Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Increased contrast after monitor calibration

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the following problem:
I edit images mainly for internet purposes.
Since I nonetheless wanted to create color-neutral images, I decided to calibrate my Lenovo Ideapad S540 13API (99 % sRGB) with a Datacolor Spyder X Pro. Notebook running under Windows 10.
After calibration, however, I found that images I created were displayed with significantly increased contrast after export on the Internet, making editing unusable (I always export in sRGB). Since I know that this problem can occur when viewing with software that does not support color management, I made sure to view the images in a browser with color management (Chrome/hardware acceleration was deactivated). However, the problem was identical here.
When I used the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile embedded in the computer instead of the color profile created by the Spyder, this problem no longer existed.Lightroom now displayed the images with identically increased contrast compared to all other softwares, so theoretically I could process my images with adequate contrast, but would have to accept the blue tint of my laptop.

My question now is: Does my new Spyder X Pro create defective monitor profiles? (I have created about 10 new color profiles, all with the same result). I also have downloaded an additional color profile created for my laptop with an X-rite device. This color profile has much more blue tint than those created by the Spyder, but causes the same contrast problem in Lightroom.
Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem? I would like to edit without the color tint of my monitor, but with the calibrated monitor it is currently impossible to create a nice image for web use.

Thank you a lot!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is something you need to take up with the Spyder Pro people.

Recalibrate?

Reset that screen to the Default calibration that it was Shipped with?

Use the sRGB profile as noted on this web site? https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-corrupted/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thank you for the reply, 

I´ve recalibrated the laptop for 10 times with my spyder, same result. 
I´ve also used a monitor profile, created with x-rite, same result.

I´ve used the mentioned sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile, contrast problem is solved, but monitor is of course no longer calibrated.

....That´s the basis of my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-11-19 10_13_55-Pasting images into posts - Adobe Support Community - 11608749.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unbenannt.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try recalibrating following the the procedure outlined at the below link. If the issue persists show us screenshots the Spyder X Pro settings. Thank you. EDIT Sorry, link below:

https://www.damiensymonds.net/cal_S5X_pc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply!

I´ve now recalibrated my monitor according to the settings described in the link you´ve sent...same problem.
Calibration data: ICC2 profile, Gamma: 2.2, brightness: 93cd/m2.

Graphic driver options are set to "default" with white point at 6500k. 

What else parameters do you want to know? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you set Display Technology to. It should be Standard LED. Try disabling the graphics processor at Preferences> Performance Use Graphics Processor set to Off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use Standard LED.

I unchecked the "use graphics processor" box and restarted lightroom... still the same problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said, best place to get an answer is with Datacolor.

Having said that, check that you are answering the Spyder questions properly for our display. When I first calibrate my monitor with Spyder X I had some issues from providing wrong answers. Takes some digging sometimes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"After calibration, however, I found that images I created were displayed with significantly increased contrast after export on the Internet... I made sure to view the images in a browser with color management (Chrome/hardware acceleration was deactivated). ... When I used the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color profile embedded in the computer instead of the color profile created by the Spyder, this problem no longer existed."

I recently read that Windows Chrome doesn't fully implement ICC display profiles -- it ignores any transfer functions ("gamma curves") provided in a profile and instead uses an sRGB transfer function:

https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/1592680 

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/web-browsers-color-management-solved/15071/35 

This could account for the change in contrast you see when you view an exported image in Chrome with your Spyder-created display profile but not with sRGB assigned to the display.

I suggest you try a different color-managed viewer, such as Adobe Bridge, Firefox, Ifranview, or Faststone (you need to explicitly enable color management in the last two). 

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to the display profile being ICC version 2 it should also be matrix based and not LUT based. I don't see that selection in the Spyder X Pro calibration software. I suggest contacting Datacolor Tech Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines