• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom is creating dups of every image I import?????

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import files from my SD card, Lightroom is creating 2 copies of every photo.  The copy has a "-2" at the end of the file name.  As far as I can tell, the two files are identical and they both appear in my Lightroom archive.  This is happening on both of my computers - desktop and laptop.  This started happening a couple of months ago.  Any clues?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic or Lightroom? What version NUMBER?

What is the version NUMBER of your operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your reply.  It's Lightroom Classic - the latest version.  On my desktop I'm running OS 10.15.7 and on my laptop it's the latest version of BigSur.  I'm shooting with a Sony A7rIV and the files on the SD card are RAW ARW files. I've looked at the files on the SD card and the card itself does not contain the duplicate files - it's something that Lightroom is doing.   Anything I'm doing wrong?   I've been using Lightroom for many years and never had this problem before.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot of tthe import panel? Any chance you accidentally turned off "do not import suspected duplicates"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I'll check on that.  I thought you only had to check "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" if you were importing files from a source that contained both old and new files??  If there are no duplicates to be imported do you still have to check the box?  I'll run a test tomorrow and see if that solves the problem.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility:

If your camera is set to write the photos to two in-camera cards (for backup purposes), Lightroom Classic may be importing both. I don't know if this is a bug, or if it is by design, but its worth checking. Also, please don't say "I never turn on that option", please actually check with your eyes, to make sure it hasn't been turned on by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's getting weirder.  Now it's happening intermittently, regardless of any settings.  (Note: My camera has two cards, but I've set it to RAW ONLY and there are no backups or jpgs saved to the other card.  Also, I'm not importing files from the camera - I'm removing the card from the camera and inserting it into a SanDisk card reader.)  This morning I formatted the card, shot about 10 pictures, put the card in the card-reader, and imported the photos into Lightroom Classic . . . and there were dups of all photos, . . . same file number with a "-2" at the end.  Then I deleted all of the photos from my disk, re-inserted the card into the card-reader, imported the photos again and this time there were no dups!  I'll keep monitoring this and I'll update the thread if I figure out what's going on.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recommend you reset your Classic preferences: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Basically restart Classic while holding shift and option. Many strange issues are fixed by doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines