Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 10.1 freezes and crashes my computer

Explorer ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Since version 10 I have had to disable the use of the GPU in LR classic. It has been unusable, I was getting the spinning wheel all the time when editing, moving sliders, using the clone tool, etc. when the GPU was enabled. Lightroom was too slow to react and so I disabled it and kept working, hoping the next version will fix it...

Today, version 10.1 came out - I updated and re-enabled the GPU hoping that issue was fixed. But, it's actually much much worse now, when trying to move/drag sliders around it will cause my computer to freeze to a point I have to turn it off and on again, I can't even force quit the app or anything like that.

I realize I have an older GPU, but I had zero issues with versions 9 and earlier.

Any advice, ideas, anyone else seeing this too?

It's my work so very important to have it back up sooner than later, I hope.

Thanks!

I am on macOS Mojave 10.14.6 

GPU is Gigabyte R9 280X

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 147 Replies 147
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I have an Imac 27 '(retina 5K) 32gb Ram and a Radeon R9 M390 2GB graphics card I had problems with Big Sur and Adobe 2021, you returned me to Catalina and Adobe 2021, at the beginning I had no problems but yesterday using the Raw Camera of Ps specifically with the brush tools, gradient and the retouching cycle by zones the computer takes a long time in make the changes and pixelate the retouching area. Anyone having the same problem? Do you know if Adobe is going to fix this? I can't believe Adobe doesn't do something for its users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super annoying. I've been an Adobe cutomer since PS3 and LR1, and I'm thinking of jumping ship to Capture One if they don't get this resolved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same problem with iMac having 32GB video ram on Catalina. Reinstallations did not help, updating to Big Sur did not help. Only downgrading to version LR Classic 10.0 looks like solved the problem. Does someone know oficcially Adobe acknoledged the problem or not? Are they going to announce the bug (and provide solving schedule)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have contacted Adobe support, they acknowledged that it's a known issue in version 10.1 and advised to go back to 10.0 for the time being. A fix is supposedly coming soon. Going back to 10.0 has worked for me so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the going back to LR 10.0 definetly works.   I had ZERO luck with LR 10.1 - just hung way too much and provided multicolored lighting (screen). 

I was worried the CR 13.01 was an issue in conjunction with LR 10.01 - however after my system did an automatic update - I had had NO issues with 10.0.

Seem issue is ONLY related to LR.

Now to just wait for Adobe to provide the fix.   With them working on my system for one hour, the only thing they could provide at the time was to turn the GPU off - works, but in very slow motion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.  2015 MacBook Pro that worked fine up until this 10.1 update.  2.5 GHz i7, 16 MB of RAM.  I'll try reverting to 10.0 and hope for the best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure where to post since this thread has gotten so long - can't even finf my original post just replies.

Today Adobe released an upgrade to LR - new release is LR 10.1.1

I installed the release, and for me it still has the same issues (Hanging) as release LR 10.1

Solution - roll back to LR 10.0 which DOES work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, from the Adobe site, it is not much of an fix. just

January 2021 release (version 10.1.1) 

Specific files missing Lens Metadata do not sync and cause sync to stop completely.

So, no, not all that MACOS related problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a computer or software  expert but it seems me from this and other similar threads  almost all the users with the problem with LR Classic version 10.1 have a 2 GB GPU.  I assume this is the weak link in the chain and I'm asking myself which great differences or better which advantage  for the user should be in 10.1 compared to 10.0.

Whatever it is it must be not a minor improvement if it requires much higher memory or performance from our machines. The minimum requirements from Adobe still are 2 GB VRAM.

Even if I can work with 10.0 I'm confused and worried, afraid to update both Photoshop and InDesign.

Scheda grafica
  • GPU con supporto DirectX 12
  • 2 GB di VRAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with 10.1.  Freezes my computer in the Develop Module.  I've also gotten the large green pixelation.  Wanted to document this here for Adobe.  I'm using a 2013 Mac Pro on Mohave.  Never had a problem with LR until this update.  Looks like many, many others are haveing the same issue.  Please fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one on this community site works for Adobe.

Make complaints over at: the official feedback site:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872?cType=PROBLEM&page=...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi GoldingD,

I actually didn't know that when I started this post here, I assumed Adobe or someone from Adobe is monitoring this forum even if though no official answer was given yet, interesting...

So what's the point of this forum vs the other one (I didn't even know existed until you pointed it out)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point if the community site is for fellow customers to share ideas, problems, lessons learned, workarounds, knowledge, and fixes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Golding...    the value of this forum to me is that I got both a workaround and the instructions to keep my Lightroom going (revert to 10.0) and allow me to work on photos.   Waiting for Adobe to issue a fix that works would have crippled my operation for days or weeks.   Long live my peers and their experience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great of course but would be even better if Adobe at least looked through the burning issues customers have here on this forum or maybe combine the forums and prevent fragmentation of knowledge. It's (this forum and the other one) still under the Adobe umbrella, I would think its best to have one big umbrella, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. Can't use 10.1 or newer.  Any edit I attempt causes my computer to freeze, sometimes causing green pixelations.  I'm for now locked in to 10.0.  Stinks because I can't use my Nikon Z6ll camera raw without altering the metadata.  I'm on a MacPro desktop runnning Mojave 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest the following,

1. Revert to LrC 10.0.

2. Use the Adobe DNG Converter 13.1 to convert the nef raw files to the dng format using the option to retain the original file.

3. This will allow you to import the dng files with LrC 10.1 and do your editing.

4. Adobe should eventually make a fix for the problem.

This charade has been going on for over six weeks I am just hoping now that the turmoil of the US elections is settled maybe Adobe and Apple engineers can get their job done.☺️🙈😀

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RBLR: is your MacPro the new or the older trash bin ? Curious because I have the trash bin Pro.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The same here with Mojave & Lightroom 10.1.1. Plus: Freezing in Photoshop with Camera Raw window too. Any movement imposibble. Reboot can be done only the hard way (with power off-on switch on computer). And I cannot find any solution, workaround or suggestion from Adobe anywhere. It is impossible to go back because of upgraded catalogs etc.

We pay so much money for Adobe SW and...

Thanks ahead for any solution

umit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try going back to LrC 10.0 this should to work with you Catalog version.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try it. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. It seems LrC 10.0 works. 

I want to add: Going back to Camera Raw 12.4 from 13 does the same for Photoshop after installing LrC 10.0. 12.4 works now.

The whole case is bad.

Thanks again

umit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the same problem in my imac whit Mojave and Radeon m390, it's incredible
I thought it was about GPU but is Lightroom wich is not working propelly
I hope Adobe do something ASAP!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downgrading to LRC from Adobe Creative Cloud app.    LRC 10.0 seem to work for everyone (myself included).  Once you upgrade to LRC 10.1 or greater - you are frito.....  and turning off the GPU IS NOT an answer (as suggested by Adobe).  If you want to train for controlling satelites way out in space and do not mind the long delays, then turning of the GPU might work... just not practical due to screen response to changes.

Good luck... and hopefully Adobe will fix this soon.  It HAS ONLY BEEN two months now.....   LRC 10.1.1 sure did not fix anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Please go back to 10.0. It works. And as an additional back-step you can go
back to Camera Raw 12.4 (from 13) too. This combination works for me now.
umit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines