Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom 6 and MacOS Big Sur

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

MacOS Big Sur is coming out tomorrow 11/12/20. When can we start using Lightroom in the MacOS Big Sur? I have Lightroom 6.

{Thread title edited by Moderator and Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If LR 6 is already installed on your computer, you may be able to keep running it after you upgrade to 10.16 (Big Sur). But note that it's not officially supported on 10.15 or 10.16.  Further, just as you can't install LR 6 on 10.15, you won't be able to install (or reinstall) it on 10.16, since the LR 6 installer is a 32-bit program, and 10.15 and 10.16 no longer run 32-bit programs.  A few people have reported here that LR 6 on 10.15 stopped working, and then they were stuck, since they couldn't reinstall it.

I recommend holding off updating to 10.16 until you get confirmation from someone else that LR 6 will continue running.  (Adobe isn't going to provide that confirmation.)

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I agree that it's possible that Lr 6.14 may continue to work after the upgrade, however "Big Sur" is macOS 11, not 10.16.

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 6.06.29 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@aliyam50991550said:

"MacOS Big Sur is coming out tomorrow 11/12/20. When can we start using Lightroom in the MacOS Big Sur? I have Lightroom 6."

As others have said, you may be able to run Lightroom 6 on Big Sur if it is already installed on your computer (pre-Big Sur). But its also possible there will be glitches and bugs, because Big Sur did not exist when Lightroom 6 was created, and you will be running unsupported software (Lightroom 6) on an operating system it was never designed for. Which means Adobe isn't going to fix any bugs found. This is a dicey situation, and in my mind, you are taking a big risk, and the best situation would be to stop running old, unsupported software on operating systems it was never designed for. But maybe everything will run fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Big Sur" is macOS 11, not 10.16.

Right, thanks for the correction.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This week Adobe posted a Support article Lightroom Classic and Big Sur | macOS 11. It says “Lightroom Classic 10.x is compatible with macOS Big Sur,” also saying “Lightroom Classic 9.x and earlier have not been tested for compatibility” and chances are they won’t be tested.

Lightroom 6, being 5 years old, is just not set up for the changes in macOS that Apple started requiring starting with macOS 10.14 and later. It’s already known that there is no way to run the Lightroom 6 installer on macOS 10.15 or later. If you want to run Lightroom Classic on macOS 11 Big Sur, and later on the new Apple Silicon Macs, and have it fully supported, it’s going to be Lightroom Classic 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

1) So if I purchase Lightroom Classic 10, is there a way to keep the same photos on the new LR? Or do I have to reupload the photos again?

2) Also, my camera is an EOS Rebel T5i, can I transfer these raw photos to the new Lightroom?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes your catalog would be copied and upgraded so everything will remain as
is.
Yes your camera is still compatible

Not Lr 10 is subscription only do consider the Photography Plan that
includes Photoshop ..
--
Best regards

Geoff Walker

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering. Can I upgrade to Lightroom 10 on my MacOS Sierra 10.13.6? And then  migrate to my new computer that will have the MacOS Big Sur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering. Can I upgrade to Lightroom 10 on my MacOS Sierra 10.13.6? And then  migrate to my new computer that will have the MacOS Big Sur?

Or which Lightroom will be compatible with MacOS Sierra 10.13.6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering. Can I upgrade to Lightroom 10 or classic on my MacOS Sierra 10.13.6? And then  migrate to my new computer that will have the MacOS Big Sur?

or which Lightroom should I upgrade that will be compatible for MacOS Sierra 10.13.6 and MacOS Big Sur 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 10 requires macOS 10.14 Mojave or later, according to the official Lightroom Classic system requirements.

Lightroom Classic 9 can be installed on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, but not macOS 10.12 Sierra. If you are running 10.13, you can install Lightroom Classic 9 and then migrate that system to macOS 11 Big Sur.

Migration to Big Sur might be a good option if all your software is recent, but if you have a lot of Mac software made for macOS 10.12 and ealier, I think it might be better not to migrate, and instead start over with a new clean installation of macOS 11 Big Sur. The reason is that Apple has changed so many of the requirements for compatibility with macOS 10.14 and later that in Big Sur, some old software might not run, and their uninstallers might not run either. With a clean install, you are more assured that the only software on the Mac is software that will actually work in Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad!!!
Right now I have a LOT of photos on my Lightroom 6. If you don't recommend migrating, what is the best option as far as Lightroom goes? Ideally I want to update to LR 9 with all the photos to stay in its place in the MacOS Sierra 10.13.6, then transfer to new computer. I think it may not be best to migrate. In that case, how do I transfer the new Lightroom 9 from MacOS Sierra 10.13.6 to my new computer MacOs BigSur 11?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you will of course want to back up the current Mac system including all your photos and other files, and set that aside.

Then, after installing Big Sur, you can use the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app to install the latest version of Lightroom Classic and any other Adobe applications you have a subscription for. You can then copy your images and your Lightroom catalog from the backup of your old system, into the same folders on the new Big Sur system. Opening your current catalog in a newer version of Lightroom Classic will upgrade a new copy of that catalog to the current catalog format.

After that, it is a matter of reconnecting the catalog to the images. The basic steps are described at the link below; notice that she offers a free eBook with more details about migration if you need them.

How do I move Lightroom to a new computer? — The Lightroon Queen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. After the transfer, I can't use my Lightroom subscription on 2 of my computers? I could only use it on one computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not going to use Lightroom on a computer any more, you should de-activate it. I believe in Lightroom 6, all you have to do is sign-out from Lightroom 6 to de-activate it.

Yes, you always are allowed to have Lightroom 6 activated on any 2 computers you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I have LR 6.14 and upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur. Old LR is still working.

New bug is that a white header is covering the photo if having information shown in loupe view. Turning it off (hitting "i" key) the white header is gone. See attachment how that look like.

LR is no longer my primary photo software so I have have not tested it harder that opening it.

Other limitation since Catalina is that map-module is not working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future readers:

"New bug is that a white header is covering the photo if having information shown in loupe view. Turning it off (hitting "i" key) the white header is gone."

Others have reported the same issue too:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-white-bar-appears-i... 

"Other limitation since Catalina is that map-module is not working."

The map module in LR 6 stopped working on all plaforms at the end of 2018:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-problem-google-maps... 

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/map-view-no-longer-supported.html?red=a 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just bought a new apple mac computer and reinstalled LR6 on it.  The OS system on the Mac was Catalina and LR worked fine. I didnt think to check what the implications were of upgrading to Big Sur and went ahead and did so.  I went to open LR6 this morning and it wouldnt open.  So anyone that hasnt upgraded to Big Sur and wants to continue using LR6 should hold off.  A bit late for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP. I was running LR 6.1.4 on my MacBook Pro 2016 High Sierra OS.  I just installed Big Sur OS. LR 6.1.4works but is a disaster and extremely slow.   I want to move to the subscription Lightroom anyhow but want all my photos to be transferred from LR 6.1.4 catalogs. How should I go about it? It's now January 16/21

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How?

1) Purchase your (12month) subscription to the PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (20Gb) $9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN 

2) Download to install the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App

3) Open Creative Cloud Desktop App and install Lightroom-Classic

4) 'Run' Lightroom-Classic

Your LR6 Catalog will be copied, and the copy upgraded to work with Lr-Classic.

Carry on just as before! With all the new features (and access to all the Mobile features!)

Problems can arise if you have more than one catalog. Lr-Classic may upgrade a catalog that is not your most recent. You would need to identify which LR6 catalog is your most recent and open this one (by a [Double-click] in Finder).

If a new empty catalog opens in LR-Classic- Close it, and locate you most recent LR6 catalog by searching for .LRCAT files with Mac Finder.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, Been using LR 6.14 updated to Big Sur with glitches. SLOW,,,. The option to minimize LR template is gone. Other issues. I just picked an image and edited it, it can be done, but it's awkward and fidly. Thinking of reverting back to Yosemite, but don't know the results of that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines