• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need an app to quickly go through photos...

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the individual subscription to Creative Cloud. I only use Lightroom and Photoshop. When I first download my RAW photos off the camera card I like to quickly go through them and delete obvious bad pictures.  I currently use Microsoft Photos, but it isn't great. For one thing it doesn't show Exif info (I don't know why), and it also freezes,  poops out,  and is generally lousy.  Is there an app in the Creative Cloud subscription I could be using instead?  (Sorry if this is the ring place to ask this!) THANKS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Lightroom or Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a couple of options: Lightroom Classic and Adobe Bridge. For maximum culling speed, you want to set either application to browse raw files using embedded thumbnail previews so that images display as quickly as possible. (If you allow either application to generate its own previews first, initial photo browsing will be much slower.)

A very fast way to cull photos using either application is to take advantage of the Reject command and its keyboard shortcut. For example, if you want to quickly delete bad photos out of a shoot of 300 photos, you can quickly arrow-key through the photos with either Lightroom Classic or Bridge, and whenever you see a photo you want to delete, press the keyboard shortcut for Reject. After you have gone through all the photos, simply filter to isolate the ones marked Reject and delete all of the rejects in one step. Lightroom Classic can do this directly with its Delete Rejected Photos command.

The main difference between Lightroom Classic and Bridge is that with Lightroom Classic you have to first import the photos into a catalog, which is fine if you plan to continue editing them in Lightroom Classic after culling. If you simply want to cull right away, cull using Bridge instead, because Bridge is a straight file browser that will display the photos in whatever folder you point it to. But always cull photos copied to your computer; don’t delete rejects directly on the camera card because that’s risky.

Both can display EXIF and IPTC metadata in a panel next to the photo. Lightroom Classic can also display EXIF info in a customizable overlay over the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some third party options:

FastStone image viewer, free for personal use.

ACDSee,  not free.

FastRawViewer , also not free. Will unlike the others render the actual raw file, and also has a raw histogram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Photo Mechanic works well and is VERY compatible with LrC.  Here is a video of using PM and LrC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yAPrPVVfOo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines