• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image appears corrupted in LR but not in PS

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've an image shot on Nikon D750 that I did some work on in LR, and then moved to PS. When done, the saved image appears with a dark rectangular banding in LR but not in PS. I recreated the catalog by discarding all previews, and removed-reimported the image multiple times without any avail.

See the area marked a red rectangle below.

20200202_NIKON D750_3294-Edit.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Are there layers in the TIFF file that have feathered layer masks?  If so, there is a bug in PS 21.0 and 21.1 that incorrectly renders the final image as seen by LR and other apps (PS displays the image correctly). To work around the bug, in PS enable the option Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing. 

See this bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/reproducible-bug-in-feathered-layer-masks-photoshop-lr-classic?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind posting a link to the raw Nikon file (if thats what you were working on in Photoshop)?

Are you using the workflow from LR to Photoshop anf then letting that process add the image back to the LR Catalog?

And please post your LR and OS versions thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tony_See

Are you using the workflow from LR to Photoshop anf then letting that process add the image back to the LR Catalog?

Yes. The "External Editing" setting for PS 2020 is as follows:
File Format: TIFF
Color Space: ProPhoto RGB

Bit Depth: 16 bits/component

Resolution: 300

Compression: ZIP

> Would you mind posting a link to the raw Nikon file

The image after processing in PS is saved as a TIFF file in LR. Is that what you're asking for, or the original NEF file? 

> post your LR and OS versions

LR Classic 9.2, macOS 10.15.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Tony is asking for a LINK to the Original RAW file that was sent to PS and was returned as a TIF.

So there was/IS an original file that you Sent To PS (Edit In: PS 2020 or whatever). It is that original file we are asking for.

Although posting both would not hurt so we can see both.

You can do that to any of the online storage places like Dropbox or even to your Adobe ID Creative Cloud file system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent a link to the NEF file in private messages to you both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We would also like to see the TIF file you have.

I don't see anything wrong with the NEF file (other than the file name being 30 characters long not including the NEF extension). I set that file to PS from LR and this is what I got.

2020-03-12 20_34_33-LR Classic Test V9 Cat - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

I didn't do any edits to it in either LR or PS. Only thing I did was shorten the file name.

But I don't see any corruption on my system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking into it. Your findings are consistent with what I'm seeing, which is the image shows no problem in PS. I've sent you a link to the TIFF file in PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The TIF is 1.6 Giga Bytes in size. You must of included many many layers as the original RAW is only 25+/- MBs.

The TIF I created from the original RAW was only 141 MBs.

Bridge won't even display your TIF file but it does open in PS ok. .

I did a Save As on it and added a -1to the end of the file name. When I tried to import both to LR using the Import button neither your TIF  or mine would show up. But by Draging me renamed file from Windows File Explorer to the LR window the import dialog opened and boitr images show.

Your is corrupted. The Save As copy, given the name Original xxxxx_xxx_xxx-Edit-1.TIF Does not show any corruption.

But in  my opinion there is something wrong with that file. I have never seen a TIF created from the 25 MB RAW file be so big.

2020-03-12 23_27_53-LR Classic Test V9 Cat - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there layers in the TIFF file that have feathered layer masks?  If so, there is a bug in PS 21.0 and 21.1 that incorrectly renders the final image as seen by LR and other apps (PS displays the image correctly). To work around the bug, in PS enable the option Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing. 

See this bug report:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/reproducible-bug-in-feathered-layer-masks-pho...

Please add your constructive opinion to the bug report, and be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, reverting to "Legacy Compositing" did fix my problem. I'll add details to the bug report in a few hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines