Exporting JPG to replace orginal creates ghost thumbnail

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 7.0.1 [ 1142117 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Operating system: Windows 10 x64

I exported 1600 wide JPGs and published to Flickr via LR Classic. I then made changes to a Raw, and re-exported, selecting Overwrite. This then created another thumbnail with the same same. Checking in Windows, there is only one file, so it creates a ghost thumbnail within LR Classic. If you try to delete one, it deletes both, so losing the publish link to Flickr. I tried optimising the catalogue. It used to work fine, flagging up the revised JPG for re-publishing in Flickr.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 12, 2017 Nov 12, 2017

Is this the issue you are having or something similar.  In certain scenarios it creates ghost thumbnails.

Lightroom Classic Stacking Issue, cannot stack more than two photos

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking in Windows, there is only one file

Which makes sense because you said you wanted to overwrite.

so it creates a ghost thumbnail within LR Classic.

Because there is only one file, not two.

If you try to delete one, it deletes both, so losing the publish link to Flickr.

Yes, because they both point to the same exported file.

You don't need to re-import the exported photo into LR Classic CC (or any other version of LR). This is the cause of your problems here. If you want two different edited versions of your photo in LR Classic CC (or any other version of LR), use virtual copies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not re-importing any photos, just re-editing the Raw, and exporting to JPG again, asking it to overwrite. It used to do this, now it is just creating another thumbnail with the same name, so I have two. Previously, it replaced the original with the edited version as requested. I have been using virtual copies too, but just tried with a fresh Raw, exported to JPG, quit, re-exported asking to overwrite. It didn't, but created a second thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the issue you are having or something similar.  In certain scenarios it creates ghost thumbnails.

Lightroom Classic Stacking Issue, cannot stack more than two photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not that thanks.I have the stacks opened up. The behaviour has changed with this version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies Bob, reading that more closely, yes, I was getting unstacked JPGs at the end of the window too, as well as the problem of thumbnails being duplicated rather than replaced. It sounds like it's the same bug, and they are aware of it, so I will try to avoid re-exporting until it is fixed thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to click Me Too and add details of your issue to that bug report. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks John, added a Me Too there with details.

Just noticed a typo in my original post here:

"I exported 1600 wide JPGs and published to Flickr via LR Classic. I then made changes to a Raw, and re-exported, selecting Overwrite. This then created another thumbnail with the same name. Checking in Windows, there is only one file, so it creates a ghost thumbnail within LR Classic. If you try to delete one, it deletes both, so losing the publish link to Flickr. I tried optimising the catalogue. It used to work fine, flagging up the revised JPG for re-publishing in Flickr."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also add that if I am just re-editing a Raw, and then want to re-export a JPG just for viewing, I usually delete the first export first. Earlier versions replaced the first version OK, but were sometimes slow to update the metadata, so deleting was more straightforward. When I've already published a JPG to Flickr, and want to update it with an edited version, it is obviously vital to keep the publish link to keep the Flickr interactions intact. I can't do that at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines