• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom for Linux - is it possible? Most my friends and I need it, because of not using Windows and current Linux tools can't get so great instruments for raw preprocessing and organizing...

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 429 Replies 429
429 Comments
Participant ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m going to have to put my foot down here. It’s not “NeXt”. It's “NeXT”. Sheesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw someone at Brighton and Hove camera club extolling the virtues of light room. I do not have a Mac

and I do not run windows at home (I refuse to now esp after steam has ported stuff to linux).

But I would pay for Lightroom on linux. I pay for steam games on linux.

I pay for other digital content. I just don't want to pay for an operating system

where it is easily hi-jacked by time wasting viruses and the like which applies

slightly more to Windows than it does to Mac.

Also, I need linux for work, I need bash scripting, gcc, awk, sed, latex

and make files, stuff that windows does not do very well.

Come on adobe, I will willingly pay 100 quid for light room on linux.....

I am sure there are thousands of others who would too....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darktable..... mmmm I'll have a quick play, and prob contribute to that.... looks good

http://www.darktable.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robin48gx/8492274548/in/photostream

Got dark table. Had always had probs with this digital photo getting the rell to stand out. First time with the gamma/intensity curves on dark table and I got what I wanted. I have  a new toy to play with, thankyou Mr. Pascal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robin48gx wrote:

an operating system where it is easily hi-jacked by time wasting viruses and the like which applies slightly more to Windows

Utter nonsense -  baseless FUD, FOSS zealot propaganda, and not remotely reflective of the Real World.

I've used Windows for nearly 20 years - and MS-DOS before that - and I've never, in all that time, had one single virus or other malware affect any of my machines.

Choose to use an open source OS by all means, but don't lie to yourself about why.

I am sure there are thousands of others who would too....

If there were, Adobe would already be plugged into that revenue stream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have had viruses and hi-jackware on windows, so have friends and family.

I have helped people clear up their windows machines as well.

I have also seen the assembler code to some of the viruses in MS_DOS

and its just laughably easy to get round the security, in fact, its more like there was

not any to get round. In MACOSX or LINUX there has always been a proper

layer to the security.

I have never had a virus problem on Linux or MACOSX.

But look at the marketplace. How many anti virus programs are there for windows ?

How many are there for MACOSX and Linux.

The market can tell you something there.

Also many viruses are now smart, they exist to hi-jack marketing information or spread spam.

You may well be infected and not know it.

The very early viruses were simplepranks, self replicating programs.

I had a friend who wrote one that after several generations formatted the hard drive.

He used an example from the Ralph Bergher book "computer viruses: a high tech disease".

No objective of making money there, so a very unsubtle virus.

The ones your OS could catch now are very quiet and stealthy.

Not written by students for a laugh, but financed by hard nosed businessmen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steam are already plugged into the Linux community revenue stream....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree. Regaring issues/viruses windows is by far the worst operating system. This was my motivation long time ago to move away from Windows. Not counting the fact that to keep a proper performance I had to reinstall Windows every 2 years (fragmentation, registry growing...).

Of course there is plenty of software to help aleviating those issues by defragmenting, clearing some cache or whatever, cleaning the registry. You can also install an anti-virus... But frankly I have no time to spend trying to keep my machine clean! GNU/Linux is doing that for me. I save time, I have more time to take picture.

Utter nonsense???? How can one say this today? Look at the security report. In this respect MacOS is far better, problem is that I'm working on GNU/Linux, so I needed a solution.

The solution is darktable for me today.

Sad, I was ready to pay twice to get a Lightroom port on GNU/Linux as I really like this software. Too bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like darktable can do most of the stuff I need for photos. Like the way it records a history of the actions performed on the image. I guess for layers and layer masks, and other difficult clever stuff I can go back to gimp, especially as 3.0 is coming out with 16 bit support (my neg scanner does 16 bit).

I would still but lightroom for linux if it came out though, because people talk about it---and various techniques they use--- alot.I reckon though I will have got used to darktable by then, and as it is open source, like gimp, people will invent and refine plug-ins for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have gimp available on windows, you'll get darktable when someone can be bothered: we don't hate windows users (although they can be a pain when they ask us to fix their crap), we more pity them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Masks in darktable are being worked on  You can test them (be sure to backup your library) by compiling from Git using the masks_manager branch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had actually decided that I wouldn't write in this thread anymore, after Pascals response to my thread earlier. But, alas, I got pulled back in.

Right, first, this message is written from a workstation running Arch Linux. This serves as a good platform for devloping bespoke JEE applications.

I use both OSX and Linux on a daily basic, and they are both great operating systems. These days, these days Linux is mostly at work though, at home OSX solves most my problems more elegantly.  But, in the end of the day I completely agree with Miguel de incaza (for people not interested in FOSS, he is basically the father of the GNOME desktop and a quite important person in FOSS), when he wrote his infamous "what killed the linux desktop" blog post -->  http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2012/Aug-29.html 

Linux as a desktop operating system, is unlikely to happen. For all the reasons he is articulating so nicely in that post. Linux as a specialized unix workstation, ofcourse, but in all fairness, all we need is a terminal, gcc, git and sed then really

robin48gx wrote:

Steam are already plugged into the Linux community revenue stream....

This is irrelevant though, why does it matter if a company making computer games have released a beta client of their store? Their business model is different, they are planning to roll out a console which is based on linux, which makes it a nobrainer. With that said, how many recent AAA title is available for the steam Linux client at the moment? None. When will they come? Most likely when the stream box comes out, hence, this is not driven by linux as a super tasty viable platform. But its rather a bi-product of a commerical product valve is planning to launch.

This is not the case for Adobe.

The linux desktop market is estimated to have a market share around 1.5%. This is segmented across a wealth of different linux distributions which are more or less compatible with each-other. Right, so we have a small market segment, which is fairly non-standardised and a bit of a pain to deploy for (unless you release your source code). On top of this, a lot of these people are fairly fanatical about free (open) software and doesn't particularly like commercial software . Java is a good example of this, Java is one of the worlds most used programming languages, but is still a second rate citizen in the desktop linux eco-system, java language binding for quite important stuff such as clutter, gst etc etc is terribly far behind the other language bindings.

So, in summery, you have a small, quite segmented, where the average user is very religious about why software should be free and open.

Ofcourse they haven't ported, thats a terribly business case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tf2 and counter strike source are ported to linux already. both very fast paced multi player fps. as i posted earlier, i used to have windoze for games like this. i no longer need it. off to play cs2, terrorists win.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Java was designed by a unix company, and ran on Linux and SUNOS before it ran on windoze.  Your example of Java makes no sense. I programmed my MSc project in Java years ago, and the `jar' file ran on Linux SUNOS and Windoze desktops without modification.

I find your conjecture about Java being unsupported on Linux rather puzzling. The whole point of Java is that it is multi-platform. I have no problems running Java on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

robin48gx wrote:

Java was designed by a unix company, and ran on Linux and SUNOS before it ran on windoze.  Your example of Java makes no sense. I programmed my MSc project in Java years ago, and the `jar' file ran on Linux SUNOS and Windoze desktops without modification.

I find your conjecture about Java being unsupported on Linux rather puzzling. The whole point of Java is that it is multi-platform. I have no problems running Java on Linux.

To be quite blunt with you, the trouble you have with my conjecture is that you have problems actually reading my post. Look what I wrote:

"but is still a second rate citizen in the desktop linux eco-system, java language bindings for quite important stuff such as clutter, gst etc etc is terribly far behind the other language bindings"

So, what im saying, is the important desktop open source linux projects, take Clutter as an example, do not embrace Java very much. Its is possible to find some half arsed bindings, which is several versions behinds the other language bindings. Look at this wiki page for example, check the bindings section http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutter_(toolkit)

Another example, java-gnome (which is the GTK/gnome binding for java), is not even in my preferred distros official package repository. Nobody cares, "just use python".

Your "I wrote something in java which runs on multiple platforms" answer is completely off target. Great, so have I, in uni it was more c++ for me, but during my 15+ years of being a developer by trade, I have most certainly used my fair amout of java. Again, if you had read my post, you could see I pointed out linux it was a good platform for developing JEE (..the J here stands for java you know ). But again, this has nothing todo with what I wrote about java as a language not being embraced by the opensource community.

Please try and read why I actually am writing. You seem to be skimming. Same with the games comment, Counter Strike is from 2000, its hardly a "recent AAA title" , TF2 isn't recent either.

All the best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

css has evolved, in fact last build was 31 jan 2012. tf2 is a current state of the art multiplayer fps.  but are you trying to say that because developers prefer python and c++ to java (as do i) that this somehow denegrates the linux desktop? i dont see how...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, this will be my last post in this thread as its getting a bit embarrasing. But for the record, counter strike and counter strike source are old games. I played it when it was released in 2004. And TF2 is from 2007. Ok, bug fixes and amendments keep rolling in, this doesn't make them new games though

No, I'm saying that quite alot of opensource projects are treating java as a second rate citizen because of its "roots". And im saying that ignoring one of the top-3 most used languages on the planet, mostly out of principle, sends a pretty clear message

All the best,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this has got a bit off topic. still the main point was I, personally, would buy light room for lnux, if it was available. I do want to support sw financially to encourage better products.

p.s.

java is c++ with all the difficult bits taken out, language for kids, pah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 21, 2013 Feb 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of the problem might be the fact that people who really need to run Lightroom, who are willing to pay for it, are already using it on another platform.  I use Lightroom for my daily work.  It is the main reason I run Windows.  If it were available for Linux, I might consider switching to running Linux as my primary OS.  However, I would not be willing to rebuy Lightroom for Linux.  I've already paid for Lightroom and would expect to be able to use my current license after changing platforms.  So, Adobe wouldn't make any additional money off of me. 

If you really need Lightroom, you're already using it.  I run Windows, but half of all serious photographers use OSX.  I wish there was enough of a market for Lightroom (and Photoshop) on Linux, but I doubt that Linux users are a big part of their target market.

Corel's Aftershot Pro is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.  I suppose if Aftershot is successful enough on Linux, Adobe might pay attention. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2013 Feb 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steam have solved this for multi-platform. Games you owned under windows, are available to you when they are ported to linux. I have paid for about 10 games under linux so far ... waiting for company of heroes to come over.... but other than that a very happy bunny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shall trial aftershot pro for linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried when it was still Bibble, but I was not satisfied by the workflow. To be honnest when you've tested to Lightroom it is hard to find some other software more effective. That's a real pain that Adobe refuse to port it to GNU/Linux!

Anyway, would be nice to have your feedback on AfterShot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

count me in. I'd pay twice as much for the license if I would not have to use windows.

Instead porting the whole software stack to Linux, Adobe could do what Google and Picasa has done with Wine. They have packed Wine + windows release of Picasa as a Linux version of the software. And it worked good.

Steam's Valve seems quite satisfied with it's Linux deployment of the platform, even businesswise. They claim they have more usage on Linux than on MacOSX...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2013 Mar 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Abode in bed with Microsoft? Macs are popular in the US but the rest of the world look elsewhere.
Come on Adobe, you compile flash for Linux so you have the knowhow, support real computer enthusiasts even if it is only Lightroom as a trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate