• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile Import and convert to DNG

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2017 Jul 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Nikon DSLR and iPad Pro with Lightroom CC.  When I import my RAW (.NEF) files using the iPad Camera Connection Kit, it creates the .NEF and associated .xmp files.  If there a way to tell Lightroom Mobile to convert the RAW files to .DNG files upon import, as I do in the desktop version of Lightroom?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Hi vcina,

Being a mobile this feature would take a lot of system resources.

You get the raw files into LR Desktop, sync the collection, and LR Desktop then sends smart previews to the cloud, which is what the iPad reads. Lightroom mobile is not designed to directly import raw files and then convert them into DNG.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vcina,

Being a mobile this feature would take a lot of system resources.

You get the raw files into LR Desktop, sync the collection, and LR Desktop then sends smart previews to the cloud, which is what the iPad reads. Lightroom mobile is not designed to directly import raw files and then convert them into DNG.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I disagree ... new iPad Pro is more desktop than mobile, so I miss DNG conversion too - I'm moving to use iPad only. System resources is not a problem when iPad is on power supply - you could warn your users.

Please do not hold back on features for Lightroom for iOS - before you know it, Affinity have overtaken you (as they did with Photo/Photoshop) with their version of Lightroom ... and then I will reconsider my Adobe subscription.

I want Adobe to be king of both desktop and tablets - so please begin being serious on tablets! I can buy full version of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer (when it comes out) for what a single month of Adobe CC cost me add a 2TB iCloud subscription and all I'm missing is a powerfull iPad Lightroom kinda app ... then I'm no longer an Adobe customer ... so please do not underestimate the power of tablets (or mobile devices as you call it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must agree with M O J O.  The more I thought about the answer by Akash Sharma on Jul 12, 2017 8:21 AM

… the less I liked it.

My Nikon D7100 is set to store only RAW (.NEF) files.  I import them into my iPad Pro via the Apple SD <-> Lightning USB3 adaptor (via Photos).  I'm not sure if this import, via Photos, keeps the files in RAW format or converts them to JPEG.  In either case, I was able to edit them via Lightroom mobile and that edit operation produced .NEF and their associated .XMP 'side-car' files. The results of the Lightroom mobile edits were sent to the Adobe creative cloud as .NEF / .XMP raw file pairs and appeared in Desktop Lightroom CC as RAW files.  Thus, Lightroom Mobile produced RAW files as a result of it's edit operations.

If Lightroom mobile can create RAW files, there is no reason it does not have enough processing / memory capability to import RAW files directly and, optionally,e convert them to DNG format during import.

I agree with M O J O, "Please do not hold back on features for Lightroom for iOS". 

Please add the ability to directly import RAW photos in Lightroom mobile, and optionally convert the to DNG during import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer is short sighted. If the iPad Pro can edit RAW so easily surely it also has the power to conver to DNG.

And for devices that are less powerful Adobe could provide the option to perform the conversion in their cloud.

Currently Lightroom Mobile presumes a desktop based workflow with very short term mobile usage.

However, more and more a trip weeks long with just an iPad Pro and no desktop is possible.

Lightroom Mobile should be designed with the understanding that the user may not have access to the desktop for an extended period of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is more of an issue than ever. I see this question was asked 2 1/2 years ago. I love being able to import RAW files directly onto my ipad and to edit them immediately. I wish the RAW files (NEFs) could be converted to DNGs so that when it syncs with LR Classic, i would have DNG files and not NEFs.  I hope Adobe is considering this now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just moved to Lightroom CC/Mobile with the 1 TB to get my workflow into the cloud, thinking that as the new Lightroom should by now cover most of the features. Seems I was wrong. On the desktop app, I can't convert to DNG any more, and not even tell Lightroom to only import the raws, forcing me into an additionally copying step to put only raws in a folder. Pretty disappointing. The latter really is an absolute basic, the DNG conversion should be in place by now as well, knowing that the tech exists in house. Computing resources are an excuse I think, at least the desktop app should be able to do it just as LR Classic. What's up with that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conversion to dng is a trivial recompression that iPad Pros can easily handle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is even more of an issue for Sony, which only supports uncompressed 85MB-120MB files if you want lossless. Imagine the time it takes to upload those to the cloud at a hotel, and the storage they take on your iPad. Then divide that in half with onboard DNG ccoversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And there is still no solution.

Come on Adobe! Why do we have still have to wait for this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ipad Pros now can be purchased with 2TB so storage space in Lightroom Mobile for large photo files is no longer an issue if you really need it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the last issue left before I move my mobile editing process over to Lightroom. I can't believe that this hasn't been resolved after being requested many years ago. It's bad enough that  Adobe missed out such a basic use case at requirements capture...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Post an idea request on the Lightroom ecosystem forum, this is Lightroom Classic Forum.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines