• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I relinked the wrong photo in Lightroom! How do I fix?

Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I got the "! - File Could Not Be Found" warning in Lightroom, so I did a quick search and relinked the photo. BUT ... it was the wrong photo with the same name!

How can I relink the photo to the correct photo?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

You could use your OS to temporarily MOVE the incorrectly linked photo to another folder and then it will show as missing.  Then you could link to the correct photo and then move the incorrectly linked photo back to its original location.  This will maintain all your edits and metadata.  There may be as easier way but this was my quick and dirty method..

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use your OS to temporarily MOVE the incorrectly linked photo to another folder and then it will show as missing.  Then you could link to the correct photo and then move the incorrectly linked photo back to its original location.  This will maintain all your edits and metadata.  There may be as easier way but this was my quick and dirty method..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bob. I'll use that as a backup option if I have to.

I'm really surprised there isn't a "relink" option buried deep somewhere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob!

Genius suggestion man you just saved me a ton of frustration! That was a great idea and worked perfectly to restore the old edits I thought were lost! Thank you!

-Matty V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg Bob you genius!! That worked perfectly, thank god! I was so worried I lost my image with all the edits I had made, but your fix works! And yes I agree, very silly that they don't have a "re-allocate" button, would save so much time and head ache. 
thank you bob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for this wonderful suggestion. Works in Mac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob's fix is great - I do want to offer an alternate/ additional solution. 

I was dealing with duplicate file names that were confusing my import. My fix was to re-name (in bulk) the files that imported accidentally  (highlighting them all, "rename" and adding a tag to the end of each name) thus, batch re-naming. 

This broke the link between lightroom and the imported files and I was able to re-link to the correct ones! 

Hope this helps anyone if they find themselves in the same place! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"There may be as easier way but this was my quick and dirty method.. "

Another way to do this without moving and then replacing the file is to change the filename  to something like IMG_9999.CR2.HIDE. Once disassociated simply delete the .HIDE from the filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines