• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic 11.x looses session progress, unable to backup when closing on Windows

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to 11 and 11.1 and the issue is present on both versions.

On 11/19 I worked on some photos for 1-2 hours. I closed the program after I was finished. The next morning I opened the program and all progress from my previous session was lost. I have backups set to once a week, this prompted me to change it to everytime I close lightroom.

Later on 11/20 I was able to save a few backups without issue. At the end of my last session for the day I received the backup prompt and clicked backup. After a few seconds I received an error saying I do not have permission to save to the drive or the drive is full. Both of these are false, there are no issues with the drive I am using. I hit close because I thought it would close the error but it actually closed all of lightroom. I reopened Lightroom and my fears were confirmed- my most recent session, 1-2 hours of work, was once again lost.

- All sessions were done using the same computer and same external ssd, the ssd was not moved or unplugged between sessions.

- Upon opening Lightroom, after the session is lost, the edits are still visible in the reel at the bottom of the screen but dissappear after a few moments.

This is extremely frustrating and I will be reverting to Lightroom 10.

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the experience with Lightroom Classic. Would you mind telling us which version of Windows are you working on? Just to test, try moving the catalog to the computers local storage & use it from there to check if you experience this behavior again.

You can try to reset the preferences of Lightroom using the steps mentioned here: https://adobe.ly/2JSym5e

Please backup your presets prior to resetting the preferences.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happened 2-3 times and has not repeated itself. I am on Windows 10. Sorry, I wont be resetting my preferences or moving my catalogue at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happened again last night. Luckily it was just after exporting so I dont actually need to edit the photos again for now. I closed lightroom and selected backup. It said it could not back up to my hard drive just like it did on 11/20 so I tried on two other drives with the same result. It appears that lightroom is mishandling some temp files when I am working or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The next morning I opened the program and all progress from my previous session was lost.

I'm going to guess the photos really are there, and a full search would find them.

Do a full search of your Lightroom Classic catalog. Perform all 4 of these steps, in order. (Not 2 or 3 of the steps, but all 4 steps)

1. In the Lightroom Classic Library Module, on the left, under Catalog, click on All Photographs
2. Turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
3. Turn off all stacking (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
4. Search for at least one of these photos by file name using the Lightroom Classic Filter Bar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I never reported missing photos. I reported that the work/edits on my photos were gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not diagnose your problem as "missing photos". I diagnose your problem as "missing edits". My thought is that the photos are in your catalog twice, once with edits and once without. This happens frequently, as reported in this forum. Your case sounds like that. This is not a bug; this happens because you (accidentally?) imported the photos twice (possibly without realizing it).

That's why the next day you find the photos that are not edited, instead of finding the photos that are edited. And that's why you need to do a thorough search and find both copies of your photos, using the four-step method I described in my previous message. You will most likely find the edits are there on one copy but not the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, sorry, that is definitely not the case. Thank you for trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines