• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom stalls on import

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to import files from an external drive and the import process seems to stall.  Lightroom isn't hung, I can click the x on the import progress bar and it will cancel the operation and finish. 

If I try to import files from the same directory and try to import again, Lightroom will import and handful of files (the last 4-5 times I have tried it has imported only 3 pictures) and then stalls again.  The import progress bar just sits there.  This has happened multiple times on different directories.

Tried rebooting the computer, restarting Lightroom, ejecting and re-attaching the external drive with the same results.

Running Lightroom Classic v9.4 on a Macbook Pro - Latest patches installed - 16G RAM.

Tried rebooting the computer, restarting Lightroom, ejecting and re-attaching the external drive with the same results.

Any help would be appreciated

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been able to Import successfully from the same Source in the past David?

Can I ask what type of device you are importing from?

You have outlined your specs well, but haven't mentioned that which might be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony, thanks for your response.  Answers to your questions below:

Q: Have you been able to Import successfully from the same Source in the past David?

A: Yes, I have.  There are 20 folders that I have been importing from on that drive and some folders will import without problems (the previous folder, I imported over 10,000 pictures without issues)

Q: Can I ask what type of device you are importing from?

A: Absolutely, the drive is a Seagate 5TB drive

Let me know if you have other questions or troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there sny Videos in that folder?

What option are you using at the top of the import window? Copy as DNG, Copy, Move or Add?

If you are importing from a drive where you placed the files exactly where you want them then you need to use the Add option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JustShootMe, thanks for your response. Answers to your questions below:

Q:Are there sny Videos in that folder?

A: I am trying to import directories and subdirectories on a Seagate 5TB drive.  A small % of directories contain videos.  Those directories have not caused any problems with the stalling issues.

Q: What option are you using at the top of the import window? Copy as DNG, Copy, Move or Add?

A: Because the files already exist on the drive, I am only trying to add them to Lightroom, so I am only using the Add Option.

If you are importing from a drive where you placed the files exactly where you want them then you need to use the Add option.

Agreed and that is what I am doing.

Let me know if you have other questions or ideas.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the seagate drive a Single drive or a multi drive NAS system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Single drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is perhaps energy savings getting in the way

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/macos-energy-saver-setting-208571en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

External drive! So are Power Settings getting in the way?

following link via Segate, so maybe not your drive, but an example

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/macos-energy-saver-setting-208571en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Logitech Options plugin installed? (relates to Logitech mice and/or keyboards) Very bugy, disable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I pushed through the import on the directory that was giving me problems.  Each time I pressed the import button and selected that folder, it would import either 1 file, 3 files or 8 files.  Importing 3 files was the most common result.  I would then cancel out of the import process by pressing the x on the import progress bar and try again.  After working through the import of hundreds of files in that directory, the problem has not happened for the other directories that I have imported since then.  I am not sure what the problem was, it seemed to be linked to that one directory and hasn't occurred with my other imports today.  Can't explain why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try this.

Remove, Move, All videos from a folder that has both videos and still images in it where the still images have NOT been imported into LrC already. Open LrC and do an import and select that folder that has only the Still images in it.

Does the import go through properly and completely? If it does your problem is because of the videos in the same folder as the still images.

This has been a Long standing bug in LrC. simple fact is Lr, the traditional version that started in 2007, was created to work with Still images, IE for Digital Photographers, and not for Video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines