Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

external edit creates a tiff in lightroom on start

Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if i right click on an image and choose "edit in aurora..." or other program, lightroom creates instantly a tiff. i dont now if it is because of a new lightroom version or something else but last time i use this workflow, lightroom creates a tiff only if i save the image in aurora or other prog

Also new is this window ... never got this before

window.jpg

can i disable this feature?

thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not familiar with Aurora, but I do know that when using the Nik Collection of plug-ins on raw files it's necessary for Lightroom to create the TIF file first and then send that file to whatever plug-in I'm using. That's because none of the Nik plug-ins are raw converters, and therefore the image must first be converted before I can use the plug-in. I suspect this might be the case with Aurora.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

now as you said ... i have installed the nik collection but deinstalled them after trial. i never had this problem/window before so it comes with nik ....

question is now, how to remove this rest of nik collection part

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think your question about Aurora has anything to do with the Nik Collection. I'm just telling you why  the TIF image has to be created first. Aurora isn't a raw processor, is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thy jim but again - before i installed nik, there was no window and no tiff until i saved it in aurora. It is the same in luminar too btw

so i think nik was the problem 😞

i can use this way. no tiff will be created until i want it. but i lost all of my lightroom changes on the image so i don't wanne use this way.

menu.jpg

can anyone help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I could be wrong. So I will leave you to someone else to solve your issue. Sorry I couldn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other third-party applications are unable to apply edits applied to a raw file, so what you see is the only choice you have when using the "edit in feature" from Lightroom Classic.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
ok i understand, that other apps cannot edit raw files. It is ok for me but my problem is:

Before
image -> edit in aurora/luminar -> cancel :::: no tiff in lightroom / save :::: tiff in lightroom
Now
image -> edit in aurora/luminar -> cancel :::: always a tiff in lightroom and i dont want that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I have to interject one more time. It seems to me that you have a choice. Either accept that this is the way Lightroom works with these external editors, or don't use them because that's the way it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why should i accept that? 2 weeks ago it was ok and lightroom works fine with external editors.
Just since installing / deleting nik collection i have this problem. so i will not accept that, the only thing i want is how to solve it ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can think of is that, previously, you were not using raw files. Lightroom cannot send a raw file to an external editor because an external editor cannot accept a raw file. That's the only explanation I can give you. The raw file has to be converted to whatever format you have chosen in the Lightroom preferences, TIF or PSD, and that is the file that has to be sent to the external editor. That's the way it has always worked for me. I don't mean to seem like a bully. That is just the way the system works. If you're working with a non-raw file then it will work the way you are expecting. But your external editors cannot handle raw images. That's all there is to it. If you don't want to hear that then wait for someone else to explain how to do it your way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Jim, i believe you - it is all correct, you wrote.
i know there are tiffs, it needs tiff format - it is all like before my problem but i dont want these tiff files in my catalog if i dont save them in external apps. because i have now a tiff file for every image i JUST OPEN external in my catalog even if i cancel my edit in aurora or luminar. THAT does not happen before installing nik ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't tell you why the file wasn't created before. I don't think Nik had anything to do with it. I have always had the same issue of the TIF file. Simple solution, delete the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have No idea why you are seeing the TIF file in LrC when you Cancel the Edit in function. Probably LrC creates that TIF as soon as you call up the Edit in function so it can transfer it to the external editing program faster. Then when you cancel the transfer that TIF is already in the LrC catalog. Simply select it and delete it.

That dialog box you are getting is completely normal. The only time you don't get it is when sending to Ps and Ps is using the same vrsion of ACR as LrC is using.

LrC needs to know whether you want to send the Original, a LrC Edited version or a copy of one type or another.

I get that same dialog when sending an image to one of the NIX collections programs.

Although I do not get a Tiff unless I follow through with the sending to the external editor.

As Soon as I send it, before NIX Silver Efex opens the TIF is created and placed in the LrC catalog and then the Silver Efex program opens with the TIF loaded.

Are you actually sending the file to the external editor and then Canceling it? If you are that is why the TIF gets created. If you Cancel from the screen below the TIF never gets created.

2020-07-11 12_39_00-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When you initially set up a new application to allow Lightroom Classic to send files via "edit in function" that has to be done in Lightroom > preferences > External editing. See the screen capture for the file type that can be selected. Tiff, PSD and Jpeg.

As far as I can recall this has always been this way.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 12.28.56 PM.png

Is it possible you are mixing it up with this function, which is accessible in the Library module? See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 12.59.59 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines