• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Increase Supported File Dimensions

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2014 Oct 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would appreciate if LR would support images with 65k x 65k pixels (i.e. drop the overall 512M-pixel limit). I have several stiched images, that I can not handle with Lightroom, and I do not want to use two different Applications to manage my images.

P.S. and please make the limit 2^16 x 2^16 and not 65000x 56000.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
50 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2015 Apr 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought LR6 retail hoping Lightroom would have learned to deal with larger panoramas than only 512 megapixels but now I'm concerned that this has not been a use-case so far because importing my 750 megapixels TIFF processed from 70 photos and exported from a PSB file is not possible.

With the Canon 5ds(r) coming in June, even a small panorama of 10 photos (roughly 10 * 50 megapixels) wouldn't be possible to be imported in the current Lightroom version.

Could you please support at least 1 Gigapixel in an upcoming version of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client whose studio I set up with Lightroom 3 who regularly deals with very high-resolution drum scans of 8X10" film. She has tens of thousands of scans and other files that need to be organized, and I was hoping that I could use LR3 to do it. However, when I attempt to import the scans into LR3, I repeatedly get a message that tells me that some of the files are "too big." The error dialog allows me to locate the problem files, and they are always TIFF scans form 8X10" film done with and Aztek.

I called Adobe tech support about this, and was told that there is a 65K X 65K pixel dimension limit in LR3 and PS CS5. All of the files in question are below that limit. When I mentioned this to the tech support rep, he became confused. After muttering about 2GB file size limit for a while, he told me that I should use "professional software" such as Bridge. I asked him directly if there is a 2 GB file size limit, and he said there is not.

Since that time I have done a great deal of research online and in various textbooks, and there seems to be some disagreement about the maximum file size limit in terms of actual, practical applications. I would be very interested to hear from those in this forum on this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature request: This note is to encourage Adobe to expand the size limitations of panoramas in Lightroom CC. I understand that this limit is a maximum long dimension of 65,000 pixels or a maximum pixel count of 512 megapixels. Such a limit makes it impossible to obtain wide angle panoramas with long focal length lenses to obtain extremely high resolution. For example, a 100 mm lens on a 24mm x 36mm sensor turned to vertical orientation (24mm wide) requires approximately (ideally) 26 frames to make a 360 degree panorama. If a 50 megapixel camera is used (e.g. Canon 5DS), this image will be approximately 150,000 pixels wide or almost three times the present limit. It will also have approximately 1300 megapixels, again roughly three times the present limit. This means that a Canon 5DS cannot be used to make even a 180 degree panorama using a 100mm lens in the vertical orientation. Another use for panorama is very high resolution art reproduction using panorama to merge a mosaic of separate images of one artwork. The size limit constrains what can be done to a significant degree. Panorama creation in Lightroom CC is fantastic because it is easy and results in a RAW image. But the present size limit is a real constraint! My recommendation would be to quadruple the linear dimension and make the pixel limit ~10 times as great. One additional point: When too many pictures to merge are selected, Lightroom should return a statement "Panorama is too large - limit is a maximum long dimension of 65,000 pixels or a maximum pixel count of 512 megapixels" instead of some thing like "Panorama failed - try a different projection". This would save many people a lot of time. It took me several hours of experimentation and finally a Google query to figure out what the problem/limitation was. Thank you for your attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran smack into a problem importing a panorama file that is 46902x13200 pixels and 300DPI 39.3 MB in size and dimensions are 44" x 156.34" that I had just edited in Photoshop CC..  There should not be a limitation for files this size for the product. Especially if it can be opened in Photoshop. Using the latest builds/versions as of 7/1/2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please get a boost to the file size limits for the Panorama tool in Lightroom CC? As far as I can tell it's been stuck at 65,000 pixels or a maximum pixel count of 512 megapixels since this function came out. 

Most modern computers can handle bigger files and it's messing with my workflow to have to leave the Adobe ecosystem to come back in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here here!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a nice feature if I could catalogue and manipulate also Giga Pixel photos. I have all my different single photos for a Giga Pixel pano in LR, exporting all of them and creating the pano in PTGui. Unfortunately I can't import the pano back to LR because it's exceding the max supported amount of pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. As a partial workaround, the Any File plugin will let you catalog (but not edit) very large photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One comment: there are pixel dimension limits when creating a JPG as pano output, e.g. in PTGui, which may not apply to TIFF.

A TIFF that's e.g. 8-bit and compressed, is not necessarily completely unmanageable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR imposes the same limits on all formats: 65,000 pixels on a side and 512 megapixels total:

https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/lightroom/help/supported-file-formats.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point was that PTGui seems to hit its limit much sooner than that, and other programs may do so as well, when it comes to JPG specifically - creating the output in the first place, not getting it into LR.

I suppose the authoring app probably gulps a lot of resources computing the JPG compression and encoding a high MP image, which the far simpler TIFF creation would not consume.. even if the MP may be the same, and despite the larger saved file size of the TIFF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to merge panorama's using Camera Raw from Lightroom or Photoshop and output a DNG file is FANTASTIC!! It's something I've used and appreciated since it was launched, and particularly the continued controls for white balance that this allows after the panorama merge.

Now, with the proliferation of high resolution cameras, the recent performance improvements across the stack make the workflow SO MUCH easier to live with, but with those cameras it's also now pretty easy to go over the 65,000 pixel / 512 megapixel limits in Camera Raw, which impact Lightroom and Photoshop in the same way if you want to output a DNG. The automation will let you go over this in Photoshop, but only with PSBs or TIFFs as the output.

Is it time to try and increase these limits Adobe? I for one would be hugely appreciative and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Yours, 

Far Sawrey Landscape Photography

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Replying to Robert Somrak who merged my thread... seems this request has been around for a while.

Nowadays, with a 60megapixel camera you can hit that limit in 18 images, and that’s just 2 rows of 9. Understand it’s not a majority issue but won’t be as rare as near zero and might be an easy tweak that will make the lives of some heavy users much easier.

I suspect many are just using PTGui and tolerating that it doesn’t output DNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The feature I would like to request is the lifting of the file size limit of 512 megapixels in Lightroom.

I've been enjoying the panorama merge feature in Lightroom ever since it got introduced since it provided an easy way to create very high resolution images by stiching together a small number of individual shots. Unlike some of the dedicated panorama applications (including photoshop itself) the stiching in Lightroom produces a raw file which is imminently more flexible than the usual tiff or psd file, if it weren't for the file size limit. With a camera like the GFX 100 providing up to 400 Megapixel with pixel shift alone, already a simple two image panorama merge will exceed that file size limit. Maybe there was a reason for that limit at some point, just like there might have been one for the 4GB limit on FAT32, but with camera manufacturers pushing the resolution figures it would be nice to pair those cameras with some of the proven panorama merge features available in Lightroom. Most of my images at the moment average around 1200 Megapixels, but if I invest into the GFX100 that will almost double.

And yes whenever I do go through the effort of making images that large, than to print panoramas that are up to 6 meters in width and intended to be viewed at close distances, so please don't ask me "why would you want to do that?"

It just seems like this would be the right time to lift that limit.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 4gb FAT32 comparison doesn't apply.  Almost everybody using computers, cell phones etc hit the 4gb limit but I am sure only a VERY small percentage of people hit the 512MP limit and its probably not worth the engineering time to implement.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...are you working for adobe, or are you just speculating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to tell Adobe this, not us in this forum, we are just other Lightroom Classic users who can't modify the code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add your constructive opinion to this feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-increase-supported-file-dim... 

and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will consider implementing the feature and you'll be notified when they do.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm frustrated that I am not able to import larger PS files (.PSB) into Lightroom Classic.  I would like to work on the files in Lightroom, but there is limit on file size (512megapixel or 65K width).  I hope Adobe will consider changing this in future version so people doing larger files in Photoshop (I do multi-row panos) can import these and work with them in Lightroom.  My file was about 7.8GB I was working with and can't import this into Lightroom. I hope you will consider this in future upgrades.  thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are in violent agreement! This has been a request for many years. Indeed, Adobe should be able to handle their own proprietary format in Lightroom. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of about a year ago, LR can handle PSB files but has the other limits you mention. Which is stopping you, the PSB format or the 512 megapixel/65k width limitation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not fully supporting PSB; there's still a size limitation unfortunately. 

The Large Document Format (PSB) file in Lightroom Classic supports documents up to 65,000 pixels in long edge and a maximum dimension of 512 megapixels.

Yet in Photoshop: The Large Document Format (PSB) supports documents up to 300,000 pixels in any dimension.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea. The forum does not automatically apply a "vote" to your post so don't forget to click the green arrow in the upper left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still wishing for expansion of max file dimensions! Just tried to import a panaroma while restoring a library (SSD died!) and it won't restore because of the limitation!

Votes

Translate

Translate