• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to back up on cloud storage with Lightroom Classic CC?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased this Adobe CC Photography package because I wanted the cloud storage of Lightroom CC, but it seemed I would also get the full capabilities of Lightroom Classic. Now that I've paid and registered, I see the Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC versions are separate applications to download. I can't figure out which one I need if I want to use all the features I see in Classic and yet also take advantage of the cloud space I paid for. Please advise.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

The trick is to use both. What you do is do all your work in Classic but use CC only to import images. They will get uploaded to the cloud and will download into Lightroom Classic. Then you can use all the features of Classic but have your images also stored in the cloud. Also note that you can setup Classic to automatically store all the CC ecosystem images into a year->date folder structure which is what I would recommend (it's in preferences).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kellykreed,

Lightroom CC is the new cloud-based photo service that works across desktop, mobile, and web. Lightroom Classic CC is the desktop-focused digital photography product. Go from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom CC |

Please have a look at this article to know more about backing up the catalog: How to back up catalogs in Lightroom Classic CC

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain what it is you are expecting to do with Classic as far as taking advantage of what you are paying for in regards to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess I think I want to use Classic for its UI and capabilities, but I also want to back up my files (including RAW) in the cloud.

It sounds like Classic has more power (for example, more import settings) than CC, but I'm not entirely sure and I'm frustrated that it's so hard to figure this out. If someone can convince me CC has all the same power as Classic but with cloud backup, I'd be all for it.

I'm new to Lightroom, so I'm not heavily invested in either one yet. I'm trying to figure out which will best meet my needs (so I don't need to do any migrating and so on.) I've browsed both versions and so far am not liking the new CC because I have fewer options. (And I've already had a problem with CC importing my RAW files as JPG, but that's a separate post.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Lightroom Classic CC, it is impossible for you to put your original raw files in the cloud. It cannot be done. The only thing Lightroom Classic CC can do is synchronize smart previews with the cloud. The ONLY way you can upload full-sized raw files to the cloud is to do so using Lightroom CC (the cloud-based version). That version of Lightroom can be configured so that when those raw images or other images are uploaded they can also be stored in Lightroom Classic CC, in a folder, on the local hard drive, at the same time, automatically. But using Lightroom Classic CC alone, you cannot send full-sized raw images, or JPEG images, or any type of image to the cloud. You can only send smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU, JimHess​, Jao vdL​, and @Tony_See! Great info and tips. I'm not sure yet whether I want to attempt to use both or just go with Lightroom CC. But it's really helpful to have this question clearly answered now and know that it's possible to get the best of both worlds if I want. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trick is to use both. What you do is do all your work in Classic but use CC only to import images. They will get uploaded to the cloud and will download into Lightroom Classic. Then you can use all the features of Classic but have your images also stored in the cloud. Also note that you can setup Classic to automatically store all the CC ecosystem images into a year->date folder structure which is what I would recommend (it's in preferences).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a catalog using Dropbox for source raw files and all other catalog work to local drive. This works well and I use Dropbox sync overnight while our part of the world sleeps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still unclear as to my options. I use Lightroom Classic via the Photography Plan with 20GB of cloud storage, which I am not currently using. I am thinking of upgrading to the Photography Plan with 1TB of cloud storage in order to use that storage as back up storage. How would I use this cloud storage as back up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

any update on this topic?

I'm in the same situation.

I have lightroom classic and I DO NOT want to switch to Lightroom (the cloud based one) BUT I'd like to use the 1Tb storage (I obtained an update) to backup all the photos that I phisycally have on my hdd. 

It doesn't seem so complicated to me? I'm not interested on using any of the cloud based tool. I just want cloud storage that sync everytime I exit Lightroom classic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines