• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create multiple catalogs?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am coming from Capture One and want to keep the same working flow which works for me. Sessions. Each shoot is it's own individual thing. How do I make catalogs work as a session. 

I thought I was doingit right but all my shoots are now in one catalog and confused how to spearate them. I know a lot of people perfer all shoots in one catalog but that isn't for me.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File menu item, Select New Catalog.

But IMHO that is a very bad idea.

It is not the way LrC was designed to be used.

You can separate Shoots with Keywords or use a Folder structure, Job Name + Date or whatever you like to name the folders that Shoots images are stored in and use ONE Catalog that contain ALL your images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Just Shoot Mesays

"But IMHO that is a very bad idea."

And I say:

But IMHO that is a very very bad idea.

He's absolutely right, you can distinguish the different shoots via metadata or folders. There are a large number of advantages to one catalog compared to multiple catalogs, and a lot of disadvantages to multiple catalogs compared to a single catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys thank you for the responses. I don't like having one catalog for all images. I understand the collections and breakdowns but I feel much more comfortable for my needs such as draging the folder (shoot) I am working on on to my local drive and then placing it back. I appreciate the feedback guys. I got it going. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here you'll find a good article about the pro and cons about having multiple catalogs.

Should you have one catalog or multiple catalogs? | The Lightroom Queen

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines