• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failure of import

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had superb support from experts who have solved all of my problems, but have now encountered another one. I had a 4.5 gigabyte file of raw photos which started to import properly and then stopped. I didn't know what to do but thought that it was going to demand a massive reorganisation of the file structure so have left lightroom running overnight, but I can find no evidence of the file today. I should mention that I have the file running on a 5 terabyte external drive with nothing else on it. There are still 4.5 terabytes of free space available and the drive is running normally. Is it acceptable to try re importing the file? I wonder whether it has been placed in the wrong location but don't know how to search for it.

This is the largest file I have attempted to import at one time. Previous imports all ran smoothly.

Thanks

Sockit

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have discovered that there is something that is causing my imported
files to be renamed by the date of importation.  Thus even though I am
saying that I want to copy a folder   XXXX into lightroom , that is
ignored and lightroom switches the name  to 2020 12 xx  and then puts
the file into a subfile Thus it is duplicating the folder on my hard
drive as the original folder xxxx also remains.  It is not something I
chose lightroom to do.. at least not wittingly and I don't know how to
turn it off.  Can you help me with this?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I highly recommend you watch some videos on how the import panel works (some links at the end). This is quite confusing to many people and definitely something that stumpos many people. What you describe is exactly what you expect when using Copy and using the typical default settings. The typical way this works is that you import files into the Lightroom Classic folder structure and have Lightroom automatically create a folder structure that segragates images by date. This is very handy but not what everybody wants. Speaking generally, there are 4 main options to consider when importing. 

1. Copy as DNG. This will make copies of your files and place them into a new destination and import the copied files into the Lightroom catalog. It will also convert the copies into dng, an open format for storing raw data from digital cameras. This is not relevant if you deal with scans.

2. Copy. This will make copies of your files and place them into a new destination. It will also import the new copies into the Lightroom catalog.

3. Move. This will move (i.e. NOT MAKE ANY COPIES!) into the specified destination. The orginals at the original location will be deleted. The moved files will be imported into the catalog.

4. Add. This will import the files into the catalog and keep them in the location they already are. This is likely what you want if I understand your workflow.

Than you NEED TO pay close attention to the destination settings. Here is an annotated screenshot to help. EVERY TIME you import images, make sure you understand where your files will end up and what is actually happening!

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 6.15.55 PM.png

Here are some videos to watch:

Importing from a camera or memory card: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYKzz2a5Mts&feature=youtu.be

Importing from a hard disk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--nEKNEH_1I&feature=youtu.be

Organizing your images inside Lightroom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhf0Zmy69o&feature=youtu.be

These are all free.

Here is an adobe provided textual step-by-step on importing:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/how-to/import-photos.html?playlist=/services/playlist.help... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao   Thanks for your very detailed description.    I had thought that I
was doing everything correctly.  I realise now that I have to go over it
in much more detail.  I had just plunged in and everything seemed to be 
working. I am using Raw files so maybe DNG is the way to go though  I
have to look at Negative Lab Pro to see what that plug in prefers. I am
getting really beautiful images at the present time. I apologise that I
have caused everybody so much uproar, I thought something had happened
to the programme. I  would like to express my gratitude both to you and
everyone else for your assistance.  I hope you and your colleagues have
a good holiday season in spite of the epidemic and the lock down.

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao  I thought I ashould write in follow up. I have now completed two imports  of several hundred photos using your recommended Add option. That seems to work perfectly with what I had been previously doing. 

Thanks for your clear advice

I now have one additional question related to my past operation. I have found in my 2020 folder several dated import fplders  which I think are just duplicates of what resulted from my previoius attemted imports into the 1994 and 1995 folders. I want to delete them but what is the best way to go about without destroying what I have been working on  in my 1994 and 1995 files they all seem to be working properly but I don't know whether they are somehow dependent on the data in the 2020 folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to know what is the best action based on what you write. I would really need to see what it looks like. If these are folders that are visible inside Lightroom Classic, you can move them around (or delete if that's what you want) inside Classic to where they should be as long as you only move them inside Classic. They will be moved outside Classic for you. If the folders are only visible outside of Classic in Finder/Explorer, you can move them there, but you should only do that if they really are not visible inside Classic. If you move files and folders outside of Classic, Classic loses the link to them and becomes confused. You can restore the link afterwards but if one is not super computer savvy, it is generally a better idea to move files/folders inside Classic to avoid that step and avoid the dreaded missing file problems inside Lightroom.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao Thanks for your help. I will explore around a bit to be on the safe
side.

I hope you have a great new year even if celebrations will be
curtailed.   I was talking to someone in Latvia which is part of the EU.
There everyone is locked down until the 4th of January and there is a
2000  Euro fine for any violation. They are not playing around

Thanks

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preoblem you are having with this forum system for posts being reject is because for whatever reason you are trying to make multiple post/replies in a very short period of time. This system Restricts that to limit the number of Spam posts.

So try to wait at least 5-10 minutes between your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks just shoot me.  I did as you suggested but no amount of time allowed me to reply directly to the email I received after my first response.  I find I have to go to the forum and find the conversation. Thanks anyhow for your very thoughtful help

Sockit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have To Sign In to the Forum from a Web Browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines