Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.1 and Big Sur

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just updated and find that the program crashes the computer completely...

I have uninstalled 10.1 and reverted to 10.0 and all is well.

I tried the software three times and each time the computer crashed as soon as Develop was selecte. The program also ran exceeedingly slowly!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am NOT a Mac user. But did you reboot your Mac to see if that made any difference before you reinstalled 10.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crashes were full power off restart required crashes (Just like the Old Windows 3.1 Blue Screen of Death!) So yes there was a reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If rebooting doesn't help, please post a bug report in the proper forum (which is not this forum). On the main page of this forum is a linke that says "Submit Product Feedback"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've reported it as a bug "properly" 😉

Thanks for your guidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you haven't already done so, then try disabling GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V10.0 was running absolutely fine so V10.1 "should" carry on.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found the GPU accelleration setting imported from V9.x is wrong for V10, I've set it back to auto and it seems to have made a difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the program still crashes the computer !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU switched fully off and the program seems to be running OK now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suspected. You're running a relatively old graphics card that whilst supported by Big Sur and Lightroom Classic it's possible that the two in combination are causing a conflict, hence the crash.

FWIW, if LrC 10.0 was working OK and you don't need the new camera support, then I would recommend reverting to 10. This is a relatively straight forward process using the Creative Cloud App (see attached screenshot). Click on the 3 dots button and choose 'Other Versions', then select LrC 10 from list.

Also, worth noting that the sRGB workaround for poor Library module performance doesn't work with 10.1. So, you have two reasons to downgrade.

downgrade-lightroom-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've switched off GPU accelleration and it appears to be operating correctly now. I've left it as 10.1, rather than revert to 10.0, even though I don't need the new camera support.

Adobe technical support suggested to revert to 10.0 as the changes make no difference to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to happen with AMD Radeon R380 and R390. I have a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with a R390 and have artifacts and slowing down in lightroom 10.1 under Catalina so i think this is not Big Sur specific. GPU off no issues either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same behaviour with MacPro (Late 2013) on Mojave with 32 GB RAM and AMD FirePro D300 2GB

I think more related to the GPU than Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.1 should run normally on Big Sur (I've been running it for a while that way without any problems) but there was just now an update that does fix a few crashing bugs, so might make sense to try. Have you taken a look at the crash log to see where it crashes? Oftentimes you can find hints in there such as third party software like antivirus, disk access, firewall software, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.1 runs fine on this end under Big Sur. 

Reset preferences first:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

Please_Post_Your_Sys_Info_as_LrC_reports_it.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here goes... BUT I have disabled the GPU and this seems to have fixed the problem!

Lightroom Classic version: 10.1 [ 202012012023-e92d50bb ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-GB
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.16.0 [20B29]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 3.2 GHz
SqLite Version: 3.30.1
Built-in memory: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 24,576.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 4,367.3 MB (17.7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 12,864.7 MB
Memory cache size: 380.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.1 [ 658 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1325MB / 12287MB (10%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1329MB / 24576MB (5%)
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon R9 M380

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did the same thing and it seems to work. Got the same settings as you have. Will it be fixed in future? If any logfiles needed, I can submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is about Big Sur. I haven't upgraded yet from Catalina, but I understood Big Sur to be OS 11. Is that correct?

The OP's system info shows OS 10 Version 10.16 could that be correct and still be Big Sur?  Edited: more research seems to indicate that OS 10.16 is a Big Sur beta. Could that be the problem for the OP?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP may have a Beta copy, or very early post Beta, previously v 10.16, actual published v11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big sur release identifies as 10.16 to most software still. It does so for compatibility reasons apparently. Lightroom Classic thinks Big Sur is version 10.16 for that reason I think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operatinng system reports as V11.01 within Big Sur and 10.16 within Lightroom. It's not a beta version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines