• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Finding photos on Ext. hard drive

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 - LR is not able to find photos on my external hard drive. When I click the ! it will acutally state the last location - which is where the photo STILL is located. Even if I finally get it to recognize the photo - it will not recognize surrounding "missing" photos - even though that box has been clicked. Such a drag. I have restarted, I have made sure all boxes checked in System Preferences / Privacy / File folder. help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us screen captures of your Lightroom Classic grid, and also the same folder as seen in your operating system? Include the screen captures in your reply by clicking on the "Insert Photos" icon, and not via attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, but where do I find same folder as seen on os? here is a screen shot of my LR grid - again, is this what you want? thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please click on the "Insert Photos" icon to include screen captures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.28.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us the same view except with the Folders Panel expanded so we can see what folder these photos are in.

Show us a screen capture of the same folder as seen in your operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hav e

I have scrolled down to the PHOTOS folder which is my external hard drive

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 11.41.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't show the folder that has been selected (no folder is highlighted). Please select a folder by clicking on it, and then show us the screen capture so we can see the folder highligthed.

You may want to fix that ? icon on the folders — http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder I have open - on the ext. hard drive actuallt has 78 images in it - this is where LR doesn't recognize - the five below I have located recently.

I am confused as to the ? will read over your link - thanks

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 12.26.46 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folder I have open - on the ext. hard drive actuallt has 78 images in it - this is where LR doesn't recognize

Lightroom Classic does not "recognize" photos. It only knows about photos in its database, and the way to have photos known to the Lightroom Classic database is to import them. If the photos haven't been imported, then Lightroom will show only the 5 that have been imported, rather than the 78 images in the folder.

I suspect, although you haven't actually said this, that the remaining 73 photos are in Lightroom Classic, and were (possibly) imported incorrectly, so that Lightroom Classic thinks the photos are in a different folder than you think the photos are in. To confirm this, please follow all four of these steps in sequence to try to find one of the other 73 photos in Lightroom Classic:

1. In the Lightroom Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Filter Bar

Do you find

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - the photo shows up with !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am reading over the link you sent - what baffles me and this hasn't happened before - when I use the location box, put in the copied file number - LR will not find it, even though it is sitting right where it always was - I have to manually locate it  right where the "previous location" in the location dialogue box refers to the current location. For some reason - LR does not find/recognise the image file it originally did - wondering if somehow the original files have been affected so LR can't find them??? Hope htis makes sense

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems photos have been "found" I read the article and went through all my "?" folders, and found or merged them. I still don't understand what happened, but for now resolved. Thanks for the article and your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines