• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP! Moved Photos to External from within Lightroom, and they disappeared!

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I created a few new folders from within lightroom on my external thunderbolt drive, and moved all of my photos (both raw and edited) over and they are now GONE! I cannot locate them on the external, cannot locate them in lightroom, and cannot locate them in the trash! Does anybody have any ideas!? Your help is much appreciated!!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Restore the photos from your backups.

This is a rare but recurring and extremely serious bug that Adobe says that they cannot duplicate.

Transferring photos to an external hard drive, photos lost

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restore the photos from your backups.

This is a rare but recurring and extremely serious bug that Adobe says that they cannot duplicate.

Transferring photos to an external hard drive, photos lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this, but it appears my latest backup (that had the files) is greyed out and cannot be opened. Forgive the dumb questions -- I am new to the light room workflow.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your photos should be backed up somewhere, exactly how did you make these backups and where are they?

Also, feel free to complain to Adobe about this (I mean file a bug report) at https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/moving-files-resulted-in-lr-deleting-the-file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select "open catalog" and the folder backups (most library has been automatically backed up once a week since I started using lightroom) the backup from 1-02-17 (what should contain my ENTIRE library) is greyed out and cannot be click on to open. See photo

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 9.55.33 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, your Lightroom catalog backups do not contain your photos. Those have to be backed up separately, do you know where those are?

As far as the catalog is concerned, you have to unzip the file, have you done that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did unzip - it then took me back to lightroom and all of my photos have the "?" or the "!" because it cannot locate them. Does lightroom automatically backup all the photos somewhere too? I don't understand how it can just delete over 600 photos never to be seen again by simply moving them into a new folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom catalog backup does not make backups of your photos. You have to do that somehow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines