• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lastest LRc feature down arrow on previews wants you 'save' what?

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the latest update to LRc, my photos in the lowest line of photos come up with an down arrow on them after I do any eidt to them. Then if I click on it it asks me to 'Save'. What is it saving? Is it actually modifying my original photo if I do select 'Save'? I do not understand since all edits are in the History panel, so why do I need to save them again? And, I certainly do not want to permanently change the original!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have 'Automatically write changes to XMP' checked in the catalog settings before, and did it get unchecked? This sounds like the warning that the metadata on disk are different from the metadata in the catalog. You can safely ignore it, or turn on that setting again.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update Metadata icon shows up when you make an edit/metadata change even if you never had "Automatically write changes to XMP" checked and there is no associated XMP file on disk.  I just turn the icon OFF in Grid settings.

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.09.07 PM.jpg

 

Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 12.10.34 PM.jpg

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Johan and Bob have suggested - turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2024 Jan 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to PS and back, you HAVE to save the meatadata. If you shut it off, your chages in PS will not be applied.  And you won't know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way that Lightroom Classic and Photoshop are intended to work together (*), whether or not you save editing metadata to the starting Raw file on disk is completely irrelevant.

Consider: when you are editing a virtual copy to PS there is no possibility of writing edits to the file, and this makes no practical difference whatever.

SO far as what comes back into LrC from PS: the Catalog does know about this because it was the Catalog which commissioned its creation. This consists of a physically separate file (a TIFF or a PSD) and only the contents of that are referred to. There is no further dependence on the originally edited Raw by this new image version - let alone, on any editing metadata written - or not written - alongside that.

All the same comments apply when you start from (say) a camera JPG rather than a Raw.

(*) 

It would be possible to instead start up PS directly, browse to the relevant Raw using that, Open into ACR. If you had previously made edits to this Raw using a LrC Catalog and then written out those edits to file, ACR would see and use those. Just the same as if you had previously used ACR and it had written out edits. OTOH if you had previously made edits in a Catalog or in ACR but then not written those out, there would be none there for ACR to see.

And when you edit further within PS and save the results to a new TIFF or PSD: Lightroom Classic will know nothing about this either. The whole sequence would be simply none of  the Catalog's business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go to PS and back, you HAVE to save the meatadata. If you shut it off, your chages in PS will not be applied.  And you won't know. 

By @John244601386o3k

That is not my experience. I never save metadata to file before sending the file to Photoshop, and I have never any problem getting the edited image back in Lightroom with the edits applied to it. Just as it should be.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines