Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6.14 permanent / Issue with face recognition

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

User of a Lightroom historic for long times, I discovered the face recognition feature recently. Very useful. So that I updated my catalog, revieing thousands of pictures.

After an issue happened with my computer I had re-install Lightroom software and re-enable the licence with Adobe support.

Now, I'm suffering some problem that seems to happen regarding this face recognition feature :

- Using the usual catalog, where many recognitions were performed, I can navigate to folders/view, but as soon as I click on the "people" view icon, the software shutdown immediately with no error message.

- I tried to create a brand new catalog and importing some photos with success, but in that case the face recognition does not detect any face at all...

Has any one suffer these problems?

Is there an way to check integrity of software and/or catalogue?

Regards,

Oli

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Lightroom menu system, under catalog settings, regardless of how often you have things programmed to back up the catalog you can choose the option to have the catalog backed up the next time Lightroom exits. One of the options is to test the integrity of the catalog. I don't know of any option to test the integrity of the Lightroom software. If you suspect a problem with Lightroom itself you could consider resetting the preferences to see if that would make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.

Integrity test option does not change anything. Issue appear on new catalogue too with this feature.

How do you reset preference?

I can add that a "catalog-file-name.lrcat-journal" is created when it does crash with no clue inside about error/recommandation solving.

Is there any Adobe additional troubleshooter tools to solve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many people have reported this problem with People view in Lightroom 6. It may be that the license to use the people recognition algorithm has expired, or it may be some other bug. In any case, Adobe will not be fixing this in Lightroom 6. People view still works properly in the current version of the software (LrC 10.1) and you can certainly upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last test I made is removing the files with ".agprefs" extension.

Now at launch, Lightroom considers a new fresh start with no previous preferences set.

I created a new catalogue and select the option to enable face recognition on all the catalogue.

Then I imported some files with some people faces inside.

The progress bar showed some people search on going. 

At the end, it was said, no people were found!

This feature used to work well on this workstation before calling the Adobe support about an issue on licence activation (pop-up).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got a permanent licence with Lightroom 6 and sadly got no money to spend on any upgrade.

When saying, "the license to use the people recognition algorithm has expired"

you mean that it's not part of the same licence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am reporting what I have read elsewhere. I assume that Adobe licenses the software from someone else, and that license has expired, but I certainly don't have any inside knowledge of this matter.

Here's a possible solution: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/lightroom-6-14-crashes-when-trying-to-delete-photos...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that is a known issue (now), and of course known by the support BUT not shared when a user is spending more than one a hour discussing with them. It's really a shame for this company.

This article (adobe-lightroom-v6-is-falling-apart) is a good start to understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to change your system date, last year for instance. Everything works then. It's an obvious obsolescence program. They need to be prosecute for that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back in time would impact other part of the system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the tips does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2021 Dec 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I may be late for this but for whoever is still using lightroom 6.x (like I do), I have found a workaround to make the face detection work again.

You can download a tool called RunAsDate provided by NirSoft : https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html

(Nirsoft tools are known to be safe, but you can use any antivirus software you want against runAsDate, just to be sure)

This tool will let you run lightroom (or any other program) with a date that's different from the system date, *without* actually changing your system date.  (changing the system date is a very bad idea, and will have a lot of impact on many systems, websites, etc).

So if you run this program, set a date that's before Nov 2020 (I chose 2019), then the face detection works again.

Note : I'm not responsible for any unwanted behavior caused by this program/method.

I haven't fully tested lightroom with this method, so there may be side effects that I haven't seen so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For thoose who are still trying to fix it 🙂

I found that :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lightroom/comments/knjkk0/lightroom_6xx_facial_recognition_causing_app/

it seems to work on windows, unfortunatly not on mac os version.

If someone finds something for mac ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2022 Dec 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great news for Mac users I think I have it :

open libfrsdk-8.6.0.so with hex fiend for instance ( ⁨Applications⁩ ⁨Adobe Lightroom⁩ ⁨Adobe Lightroom.app⁩ ⁨Contents⁩ ⁨Frameworks⁩ ⁨CIT⁩ ⁨Plug-ins⁩ ⁨FaceRecognition⁩ ⁨FaceRecognitionCognitec.bundle⁩ ⁨Contents⁩ ⁨Resources)

search for 48 8D 3D 62 22 88 00 hex string and replace with 48 8D 3D 64 22 88 00

It works for me with 56000 photos no crash anymore and no need to change system date 😉

Only drawback is when I import a new photo, LR detects a face but doesn't provide a name. But I can still put a name so it's fine for me.

Maybe an other value allows this to work but it's ok for me.

If someone is interested I use cutter to open the file and search for anything that rings a bell (that was the first time I reverse something)

So happy !!

of course if you do this save everything before 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines