• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Green/violet colors appear when changing from 4k screen to 1920x1980 monitor

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am using HP spectre laptop (4k screen) and HP 27fw (FHD screen) as my 2nd monitor. When Im using LrC 10.1 in my laptop, the photo looks normal. But whenever i use my 2nd screen, green/blue/violets are showing in the screen especially on dark areas. see photos below for boht screens. Anybody has this problem and knows how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

screen - discolor.jpgscreen - normal color.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's either a buggy video driver, or a defective monitor profile. Are you using a calibrator to make your profiles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, i used a calibrator before. and the 2nd monitor is a low-end one. Although, the original photos are loading fine outside LrC. It's only inside LrC when this happens. I will try to remove the icc profile and see what will happen. then i will update this thread. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It's only inside LrC when this happens."

Outside Lightroom you don't see the raw data, but the embedded jpeg.

Bad monitor profiles can affect Develop and Library differently, and it can affect different applications differently. Although it all ends up in the same monitor color space, the source data are very different, and so the actual conversions are different pieces of math. One may work, and others fail.

If you're not using a calibrator now, you're probably getting manufacturer profiles through Windows Update. These profiles are very often broken/bad in different ways.

Although, mind you, a buggy video driver is just as likely. To test, go into Preferences and disable GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the good explanation. Here are my observations based on your replies:

• changing back to the original color profile solved the issue (but defeats the purpose of calibrating teh screen for photo editing)
  • disabling the GPU did not have an effect (and now i cannot find the NVIDIA GPU in the preference)
  • This is not an issue in Photoshop (as you mentioned, this may be different for each app, but it's just weird to have this only in LrC)

Nevertheless, thank you for your responses! Really helpful. I have no more questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"changing back to the original color profile solved the issue (but defeats the purpose of calibrating teh screen for photo editing)"

No, it actually confirms the need to use a calibrator. You just got confirmation that your current monitor profile is bad, and the solution to that problem is a calibrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to fully understand this. The reason why the problem was showing is because I calibrated my screen in the first place. Reverting back to the original color profile solves the problem (but i don't like the color of the screen). If I  re-apply the calibrated profile, the problem will show again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then your calibrator, whichever one you've been using, is defective, and makes bad profiles.

Run it again. If it still makes bad profiles, throw it out and replace it.

To cover all possibilities: Some calibration software defaults to making icc version 4 and/or table-based profiles, both of which can be problematic in some applications under some circumstances. So check that your calibrator is set up to make version 2 and matrix-based profiles. This is always the safe choice. If you don't find these options unde "profile policies" or something similar anywhere, it will be v2 matrix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally do not have an idea what you are talking about 🙂 But just to give you more info, I am using SpyderX Pro + DisplayCal. And below are some info on the icc profile that I used for the monitor. I can see both terms "table" and "matrix" and I don't really know how to interpret this. I thought that because the monitor Im using is at low end (HP 27fw), it cannot handle well the calibration. But that's just my uneducated thought. Anyway, I believe that you have done more than enough and I learned new things from you. 🙂 Thanks!

icc profile.pngHere is what it looks like when Im using both my laptopv (bottom) and my 2nd monitor (top), where you can see the green/violet tint in dark areas:

green tint.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update. I have discovered a temporary solution to this. It's kind of annoying but it works.

• before opening lightroom, i make sure that the 2nd monitor is using the default icc profile in the display settings (as mentioned before, the problem disappears whenever i use the default profile)
  • once i LrC is opened, i will now change the color profile to the calibrated profile. the calibrated profile takes effect and the green/voilet artifacts do not come back
  • make sure to change to default profile before opening LrC. If i do this when the LrC is already opened, I need to restart LrC before the artifcats to go away. 

agustinkenmark_0-1608068211402.png

Anyway, not sure if there will be a better fix for this in the future, but this works for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom loads the monitor profile at application startup, and it keeps using that profile for the duration of that session, regardless of whether you change it in the OS. You need to relaunch Lr before the profile change takes effect. This is how all color managed applications work.

In other words, your workaround accomplishes nothing.

You still have a defective calibrator that makes bad profiles. Have you tried to run it again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Please_Post_Your_Sys_Info_as_LrC_reports_it.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reminding me. Here is the system information:

Lightroom Classic version: 10.1 [ 202012012023-e92d50bb ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Home Premium Edition
Version: 10.0.19042
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 2.3 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 16087.3 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16087.3 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 2315.3 MB (14.3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 4149.7 MB
GDI objects count: 646
USER objects count: 2085
Process handles count: 2020
Memory cache size: 100.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.1 [ 658 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 740MB / 8043MB (9%)
Camera Raw real memory: 843MB / 16087MB (5%)
System DPI setting: 240 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160, 2) 1920x1080
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: Yes

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce MX330 (27.21.14.5167)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines