• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lens Corrections in LrC's Develop Module or in-camera "Lens aberration correction"

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the in-camera "Lens aberration correction" that is available to you in cameras like the Canon R5, is it still a good idea to use the "Lens Corrections," "Lens Profile" in the Development Module of Lightroom Classic, i.e., would the two work in concert with each other and augment the development results, or might they fight with each other or simply be redundant -- and using them both possibly interfere with the proper development of the images captured?

I have shot Canon RAW and used Lightroom Classic for many years and always enabled "Lens Corrections" when developing those images. 

That said, I am very new to the R5 and the availability of on-board "Lens aberration correction" (the DSLR that the R5 replaced didn't have an option like that).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding of the way it works is that because the lens corrections are built into the R5 raw files, there are no separate lens profiles to be applied afterwards. 

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's wrong. The R5 does not have lens corrections built in. However, there's current a bug relating to the R5 (and R6), which is that during import of raw files the two options in the Lens Correction panel (Remove CA and Enable Profile Corrections) are automatically enabled. Hopefully that'll be fixed at some point, but it's not the same things as having the lens profile automatically built-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I appreciate your expertise and thank you for your input. As I've said, I am new to the R5 (and for the most part loving it!) and I shoot RAW 99% of the time. I was under the impression that the R5 did have "lens corrections built in" because, when I set it up for the first time, in the first menu (furthest to the left with the Camera icon) under drop down menu 3, at the very bottom of that list is an item entitled, "Lens aberration correction" Chosing it, the following items appeared:
1. the name of the lens I had attached to the camera (I use only EF & RF lenses with the R5)

2. a choice that reads "Peripheral illum corr"
3. a choice that reads, "Distortion correction"
4. a choice that reads, "Digital Lens Optimizer"
I enabled choices 2 and 3 and set #4 to Standard, and that is why I assumed that the R5 had on camera lens corrections built in.  If not, what exactlt are those choces for? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Sorry about the lack of proof reading on my part, the typed word "Chosing" should have read, "choosing" and likewise, the typed word "choces" should have read, " choices."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have been more clear in my first post. The in-camera options that you mention only apply to Jpeg files produced by the camera (see my post further down this thread). They may additionally be included as metadata entries in the "Maker Notes" section of the XMP block in the Raw file header, in which case it's probable that Canon's own DPP software would read and apply those correction when opening a raw file. Lightroom, however, does not read those type of entries in the Maker Notes section of Raw files (which also applies to most camera settings which directly affect the captured image), so you would have to use the Lens Correction panel in Lightroom in order to apply the CA corrections and the Adobe-developed Lens profile. However, the bug I mentioned is currently automatically enabling Lightroom's Lens Correction options during import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, really helpful information. It’s funny, in a very real sense learning to use the R5 more fully has presented me with a whole new learning experience that makes me aware of just how little I know about the mechanics of the instrument I use to capture and create the art that Iso love to make. I thank you sincerely for sharing your knowledge and insights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded two sample raw files from Canon R5 camera samples with two different lenses and both had Adobe Lens profiles available which were applied at import. I have no idea if this supplements the in Camera adjustment or overrides if with the Adobe lens correction.

I guess you could check the different effects by turning off the Lightroom Lense correction.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 9.35.04 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 9.41.41 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Canon R5 for me, with a few different canon brand lenses. the automatic checking of the 2 lens corrections is really throwing off my workflow. i usually filter by develop presets of custom. these would be pictures i spent time working on. now, with the lens correction checked automatically, every picture falls into that category immediately.

any suggestions? thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only slightly OT:

I wonder how this works with my Nikon as well. My D850 for instance has the option to turn on/off corrections. However, these will be applied for supported Nikon lenses only. The lens data in the camera can be updated with a seperate download from Nikon.

I only use other lenses (Tamron SP and Sigma EX) and with these I apply lens corrections in LrC anyway.

If using supported Nikon lenses, does LrC somehow see/know whether corrections have been applied in camera? 

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lens corrections (at least in the Canon R5/6, though I'd expect in your Nikon as well)) that are part of the in-camera options will only apply to the jpeg that is built-in to the raw file, and of course to the individual jpeg if you are shooting jpeg instead of, or along with, the raw file, i.e. those options will have no effect of the raw files. The situation is slightly complicated with the R5/R6 because of the bug I mentioned earlier, i.e. CA and lens profile options are automatically enabled in the LrC Lens Correction panel during import (which could lead the unwary to think that's the effect of the in-camera menu options being applied, when it actually isn't).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I could find in the meantime, it is added as metadata to the raw file. For jpg, it's baked in.

If using Nikon software, it is then applied to raw files there.

For LrC - since it does not read and interpret this metadata, as far as I know - this means that it does not make any difference wheter it's turned on or off in camera and correction must be applied as used to in LrC anyway.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For your Nikon D850, lens profiles and corrections are external updates for Nikon's software and all third-party software.

Some (all?) of the new Nikon Z series have the lens corrections in the raw files with Adobe knowing how to read and apply them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that "on-board correction" work on raw files? I don't have a Canon R-series camera, but I would expect that this only works on jpeg files, just like any other in-camera correction.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines