• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export resize to long edge doesn't work

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I output at 2500px on the long edge - I get an output where vertical shots are sized correctly (height=2500) but horizontal images end up with a long edge width of 3750px—it seems to be setting the height at 2500px even for my horizontal shots where the long edge is on the width. Seems resize to long edge value only finds the long edge for vertical shots, not horizontals. Not sure why....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of long edge, use 'Resize to Fit'  and use 'Width & Height' both set to 2500 pixels. That will work fine.

Lightroom.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this is a bizzare, truly bizarre, fix. I think Adobe means something truly counter-intuitive by this. What I would expect is that if I have non-square image that I force to square dimensions, it would stretch the image to fit that specification. Whatever this thinks it's doing is probably internally consistent but absolutely counter-intuitive.

This is why I dismissed your suggestion earlier: I didn't want a stretched image which that would have (to my mind) specified.

I thank you for the fix, but I could just scream at this point over the hours I've wasted over this. So, thank you JohanElzenga, no thank you Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long edge works for be on both Portrait and Landscape, Tiff and Jpg.  MacOS 10.14.6 and Lr 8.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Diehm  wrote

OK, this is a bizzare, truly bizarre, fix. I think Adobe means something truly counter-intuitive by this. What I would expect is that if I have non-square image that I force to square dimensions, it would stretch the image to fit that specification. Whatever this thinks it's doing is probably internally consistent but absolutely counter-intuitive.

This is why I dismissed your suggestion earlier: I didn't want a stretched image which that would have (to my mind) specified.

I thank you for the fix, but I could just scream at this point over the hours I've wasted over this. So, thank you JohanElzenga, no thank you Adobe.

It’s not that bizarre, as long as you understand that Lightroom will never crop or distort an image all by itself. ”Fit into” means that the image gets resized to whatever comes first; the height or the width. The loupe view in Lightroom works the same way. Photoshop has exactly the same function.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation. I do understand now, but I also believe that my coming into this with my expectations is not that outrageous. It is evident that this has caused confusion for others. My expectation of “stretching” the image came from Photoshop (apparently a different resize function than what you use), and from HTML.

And to address the original issue, I will still submit that if I specify the long edge of an image to be x pixels, returning the image stretched or unstretched with any size other than x is a bug, pure and simple. End of discussion: it didn’t do what I specified.

But I doubt either (long/short edge, or dimensions) will ever be corrected by Adobe, and I expect that users will continue to fall into this trap. We move on, sadder but wiser. ;-} And I do thank you for your assistance in getting this to work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC in previous LR versions the exact opposite happened. The resize to long edge worked correctly for landscape shots and didn't for portrait shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I export an image to Long Edge of 300. Exported image is 400x300. Short Edge export: same thing. Clearly this feature has a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Diehm  wrote

I export an image to Long Edge of 300. Exported image is 400x300. Short Edge export: same thing. Clearly this feature has a bug.

Did you read/try my recommendation of using width & height?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please share with us a screenshot of your export panel, the entire panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello David, once you've offered... 😃
I'm getting the same bug and tested many solutions already (upgrading do the New Lightroom Classic 9.3; reseting LrC preferences upon relaunch... nothing worked). So here's my info: iMac Retina 5K, late 2015; macOS Catalina 10.15.6; Memory 16GB. (Please refer to attached print screens and let me know if something else is needed; it happens no matter what tipe of file I'm trying to export: CR2, DNG, TIFF and so on). Thank you in advance for your help.  🙏Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 11.50.58 copy.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-16 at 12.27.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a general tip, if you wish to batch export files, landscape and portrait, using the option of resizing to the long side then make sure all are cropped to the exact ratio, ie. 2/3, 3/2. The exported files will be displayed appropriately. See the screen capture one file was resized up and the other and the other resized down.

Screenshot 2020-08-16 at 3.24.38 PM.png

Screenshot 2020-08-16 at 3.56.39 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Denis,

I've finally found an answer to that "long edge bug". I got rid of all the personal presets I had previously created and started to create new ones, using those same parameters, from scratch. My nephew suggested that I should try it, and IT WORKED.
About keeping the exact ratio for batch exports, that will be a trick, because I have a diversity of crops in my catalog. I'm new to this version of LrC, and I haven't tried the batch export yet, but if something goes wrong when trying the batch export, your tip may certainly come in handy too, so thanks for the advice... let's see! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines