• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic Import, Include subfolders search entire disk

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In lightroom Classic, when I want to import a folder that contains sub folders with images (by ticking the Include Subfolders box), lightroom searches the entire contents of the hard drive, including temporary folders, DropBox & images in folders that are contained in other Lightroom catalogues.
This does not happen when there are no sub folders (even if the Include Subfolders box is ticked).

Does anyone else have this issue, and what can be done to work around this.

(And all Adobe products are up to date.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you check 'Include Subfolders', then Lightroom will search through the entire folder tree of the selected source folder. That means that the behavior you are seeing depends on what you have selected as source folder, and that is what I see on my computer. If I select my 'Pictures' folder, for example, then Lightroom does not show my Dropbox folder because my Dropbox folder is not in the same tree. If I select my User folder, then it will show it, because the Dropbox folder is in my User folder tree.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your help.

But that is just the problem. I have a specific folder that I use for importing photos into lightroom. It's in a sub folder of my main pictures folder (and not the default Windows Pictures folder) in a different branch of the other folders. 
The behaviour only happens if there are subfolders in this import folder. The sub folders only contain images I want to import. The process goes back up the tree (in this case 4 nodes to the root) and searches the whole drive.

Very annoying as I have to do each folder on it's own - a particularly tiresome business if I'm working on someone else's photo library. (for which I create a new catalogue specifically to work on these photos).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the SOURCE section of the Left Hand panel Select only the Folder, or Folders, you want to import images from. You can Multi select folder by holding down the Ctrl key or I think the Command key on a Mac

Un-Check the option to Included subfolders.

It sounds like you are, you have, the Drive Letter (or Drive Name[Mac]) selected.

2020-08-10 05_51_42-Lightroom.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac or Windows? Which version of the OS?

Which exact version of Lightroom?

Where are the images located (internal drive, external drive, network drive)?

When you select the folder to scan, are you starting at the root of the drive?

Edit: sniped by Johan. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Windows 2004.19041.388 (the latest).

LightRoom Classic 9.3 Build 202005218810 (apparently fully updated)

The images are on a internal RAID 5 drive

The folder I use for importing is e:\Working-Photos\Photos-To-Sort\Import
My Dropbox root folder if e:\DropBoxes (I have 2 accounts)

I also use OneDrive - e:\OneDrives (Again I have several accounts)

AND I have a folder e:\Photos\Catalogues - where Catalogues are the seperate collections of photos from different catalogues.

When I ask to import from e:\Working-Photos\Photos-To-Sort\Import and tick "Include Subfolders" Lightroom searches all the folders on the drive, including Dropboxes, OneDrives, and most annoyingly each catalogue folder that has photos processed in other Lightroom catalogues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not how it's supposed to work (and not how it works on my system). Can you post a screenshot?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines