• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Important Update Lightroom Classic to 9.2 (READ the info provided in the anouncement posted earlier)

Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some significant updates particularly one that could affect the Default Develop settings if you have used the feature for creating camera-specific defaults. My application was auto-updated overnight.

Some users may wish to be aware of the changes before they update. Just a heads up.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it’s good to be aware. I never have any apps or operating system set to auto-update.

I quite like the new raw defaults as I have always used an import preset which I have made the new starting point for all imports. This enables me to apply an iso related NR import preset on top of the starting default which automatically applies an interpolation of luminace smoothing. My blog has a bit more information.

https://99jon.blogspot.com/2020/02/lightroom-updates-february-2020.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for this - I have now solved a problem whereby LR randomly altered my In-Camera Profile back into Adobe Standard even after using the Edit/Preferences tab (Windows 10) to default the RAW import to Camera Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Lightroom Queen also raises some other points in her article, including the ISO specific settings.

LR 9.2 update. 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laura Shoe has also a very detailed article about the new funtions in the 9.2 - update.

There is a good video tutorial about the new develop settings included.

https://laurashoe.com/2020/02/11/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-9-2-raw-defaults/

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, I really don't understand the things that Adobe writes, their language doesn't easily translate to understanding (in my case). So, I have a question:

We have heard for many years, and it was certainly true, that in-camera settings such as saturation and sharpness (and probably others) don't show up in Lightroom from RAW photos, because Lightroom doesn't try to understand this manufacturer's metadata in the RAW files. Does this change with the new features in 9.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep Paige, there is a change, the master default can now be set in preferences to Adobe, Camera Settings or Preset. Note the reference to Camera Settings and not Camera Profile.

For some newer models such as the Nikon Z series (Z7 for instance) the camera itself will record additional settings to try to match things like contrast and noise reduction more closely to the in-camera settings. Adobe default will ignore them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is this change to make use of camera settings available to most or all cameras? How would I know if it covers my specific camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The extended capability described 99jon  is currently limited to Nikon Z series cameras. Other vendors may follow in future, but it's very unlikely that many, if any, existing models (excepting said Nikons) and those already out of production will ever have the capability. I think the best you can realistically expect for these will be that Lightroom Classic & Camera Raw will pick up on the base settings (i.e. actual in-camera settings at default values) associated with whatever Picture Style / Control you've chosen in the camera. For example, Canon's Vivid or Landscape Picture Style with Sharpen, Contrast, etc all set to zero. In other words, the only real change (again excepting said Nikon models) between Camera Settings and Adobe Defaults is the Profile setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The extended capability described 99jon  is currently limited to Nikon Z series cameras."

Where does Adobe say this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe says it now has setting information for most of the common cameras in use by Lightroom customers, hence the introduction of this change. For those happy with the Adobe Color profile and defaults there is no need to change anything. But I think you need to experiment with the new camera settings by importing a range of raw files form your camera and then checking for changes in the basic panel and other panels.

P.S. See Ian’s comment above; he summed it up well in a nutshell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Killer Tips specifically states the "Camera Settings" default will only try to select a LR profile that matches the name of the profile selected in camera.  Any further in-camera customizations like saturation, contrast, noise reduction, etc, will not be picked up.  This is strictly a "match the in-camera profile I picked" setting.

https://lightroomkillertips.com/february-2020-lightroom-classic-adobe-camera-raw-and-lightroom-cloud...

Also, there's no indication Adobe Default will now ignore the embedded LR develop settings from Nikon's Z cameras.  Have you tested it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried it with the Z7. These are the camera settings automatically applied- see image.

To enlarge image click image once, right-click and choose open in new tab. Go to tab to view at full resolution.

Changing the preset pref settings to Adobe default shows no adjustments in the basics (profile Adobe Color) with standard settings in detail:

Sharpening 40

Radius 1

Detail 25

Color 25

Detail 50

Z7.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for testing it.  If I'm understanding you correctly and that screenshot shows the Adobe Default import settings, then it looks like LR is still honoring the Z7's added develop metadata as part of Adobe's Default.

Note the contrast is -12, saturation is +4, Luminance NR is 37, L-NR Detail  is 75, and Color NR is 10, and they are all grey, meaning those settings represent Adobe Default for that image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot is showing the camera settings default. I tested again that the Adobe default ignores those settings. Hope that makes it clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's a screenshot of the Camera Settings default.  OK, that makes sense.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, when reset to Adobe Default, that image's contrast, saturation, etc. are all at zero (or Adobe's default).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes correct with Adobe Color Profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to an oversight/bug there is currently no way to reset, so to speak. Therefore, you need to remove your default settings as described in 'Delete default settings' section of https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html#Setdefaultsettingsforimportingrawim...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe says it now has setting information for most of the common cameras in use by Lightroom customers"

Where does Adobe say this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should perhaps say settings/profile information. Will always depend on make & model as shown on my Z7 sample. Also see Ian's comment on noise profiles for most cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can normally navigate my way through updates and changed functionality, but this one I didn't see coming. I'm absolutely stunned. I've relied on ISO specific defaults forever, and removing that blows my whole working process, from camera to finished image, to pieces. It's a disaster.

When I'm shooting, I often change ISO constantly, to compensate for using flash or not, varying light levels, the need to freeze rapid movement or blur it, and so on and so on. I turn that dial all the time.

Am I now supposed to wade through a 500 frame shoot to set noise reduction on each, one by one?

If they can't come up with an easy way to set defaults by ISO, in fairly short order, this will be a spectacle bigger than the one they made by introducing the "simplified" import screen. Remember that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still possible to create/apply your own defaults based on ISO. However, you will need to manually edit the XMP file using a text editor to include the specific ISO settings.  More details (including examples) can be found towards the bottom of this guide created by Adobe.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

Important Gotcha - updating the edited preset within Lightroom Classic or Camera Raw will remove the manually applied edits for ISO.

BTW, the reason Adobe chose above manual editing approach rather than preset creation within the application itself is that the existing camera profiles already include detailed noise profiles for nearly all supported cameras. This means that the nosie correction is already applied automatically (without noise slider reflecting same) based on ISO. Therefore, individual tuning at the per-ISO level is no longer as important as it was in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[...] existing camera profiles already include detailed noise profiles for nearly all supported cameras. This means that the noise correction is already applied automatically (without noise slider reflecting same) based on ISO.

I do not believe this is correct.  Camera profiles provide a mathematical transformation from raw data (unitless numbers) to colors in a color space, and not a whole lot more.

Of course I could be wrong, and I'm happy to be corrected.  Do you happen to have a link that describes the above behavior in more detail?  A quick google search turned up nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I do not believe this is correct.  Camera profiles provide a mathemetical transformation from raw data (unitless numbers) to colors in a color space, and not a whole lot more.

As with other vendors Adobe measures various paramaters of the raw image data (some call it fingerprinting the camera), which includes noise. From this information a base camera profile is created. The base camera profile is unique to each camra model and is applied to the raw data during conversion from scene referred to output referred images. This article explains it bettter than I can: http://www.cse.yorku.ca/~mbrown/pdf/Karaimer_Brown_ECCV16.pdf

Note that I'm not suggesting that this is exactly how Adobe go about things, but clearly shows that noise reduction takes place before the colour transform and colour rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines