• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to extract a Profile from a downloaded Preset?

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm unsure of how to explain exactly what I'm asking so I'll do my best with some 'backstory'!

I have a bit of a unique problem that I have not been able to find a clear or concise answer for, nor have I received support from the creator of the presets so it's getting a fair bit frustrating.

About 2 months ago I purchased Presets and some of them do not show up in either Lightroom/ Lightroom Classic. The files are within the Preset directory folders for the software on my computer, so they "imported" but they don't show up within the program. I tried various fixes from these forums and nothing worked to allow the Presets to show up.

I was however able to determine the reason via the 'mobile' Preset images (which I also cannot create a Preset from), is they use Profiles I do not have within Lightroom/Lightroom Classic (Note that the 'Desktop' presets are in the xmp format).

I was able to determine this by creating a Preset from the mobile preset images WITHOUT the Profile checked which successfully creates a Preset that shows up in Lightroom/Lightroom Classic, but when I try to do this with the Profile option checked, it won't show up in Lightroom.

My thought is if it's possible to "extract and import" the Profiles from these Presets, it will allow them to show up properly. So, is it possible to 'import' the Profiles from these presets into Lightroom, so these will be usable? What would be the method to do this?

Let me know if further info is needed or if I don't make any sense. Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you don't  understand what a Preset is. It is nothing more than a list of intructions to the software..."Do this", "Adjust that", "Set this". It can't contain a Preset. If it's not already in the computer (in the proper location), you will have to download it from someplace. Or change the Preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening from Gulu....

I don't have a great understanding of your predicament or solution. But to me you have a Preset that includes applying a Profile (such as Adobe Color but something special to the preset). These presets will not show in Lightroom or Lightroom C if Apply Profile is checked. Even though they are in the appropriate directory with other presets.. and they show if Apply is unchecked.

You wish to find out how the Profile section can be extracted to its own file so that can go in the Profiles directory to be accessed ....

I'm not sure Elie got you either 😉😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I was however able to determine the reason via the 'mobile' Preset images (which I also cannot create a Preset from), is they use Profiles I do not have within Lightroom/Lightroom Classic"

As you discovered, LR Classic behaves mysteriously when you import presets that refer to profiles that aren't currently imported into your LR.  (Just one of many bugs and sloppy rough edges in the "new" LR preset implementation.)

More reputable preset creators will include any profiles that are referenced by the presets they sell you.

"So, is it possible to 'import' the Profiles from these presets into Lightroom, so these will be usable?"

I think it's technically possible, though I haven't tried it myself. A sketch: Use "exiftool -xmp:xmp file.dng" to extract all the XMP metadata from the .dng mobile image. In there will be a section <crs:Look> ... </crs:Look>.  And that will contain a line crs:RGBTable="uid".   Before <crs:Look> will be a very long line starting with crs:Table_uid=<gibberish>.   

In Adobe Camera Raw, create a dummy creative profile (a .xmp file).  Copy the <crs:Look> and crs:Table_ sections from above into the dummy creative profile, replacing whatever is there.

I'm fairly confident that after a fair amount of fiddling and likely some details I've omitted, this would work, but I won't be able to help further on this.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines