• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom v10.1.1 huge vram usage

Participant ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does lightroom needs to use 23.2vram it's still slow? 

I have gpu 3090 last driver version window 10 last version

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide the following basic information:

Adobe Forum.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Lightroom v10.1.1 

windows 10 20h2

text with errors i have no idea what errors 

I was just started to edit and vram jumped at 23.2gb for absolute no reason

cpu amd 5950x gpu 3090 ram 128gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size (in pixels, not inches) is your monitor?

What edits are you doing when this happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that when i go over a new picture in develop module the vram increases drasticly. Monitor 1440

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that when i go over a new picture in develop module the vram increases drasticly. Monitor 1440

By @DjAligator14

monitors have width and height ... what are the pixel dimensions width and height?

Aslo, what is the size in pixels (width and height) of your original photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2560x1600

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And i do light edits from the basic and still vram is on maximum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics card is most useful for 4K and larger monitors, which you don't have. Since you have a very fast CPU, I would try turning off the GPU acceleration in Lightroom Classic (preferences->Performance->Use graphics processor should be set to OFF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, it doesn't make any sense to use all of the vram, photoshop also doesn't work good, even with my old sistem after i've added more than 24 files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, it doesn't make any sense to use all of the vram, photoshop also doesn't work good, even with my old sistem after i've added more than 24 files. 

By @DjAligator14

Sounds like you're not even going to try turning off the GPU acceleration in Lightroom Classic to see if the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did tried and it did work, don't start making assumpions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's confusing when you say VRAM 23.2. VRAM is the ram on the GPU. Are you talking about your RAM? and what is wrong with that when you have 128GB?  Is Lightroom Classic working normally otherwise? Are you saying LrC is using 23.2 GB of RAM? Is LrC doing face detection or address lookup?

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the difference and it's vram, because of that if i don't close lr so that vram is free again, i can't use any programs because it will lag horrifing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He mentioned a 3090, he means vram.... didn't realize it would just gobble up unlimited vram, jeeze, I have a 2080 super with a mere 8gb and it uses all of it the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As designed, LrC should use all available VRAM until another application requires a share of same. Unfortunatley, systems with large quantities of VRAM (typically 8GB and above) are not releasing the VRAM. Adobe are currently investigating why the VRAM is not being released in the expected manner. The issue also seems to be more prevalent on Windows systems than macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been like this for couple good versions and still not even a little fix. It was working fine with older versions, too bad i didn't check which one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to raise the issue on the Lightroom Classic Feedback forum https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

If there's already a thread on the subject (I'm sure there is), then the moderator will merge your post into the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing it too - but I suspect this might actually be by design, and that there's no problem to fix.

First of all, this only happens when you have the advanced setting "use GPU for image processing". If you uncheck that and just leave "use GPU for display", the VRAM usage immediately drops.

Second, I can see no ill effects from this. It never peaks fully, it always stops at 90% or so. No performance drop, no increased fan, nothing. Everything works perfectly. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't go look for it. When I open other applications that need VRAM, it's released and they get what they need.

I recently replaced a 2GB Quadro P600 with a 5GB Quadro P2200. They both go to 90% and stop.

As for the "by design" part - there's an old saying: free memory is wasted memory. It's supposed to be used, it doesn't do anything sitting idle. So maybe that's just what Lightroom does, and there's no more drama to it.

GPU.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me there is performance drop and a huge one. If i have lr open with vram at max and start editing in premiere, my system would freeze and can't do anything. Premiere would start using gpu to 100%. 

I don't know what adobe did but i should've note on what version it started this problem so that i would not update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same issue: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-vram-usage-impact-p...

With a 24GB graphics card it is even worse than with an 8GB graphics card. For now I've set within LR Use Graphics Processor to Custom, selected Use GPU for display and de-selected Use GPU for image processing. LR's VRAM hogging has way too much impact on other programs using the GPU memory as well.

Since other programs do not show this behaviour, I'd think that it is not purely an NVIDIA memory management thing, but Lightroom behaviour, or a combination (wondering if people with AMD graphics have the same issue).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem as well, all vram being used and then lightroom grinds to a crawl taking anything else running on my computer with it. have to constantly restart the program to maintain any kind of usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my response to the thread you started earlier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have amd (6700xt with 12gb of vram and it's bumping uo to 10gb every time I select a preset for my image).

I actually thought about upgrading to a 16gb vram one like the 6800xt but then I came across this post. 

And talking about ram. I never see more than 4/5 gb used (my system has 32gb). So I don't know what the problem is. And I don't feel like lightroom is that responsive as it should be. It seems like I'm editing on my old 2 cores laptop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It would be helpful if you could provide your 'System Info'. This can be obained  from the LrC Help > System Info menu item as shown in attached screenshot.

system info location.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines