Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Launching Lightroom resets shared media cache location for Pr, Ae, Au and Me

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

By simply launching the latest Lightroom Classic, it will set the shared media caches locations for Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition and Media Encoder to the default lightroom video cache location.

/Users/{USERNAME}/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/Video

Even though Lightroom's own media cache location might be custom set to something else.

Running the latest app versions available on MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

Does this also mean that the rather small cache size limitations usually set in lightroom now apply to the video editing apps shared cache too? Will Lightroom also delete cache files from Pr, Ae, Au, Me ?

This bug has been reported for years. It's been marked as solved before by 

Well its still here, I guess someone has to really look into this.

@Adobe: Could you please provide a workaround, if there is one, for the time being until this gets eventually fixed?

Cheers

Andi

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Greetings,

This issue should be fixed in the Lightroom Classic 10.2 update that went live today. This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug Fixes

See whats new in the latest version here.

To update Lightroom Classic to 10.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Does this also mean that the rather small cache size limitations usually set in lightroom now apply to the video editing apps shared cache too? Will Lightroom also delete cache files from Pr, Ae, Au, Me ?

Given that the vast majority of participants in this forum are customers rather than Adobe staffers, I think you may be better placed to answer above questions yourself. I mean, assuming you have the one or more of the others apps you mention, how difficult would it be for you to test and report.

BTW, best place to submit bugs is on the feedback forum https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Just a plus one to say you're not crazy.   I have been struggling with some mysterious media cache problems in Premiere Pro, and only tonight clued in to the fact that the problems all arose after starting Lightroom.  So I ran the test:

Set Premiere cache location,

Quit Premiere

Restart Premiere -- caches are still in the same place (see Preferences/ Media Cache)

Start Lightroom (with Premiere still running)

Check Premiere cache locations -- they have now moved to ~/Library/Caches/Adobe/Ligtroom/Video.

Needless to say, this causes a world of hurt.  Including, most mysterious to my former naive self the fact that simply opening a Prem Pro project just hangs the program.  Ugh.

I found forums saying to reset media cache and plugin preferenes by using opt-shift while starting Premiere.. that "solved" the problem because premiere regenerated the previews.

You might ask -- what's wrong wiht leaving the media cache in ~/.... Lightroom/Video?   

Well, for one, Adobe's recommendation on cache location is a dedicated SSD, not the system disk.

For another.. there is the deep feeling of moral outrage that starting one program should change my preference settings of another program.  (Time for some deep breathing.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. There is a thread in the feedback site about this

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/launching-lightroom-resets-shared-med...

Three months ago they acknowledge that they know about it.  And yes, I did post to that thread to add about the problem of it hanging the program upon opening a project.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Lightroom Classic 10.0. 

It STILL changes the media cache locations for Premiere Pro v 14.5.0

It still causes PP to hang when opening projects that have cached media.

Oh, and it is writing media cache files to two places.

both to the folder

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Media Cache Files

and to the folder 

~/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/Video/Media Cache Files

at the same time.. same timestamps.

This is one confused little puppy of a program. There are posts about this problem going back to May 2017.

Does this only affect certain users?  Seems like it would be a real show stopper if it affected everyone.  Or maybe nobody follows the Adobe guidelines that tell you to put your cache on an separate drive.

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/ca/premiere-pro/kb/clear-cache.ug.html

macOS 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess we're not alone here. I've got the exact same problem. Media Cache Files for Premiere are saved in 2 different locations in the library. 

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common/Media Cache Files

and to the folder 

~/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/Video/Media Cache Files

Leaving the Cache in the "Lightroom-Folder" has led to stability problems on my machine, causing it to crash while loading cache files. But I'm not able (as you are) to change it permanently. Is there a way out yet?

Thanks.

I'm running Premiere 14.5 and Lightroom 10 (not updated to Big Sur yet but running the latest Catalina Version 10.15.7 on my iMac 2019. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe just doesnt want us to do videowork (PR) and photowork (LR) simultaneously, since its destroying businesses and cache-structures...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

This issue should be fixed in the Lightroom Classic 10.2 update that went live today. This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes. See Bug Fixes

See whats new in the latest version here.

To update Lightroom Classic to 10.2, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Lightroom. See: More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's still happening, even with the update to the current version of Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines