• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I copy a particular keyword tag from a photo?

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see a photo's keyword tags in the Keywording panel. I want to copy certain keywords to use for notes in a different application, but this text is not selectable.

Is there any easy way to see the keywords a photo has and select individual ones to copy and paste elsehwere?

Here's the reasoning. I have bird pictures, for example, and they have keywords with species name and other things. I want to make a social media post for the photo. I write up a note in a separate application for the text of the post. It would be very useful to just copy things like scientific names and paste them into the note rather than having to look at LRC and then type out "Bradornis mariquensis mariquensis," for example, and thousands of other keywords already set in my LRC catalog.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2024 Jan 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the dropdown menu in the Keywording panel to "Enter Keywords"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's helpful, but it doesn't show all of the keywords—just one.

My keywords are in a hierarchy, so I only need to click one keyword to add other keywords in the multiple stages of the hierarchy. The Will Export list shows not just the one keyword I click on to add (common name), but also the other exported keywords, like scientific name, genus, family, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That's helpful, but it doesn't show all of the keywords—just one.

My keywords are in a hierarchy, so I only need to click one keyword to add other keywords in the multiple stages of the hierarchy. The Will Export list shows not just the one keyword I click on to add (common name), but also the other exported keywords, like scientific name, genus, family, etc.

By @Biscut

What you say is true. Are you asking a question? It is not obvious to me what your question is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. My question is how can I select (in order to copy and paste) all of the items listed in Will Export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Biscut wrote:

I can see a photo's keyword tags in the Keywording panel. I want to copy certain keywords to use for notes in a different application, but this text is not selectable.

Is there any easy way to see the keywords a photo has and select individual ones to copy and paste elsehwere?

From your other reply it sounds like you already know how to expand the Keyword Tags sub-panel of the Keywording panel, but the multiple keywords it lists have always been selectable. I edit/copy/paste keywords to, from, and within that field all the time. On your computer is it not possible to select any keywords you want in the same way that’s shown in the picture below, or are you looking at a different keyword display?

Lightroom-Classic-Keywording-Keyword-Tags-panel.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I can select them from the Enter Keywords panel. But those are not the same as the ones in the Will Export panel. Those include synonyms and keywords higher up in the hierarchy. Those are the ones I want to select and copy.

Here are some screenshots, both for the same photo (Enter Keywords/Will Export).

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 14.31.54.jpgScreenshot 2024-01-11 at 14.31.41.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need this only for one image at a time, I can see why it would be annoying not to be able to copy from the Will Export view by right clicking and choosing Copy. Unfortunately I don't think you can do it without a plugin or script.

If you're needing to transfer keyword or any data in bulk to the other application, look at the LrTransporter plugin which is designed for this task. If it's just a one-by-one need, my Search & Replace plugin can transfer the Keywords (Will Export) to another field, from where the text could be manually copied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'd like to try your plugin. My purposes would just be a one-by-one need. Where might I be able to find it?

For others reading, it is possible to read the keywords off of a photo after it has been published by LR (if you export them)—though sometimes I want to publish without keywords and use those keywords elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That should read "it is possible to copy the keywords off a photo after it has been published." This can be done in a Mac's Finder, for example, right-clicking, then selecting "Get Info." Keywords are in the More Info section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines