Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic hangs on startup - Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help please - 

Recent Mac-PC convert, using Win v10.0.18363, Lr Classic v9.2. Program hangs (Not Repsonding) if I click anything once opened. Sometimes it comes back after 5-10min. Most times I kill it and try again. Happens regardless of catalog used. 

Lr is running from the C drive, Lr catalog files are with corresponding .arws and .jpgs on the D drive. 

Everything is up to date. Uninstall & reinstall using Adobe Creative Cloud (+keep settings) didn't fix anything. 

Any suggestions? TIA. 

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Update

I found the problem: Logitech. 

When you are using any Logitech product, it silently installes a plugin in the background (not only in Lightroom). This is causing a lot performance related issues. Since I deinstalled it, almost all my Adobe programms are running much smoother and Lightroom no longer freezes on startup.

You can simply remove the Plugin in the Plugin-Manager in Lightroom. I additionally searched all my files for "LogiOptions" and deleted everything I found (not "Logitech Opti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the experience with Lightroom Classic. 

Would you mind checking the below mentioned details and performing the steps to check if it helps?

1. Go to Preferences > Performance and increase the Camera Raw Cache size to 10.0GB or more.
  2. On the same tab, check the option to Use Smart Previews instead of Original for image editing and uncheck the option to Generate Previews in Parallel.
  3. On the Performance tab itself, select off from the drop down for Use Graphic Processor
  4. Go to the General tab and check the box to Replace Embedded previews by standard previews during idle time.

Once you have made the above-mentioned changes, quit and relaunch Lightroom Classic prior to testing the application.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the optimization tips! Are you sure I should be turning OFF the GPU support? 

I've updated the settings as recommended, excluding deactivating GPU support. The startup process is MUCH faster now, (previews were originally loading in parallel). However, once the program is up, it continues to 'hang' while loading the photo numbers, ratings, flags, etc. Now only lasts a matter of seconds vs minutes, but still displays (Not Responding) and displays a new 'Lr Ps Classic' opening image if I click anywhere. I expect this process to be very fast. Are my expectations unreasonable?

System: 

i7 9700k

32gb RAM

RTX2080 8GB GPU

500GB SSD

1TB SSD

1TB SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This improved the performance but did not solve my issue, and the comment I'd responded with was deleted by a moderator. 

Not helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. My LR starts up ok and displays my catalogue, but then freezes after a few seconds for between 1 and 2 minutes. After that it's fine. I've tried all of your suggestions, but to no avail. I also placed LR on my list of Allowed apps in my Avast paid anti-virus but that didn't make any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robert harrye71861519 

Are you using any Logitech products (mouse or keyboard)? If yes, deinstall the Logitech Plugin, which is silently installed in the background (not only in Lightroom). This is causing a lot performance related issues. Since I deinstalled, almost all my Adobe programms are running much smoother and Lightroom no longer freezes on startup.

You can simply remove the Plugin in the Plugin-Manager in Lightroom. I additionally searched all my files for "LogiOptions" and deleted everything I found (not "Logitech Options" though).

Here you can find more information about this issue and how to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked this out in LR but no Logitech plug-ins showed up in the
Plugin-Manager.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever the problem was, everything works fine now. Perhaps the most recent LR updates have solved the problem, and to boot, I now use a cordless Logitech mouse with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my hero right now 😉 I have been plagued with horrific LR startup times (freezing UI) for years and have tried all sorts of things, without success. Deactivating the LogiOptions plugin in the plugin manager did the trick. Uninstalling or deleting files has not been necessary. So in a nutshell: Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant - disabling the LogiOptions plugin went from minutes of random hanging/waiting/crashing to instant opening. 18 months of frustration gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information helped me so much!!  Thank you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally resolved exactly my issue with a Lightroom Classic 10.4 upgrade from Lightroom 6.14! I wasn't able to remove "LogiOptions" plugin because the button was greyed out, but I was able to disable it and that considerably sped up the load process on my Windows 10 version from minutes to a couple of seconds. I then went back to the "Performance" tab and set those back to the defaults.What is really frustrating is that Lightroom plugin was installed by Logitech without my knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there 🙂

Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm having the same issue for some month now, but didn't find any solution so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

I found the problem: Logitech. 

When you are using any Logitech product, it silently installes a plugin in the background (not only in Lightroom). This is causing a lot performance related issues. Since I deinstalled it, almost all my Adobe programms are running much smoother and Lightroom no longer freezes on startup.

You can simply remove the Plugin in the Plugin-Manager in Lightroom. I additionally searched all my files for "LogiOptions" and deleted everything I found (not "Logitech Options" though).

Here you can find more information about this issue and how to solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nico THANK YOU so much for this solution! 

Ironically I've landed back on my original thread by google searching for known fixes to this issue. 

Disabling the Logitech plugin worked like a charm. 

I just wish I'd found this sooner!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please verify and make sure to use the latest driver for your graphic card.

Do not rely on Windows Update for this, download the driver directly from Nvidia.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated all the graphic card drivers. Still no difference!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem with Lightroom Classic on Windows 10.  I discovered the issue was with the "Smart" firewalls in Norton Internet Security.  The firewall for Lightroom.exe was set to "Custom".  I changed it to "Allow" and the issue went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure to not only exclude the lightroom application from the AV scanner. In addition, also exclude the folder where the catalog and the previews reside. You may also want to exclude the raw format of your photos.

Please post detailed specs of your computer/monitor/OS and the exact version of LR Classic.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm on my mobile at the moment so don't have access to details of my OS. However, I've been using LR for 2 years now without problems. It's only the last 3 or 4 weeks that the 'freezing' has started to appear. I haven't made any changes on my laptop or added additional programs or hardware, so I don't understand where the problem's coming from? Incidentally, my LR is up to date. Is it an update problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC details...

Lightroom version: 10.1.1 release - Camera Raw 13.1

Procesador Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
RAM instalada 8,00 GB
Identificador de dispositivo 7F8EA1EC-340D-4FB7-87E7-A12CF418CC16
Id. del producto 00326-10000-00000-AA974
Tipo de sistema Sistema operativo de 64 bits, procesador basado en x64
Lápiz y entrada táctil La entrada táctil o manuscrita no está disponible para esta pantalla.

Edición Windows 10 Home
Versión 20H2
Instalado el ‎01/‎12/‎2020
Versión del sistema operativo 19042.746
Experiencia Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Lightroom continues to freeze on start-up for between 2 and 3 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed the problem.  Just got new pc and LLC froze up just like on old pc? Logitech plugin in lightroom plug in manager. Turned off! Works perfectly.  Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot believe that I had not found this thread for so long.

LogiOptions seriously...what the heck...  I have one of fastest PCs one can build and I have been suffering this plugin nightmare for maybe years.

Unreal....

I diabled LogiOptions and some other plugines and now my light room is blazing fasteven virualized and on remote desktop....   Thanks for nothing Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines