREE-to those who have been affected. I have a workhorse computer that literally crashes with any version of LR4. Unacceptable.

Sent from my iPod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While LR4 performance is ridiculous I tried LR5 as a trial yesterday, just as a simple upgrade on top of my LR4 catalogue. The performance is waaaayyyy better. And since the upgarde is only $79, I'm just going to spring for it when the trial is up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kr1shna_s wrote:

I tried LR5 as a trial yesterday, just as a simple upgrade on top of my LR4 catalogue. The performance is waaaayyyy better.

Good to hear.

Of course we've also heard reports that Lr4 was performing OK and Lr5 performance is waaaaaayyy worse - much depends on how well it plays with your machine...

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alphakamk wrote:

Abode would do well to offer an update -FREE-to those who have been affected.

They thought about that, but then realized the logistical nightmare of assuring who has been affected vs. those claiming it just for a free update.

Ultimately a free 30 day trial seemed like a fair compromise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad that Adobe think their approach is "fair." I have crashed my monster computer so many times w LR4 that it is now in the shop. Wonder what that will cost me, aside from the time I am losing and all the time I have lost.0

Not to sound bitter, but I am fed up with tech companies , companies whose products I pay for, asking me to eat issues that I am not responsible for. I completely understand how difficult the process is, owning a problem, but from a PR perspective, I am certain that I am not alone is pronouncing LR4 a debacle for users.

Very disappointed in Adobe. Have lost faith over this one.

Sent from my iPod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe the more ethical approach would have been to update LR4 rather than to release LR5. Keep the additional features for a later release.

God bless the almighty dollar.

Sent from my iPod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. If I couldn't get it to run well, I would just use something else - dissappointing: yes, but path of least resistance or so it seems..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't seem like a good solution to me,   Hey, I just dropped over a $100 dollars on software for my business, it doesnt work, oh well on to the next thing.  Sorry, that just doesnt cut it in my opinion.  They know there is a major problem yet still sell their Lighroom 4 in its unworkable condition.  I just purchased it literally a month ago, its been out how long? there are 1000's of complaints, 100's of pages on forums, the isssues should be fixed by now!  I might understand if it was some generic software company maybe, but we are talking about ADOBE....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you only purchased it a month ago, you should qualify for a free upgrade to LR5, you'll just need to provide proof of purchase: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/upgrade-policy-product-announcement.html

The fact of the matter is, that LR 4 & 5 work for the vast majority of people, and Adobe already took a huge step last year when they slashed the price of the program in half.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ NakedLens, I didn't realize, thank you for the info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines