• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

lightroom classic freezes my IMAC 27 inch 5K. post working on raw files

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am been using IMAC 27 inch 5K late 2015 model and I am been observing a very awkward issue with my lightroom classic. It seems to hang and then freezes my entire system forcing me to shut down my computer via the power button.

The glitch only seems to occur when working on LRC.

Can anyone help me how to fix the issue?

thanks in advance

Shovona

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Hi!

I've spent about 2hours with Adobe support on remote desktop to solve this exact same issue. They totally DO NOT know that to do about it, or should I say, they don't know anything . Guy on support tried to persuade me that my network drive are what causes this problem! Asked me the same questions for at least five times. I'm totally pissed of! 

Lightroom Classic 10.1 has a massive problem with GPU memory leak! Once the vido memory is more than 95% full, LcR overflows it and freezes whole sy

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the following basic information

Adobe Forum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I've spent about 2hours with Adobe support on remote desktop to solve this exact same issue. They totally DO NOT know that to do about it, or should I say, they don't know anything . Guy on support tried to persuade me that my network drive are what causes this problem! Asked me the same questions for at least five times. I'm totally pissed of! 

Lightroom Classic 10.1 has a massive problem with GPU memory leak! Once the vido memory is more than 95% full, LcR overflows it and freezes whole system, makes it totally unusable for tens of seconds. Sometimes minutes. 

The fix is quite easy, downgrade back to LrC 10.0 or disable GPU acceleration in 10.1. 

This bug causes my whole system to freeze, show artifacts on screen, display green frames in video or disables video playback in macOS Big Sur 11.1 totally. Until I restart my iMac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate this answer. 

Having the same problem, but instead of any error message or any warning for that matter, both the lightroom and photoshop cs 2021 are just quiting. 

I just executed what you mentioned, lets see if it still arises. 

Thanks again! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my MAC gets freezed when I am working in LR Classic since upgrading to 10.1.

How can I downgrade to the former version as recommended? I am using time machine regularly.

By the way: The system gets freezed when I am changing the image detail. I see artefacts and crazy things.

Just to see what my system is:

Adobe Lightroom Classic

Version 10.1 [202012012023-e92d50bb]

System:

MAC 27, mid 2015, 5K

MAC OS Mojave 10.14.6

3,3 GHZ Intel Core i5

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Macintosh SSD

AMD Radeon R9 M290 2 GB

I prefer to downgrade and not troubleshooting.

Thanks for help and sorry for "simple English"

Gerry(Munster/Germany)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option to download older versions of any Adobe's SW in Creative Cloud app. Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 16.31.50.png

GPU acceleration is more than less some sort of an "eye candy" in LrC ever since it has been implemented. As it really does not uses the GPU for too many tasks. But it helps while Cropping images and zooming.

Turn on GPU usage graph in iStat Menus or Activity Monitor.app to see how poorly LrC utilises GPU. 

But even though I suggest not do disable GPU in 10.1 and downgrade to 10.0 instead. As this bug seems to be EXTREMELY massive and may cause demage of data being processed in GPU memory by other apps eg Final Cut Pro renders etc. 

This is not a tiny issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I uninstall 10.1 and install 10.0 through Creative Cloud will that
affect the plug-ins I installed since upgrading to 10.1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled 10.1 and re installed it and the plugins where still in place...(Status : Nik Collection OK , focus was gone, personnal preset in place)

Will try now with 10.0 as it seems to be the only solution now...downgrading...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for helping. I uninstalled LRC 10.1 and installed LRC 10.0 as described. Everything is fine now. Did not have those problems anymore.

Gerry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem with my mid-2015 MacBook Pro and turning "use graphics processor" off in both Lightroom and photoshop worked.  I hope Adobe is aware and looking at giving us a fix soon.  THere has been a lot of complaints on the various social media platforms.

I thuoght it was my computer and was about to do a complete restore loosing a lot of changes from the time of backup.  Glad I didn't but sure would have been nice if we found out about this problem from Adobe!  I don't normally complain but this is a serious issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ...

Thanks for helping me out. Very kind of you, it seems it's interfering with the GPU making my system freeze forever. It's working perfectly fine post switching off the GPU option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got nearly the same problem on the same platform (brand new iMac 27" 5K 2020 / Catalina 10.15.7+ Eizo 2731 and

AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 Go).

Lightroom Classic 10.1

Images out of a Canon 5DMK4 (RAW).

My machine is going very slow after only 10 minutes of usage (even with 24Gb main memory) , often freeze, the red mask of the brush sometime do not appear...then brutal crash of the machine happened several time since upgrade to this version.

Desinstalled and reinstalled Lightroom....same situation.

Working with Photoshop has NONE of this problems...

Huge impact on my work ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly I thought that it is problem only presen on Big Sur 11.1 but it's not. 

I suggest to pay attention to your GPU's memory load. My system i iMac 27" 5K late 2015. 

Once GPU memory si loaded for more than 90-95% this problem seems to rise. 

Because of 5K screens there computers have GPU memory fully loaded almost all the time. Notoriously LrC had problems with GPU memory in past. There has been a bug (a year ago aprox.) that caused loading GPU memory contents into exported photos. Resulting in Safari websites content baked into exported JPGs and some other "funny" artifats. 

Adobe, fix your products! Number of bugs especially in LR/LrC/PS is inacceptable! Not mentioning PS2021 memory leaks :-/. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not install Big Sur to avoid problems... ;-).......but problems are there anyway...

I tried to disable GPU acceleration last week with no success...same problems...

Re install of last version of LRc ended the same way...

I confirm high usage of GPU memory  : 95% (the graphic proc, only 2% ) => iStats numbers... 

Like you I understand that the 5K display is a real pain to display , and in my config I also have a secondary display 27" EIZO (Graphic Arts screen) to run...

My previous machine (2 weeks ago) was a 27" 2015 and was running LRC very fine.... I changed it because I wanted to be able to work more quickly.... (what a strange idea...)

Will try to install "version -1"....we will see...

I have no problems with PS....that point seems different from you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed Lightroom 10.0 and turned my GPU back on. Everything
seems to be working ok. I'll update this thread if I have any further
issues. Hopefully this helps you also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this possible ???? Disabled GPU acceleration in Prefernces but GPU Proc is at 99% after 20 minutes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem all day long, but not on BigSur and on a normal MacPro. Everything was fine until yesterday. Very annoying indeed and makes it impossible to deliver a job due...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a couple of general comments here, there are several users injecting differing issues, so here goes. Just some food for thought

Adobe indicates min RAM requirement is 8 GB 16 Recommended. My view, particularly if you are using other processing software alongside LrC,  think 16 GB min more would be better. LrC needs 8 GB for itself and your OS.

e.g. If you use the "edit in PS or another app" the other application will have to boot for you to work in it. I the case of PS, Camera Raw plugin will process the raw file. 

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 6.07.03 PM.png

My operating system is similar to other posters and I have no problem with the GPU operation. To my thinking disabling the GPU should not be an issue and quite frankly I experience little benefit if any when the GPU is activated, See the screen captures and the signature for additional info on my system.

Screenshot 2020-12-17 at 6.00.28 PM.pngScreenshot 2020-12-17 at 5.57.37 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently have 24 Gb on my iMac and I am experiencing that pb.

This iMac is brand new, 2 weeks old...

Disabling GPU seems effectivly with no effect with performances nor issues...

I downgraded to 10.0 just to see..Will keep you updated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading did the job. I had similar problems when opening DNG's in the latest PSD version. So, I'm back to the old versions and thing's run smooth. So, @ ADOBE: fix your stuff! And do it quickly! It's way too expensive to keep it on the customers to fiddle around and figure it out. Everybody who uses these products for making a living is ultra screwed. It also teaches me to disable all auto-updates! :-((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downgrading to 10.0 did not fix the issues....

Question : one of the most impacting issue for me is that the mask ( red, green, etc...) with the brush is not displayed...very difficult then to know where your effect is applied and where it's not....have you ever encountered that pb ? any advice ?

PS : And yes the "Display Mask" option is ticked...   😉

LR has become totally unusable for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an I7 processor, 16 GB memory, SSD drive and a 2GB Graphics
processor and I had the issue until I turned off the GPU or backed off to
10.0 which I'm at now and everything is working fine with the GPU turned
back on. Now saying all that I'm still running Majove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread is realy confusing, new post with different OS versions and Lightroom versions need to start a new thread. Not because most or all are performance related means they have to be dumped into the same thread. Allow the original post be focused on and get a proper response.

To wit, this is a user to user forum so the responses you get here are generally from users like yourself, who are trying to assist with problems and provide advice.

Feedback, new features and bug reports should be posted to the Photoshop Family forum where they will receive the attention of Adobe employees and engineers who can reach out to those who make changes to the application possible.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this thread is confusing, but one thing is clear: many users with different hardware and different operating systems experience the freeze since upgrading from 10.0 to 10.1 the problem is not the machines or the operating systems but something related to the differences between 10.0 and 10.1

If not all GPU cannot supprto 10.1 maybe Adobe could have warned us! But Adobe simply says 10.1 is here 🙂

Personally I would like to thanks to all members of this  forum who  with their experience are able to help us Adobe Users. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At "ric.aa" ok I am pleased that reverting to LrC 10 has sorted out your problem and that's fine. Your iMac is five years old, which is "old" in the evolution of computer equipment. Your GPU processor is apparently no longer working with the updated version 10.1 and you have not provided specifics of your equipment so I am not sure that your GPU will be supported when the 10.2 update is released. What then?

In my earlier post, I thought that the better option was to turn off the GPU in preference to reverting to the earlier version and offered my reason why. I also have an iMac 2015 model and my GPU is supported.

Care to share the specifics of your GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines