• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

import from iPhoto hangs

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to import a moderately large photo library (36,000 images) from iPhoto into Lightroom. I let the process run over night but it has been sitting at 94% with a message saying "Adding Stacks to Albums" for 4 hours. My computer is quite busy s I know that it is doing something but I see no progress. This is with Lightroom Classic CC version 8.1 running on a Mac Pro with 20 GB or RAM and 500 GB of free space on the internal disk where my photos are stored.

Should I kill the process and erase the partial results, and then start over? If I do, should I try the same IMPORT function or should I export the files from iPhone and then import into Lightroom. I would like to preserve my edits as well as the original versions and the metadata. The event structure is not as important as I will be reorganizing after I get the photos into Lightroom.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not sure what the message means. It’s a bit confusing because the Classic app does not have Albums, it has Collections.

Are you importing from Apple Photos, not iPhoto? The iPhoto app was discontinued a few years ago.

What method did you use for the import? Did you move the images out of Photos and into a folder on your computer manually, or are you using the plugin to do this? Lightroom requires that images are in a folder on a hardrive mounted to your computer. The plugin will do this step for you before it starts the import. Is this the stage it is stuck on? Can you see any of the images in your catalog yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an iPhoto library. It was originally in Aperture but Apple discontinued that so I moved to iPhoto. I never made the switch to Photos since I was disappointed that Apple continued to "dumb down" the application to make it work on handheld devices. The iPhoto application continues to run even though Apple is not releasing updates.

All the libraries and photos are on an internal hard drive (one of four in my Mac). The same drive is the target for my LR import.

I use the the File menu item "Import from iPhoto" - apparently LR recognized that I have an iPhoto library.

I see a number of my photos showing up in a mosaic in the Lightroom window but LR is not responding so I cannot access any of them.  There is a pop up window saying "Adding Stacks to Albums" and 94% complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I am not sure where it is hanging up. I only know that the images have to be copied out of iPhoto to a new location on your computer. It may be this process that is hanging. Have you checked the destination folder for the copies to see if they are there, or how many of them are there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can that it has created folders inside LightroomMasters for each year 1998 to 1015 (but nothing newer). And under each year, there are Month and Date  sub-folders containing images. I did view a couple of jpegs and the look fine. But I don't know how to get a total count of all the images that have been converted. And there is nearly 500 GB of free space on the target disk so it should not be running out of storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it sounds like it has indeed hung up on the process of copying images out of iPhoto. I don’t know if it will finish or how to restart the process if it doesn’t. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. I haven’t used the importer myself. I only know that the images had to go through this step of copying to your computer before they can be imported into Lightroom. You may try to manually get the images out of iPhoto first, and then start over with the Lightroom import process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines