Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR 2.5 strange lines on highlights...

Sep 15, 2009 Sep 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, LR has just updated itself at the last version, 2.5.

I immediately noticed this strange thing (see attached images) on the library module preview, but I felt reassured when I switched to develop module and the lines disappeared.

I exported the raw images and, once opened in photoshop, I saw again the lines!

Anyone has already noticed something like this in the new version?

I'm on a mac with Leopard.

Now I have to finish my job using camera raw (not the 5.5 yet, fortunately)... I hope, if this is a bug, they could fix it soon. Meanwhile I accept suggestion on how to turn back to 2.4.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 115 Replies 115
Sep 16, 2009 Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric,

no, I just try with CR 5.4: if I update it too, I'm afraid that the problem will come out there too and I'll have no more tools to  develop the pictures and finish the job...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary, you can keep a copy of the older 5.4 plug-in and revert back to it, in case the CR 5.5 plug-in does not work.

Have you tried doing a full re-install of LR 2.5?

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, thank you for your efforts and suggestions, I've really appreciated them.

I have to finish the current job that I'm doing these days, then I'll try to solve the issue (maybe someone during this time will solve it).

Meanwhile I've deleted LR 2.5 and switched back to 2.4.

Some people suggested me that it could depend on the CPU of my g5, because they had similar problems with other CPUs and previous versions of LR.

We will see...

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

Ok, please keep us posted on what you find.

Yes, I did note that you are using a G5 and we're checking to see if that could be the difference ...

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now having this problem also--red maze pattern in some light areas as well as red lines in others (which might be incomplete maze patterns.)  Using Panasonic G1 LR 2.5 on G5 Mac running 10.5.8.  Appears in RAW and DNG files imported to LR 2.5, but absent in RAW files imported into SilkyPix. Is not highlight clipping. 

Any help much appreciated.

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are currently investigating the problem. I hope to have some good news for you soon.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eric, thanks. 

I just took a look at Mary's sample images, and the lines in my images are exactly like hers.

How does one revert to LR 2.4?

Again, many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is sufficient to run the LR 2.4 installer.

Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4507

Win: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4508

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Same issue with CS4 Camera Raw I just installed.  PS and Bridge.  Strange red lines in the Highlights that are blown out.

Kodak DCS (DCR files)  Mac G5 Quad and OSx 10.5.8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting result, Eric.

Images imported into LR 2.5 which were then edited in LR 2.5 and show the artifacts, no longer show them if one reverts to 2.4 and starts from the Import stage in the Develop module History, thereby removing the previous 2.5 edits.  The mosaic pattern is gone as are the lines that Mary and I and others have experienced.  Working then from the Import stage in 2.4, subsequent edits are free of the artifacts.

Again Panasonic G1, Mac G5, OS X 10.5.8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to chime in and say that I just discovered this same issue: highlights clip and are surrounded by odd pixellated borders, only when running LR2.5 and only on a PPC G5 Mac with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and (so far) only on raw files from my Panasonic G1.

A bit further exposition:

• Lightroom 2.5 on G5 with 10.5.8 does display the issue.
  • Lightroom 2.5 on Intel (MacBook) with 10.6.1 does not display the issue.
  • Lightroom 2.4 on G5 does not display the issue.
  • To isolate Lightroom, I processed the same raw files with Iridient Raw Developer and this does not display the issue.

I'm attaching example files:

Lightroom 2.5 on PPC G5 --

http://ranger9.net/temp/lr_issue/LR25PPC.jpg

Lightroom 2.5 on Intel MacBook --

http://ranger9.net/temp/lr_issue/LR25I.jpg

Lightroom 2.4 in PPC G5 --

http://ranger9.net/temp/lr_issue/LR24PPC.jpg

Iridient Raw Developer on PPC G5 --

http://ranger9.net/temp/lr_issue/RD.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2009 Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this problem on a MAC PowerPC G5 running OSX 10.4.11:

See the TV aerials in the background, below (Leica M9 image):

Fringing-in-LR2.5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that I have this problem on a Mac G5 PPC, OSX10.4.11, I simpley install 2.5 over the top of 2.4. Problem seems to only occur in 'blown specular highlights', and adjusting exposure has no effect on the red/blue streaks/dots.

This is on M8 files using the Adobe Camera Standard Profile.

I have ditched 2.5 (reinstalled 2.4 'over the top of it).

See attached file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad to see that I'm in good company...

So this is definately a CPU issue.

Hope Adobe is listening...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary,

Yes indeed, and I have submitted a formal bug report to Adobe - but I

am not holding my breath for any kind of fix - I suspect that most

software developers want to ditch support for Mac PPCs (as has

Capture One, which is why I switched to Lightroom!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did a little test of my Canon 1D Mk II in LR 2.5 and found none of the artifacts seen with the Panasonic G1.  As before, using a Mac G5 and running OS X 10.5.8.

So apparently there is a Camera X CPU interaction causing the issue.  No real surprise.  More effort into making sure a new release supported Canon, Nikon, etc., even with PPC Macs, and less effort into Panasonic, SONY, Leica, etc., makes sense.  I wonder if Olympus users are seeing the artifacts.

If I can limp along a little longer on my PPC G5 using LR 2.4, OK, but the handwriting is on the wall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled LR2.4 and the problem went away.

I hope that Adobe fixes this bug, however, and provides a proper profile for the Leica M9 at the same time - especially as Leica is bundling LR 2.X with the M9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After hearing a report of problems, I performed a test with LR2.5 running on a PowerMac G5, Leopard 10.5.8 system using RAW files from six different cameras. (Olympus E-1, E-P1; Panasonic L1, G1; Pentax K10D, *ist DS)

Artifacts and patterns (mottled colors in rectilinear organization) were generated in near-saturation highlight areas on all of them. Downgrading to LR2.4 and looking at the same RAW files eliminated the artifacts.

A bug report has been filed -- Adobe: Case #0181182294.

I subsequently tested on a PowerBook G4 laptop, Mac OS X v10.5.8 and found exactly the same behavior.

(Downgrading is easy: delete the LR2.5 application and re-install LR2.4)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to LR 2.5 I can also confirm the same behavior 😞
The artefacts appear only in highlights.

It seems to be camera indipendent, because I have RAWs from 2 different cameras.

The pictures existed already in the database before updating LR.

I tried the following:

• Dismissed the preview and recreated both reviews sizes - No change
  • Cleared the RAW cache - No change
  • Reinstalled over existing LR 2.5 - No change
  • Deleted LR 2.5 and did a "clean" LR 2.5 installation - No change
  • Deleted *previews.lrdata and let LR recreated the previews - No change

My hardware:

• latest Powerbook - so PowerPC G4 processor, FW800 CF Card Reader, Sandisk Extreme 8GB, Iomega 2,5" 500GB FW800
  • Olympus E3
  • Olympus E300

My guess:

• It's a problem which already existed in former versions of LR - I had this & see other forums
  • it's not an import problem, because it appears on existing data
  • it is camera independent, because on the Net you can find reports of Canon, Nikon and Olympus too.
    eg. http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00UFW9
  • Other LR users report this "feature" or similar on Intel Macs and on Windows PCs
    e.g. http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php?topic=7587.0
  • it's not a card reader problem, see above and other people could confirm this
  • Finally I guess it's a programming problem with the RAW module, which had some updates for new camera models in LR 2.5

I will now try to downgrade LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ham26:

> It's a problem which already existed in former versions of LR - I had this & see other forums

I've heard of artifacting from time to time prior to ACR5.5/LR2.5, but have never seen it with any of my RAW files from Canon, Olympus, Minolta, Nikon, Pentax or Panasonic cameras (the list of models is too ridiculous to post in its entirety... 😉 over the past 8 years.
This new problem surfaced and is visible immediately with nearly all of them, although I formally tested with just the six models I listed above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, finally downgraded to LR 2.4!

• Checked first some pictures in the Quick Collection - Same artefacts
  • Dismissed preview - rerendered preview - Still artefacts
  • Selected picture in the original LR folder - dismissed, rerendered - no artefacts OKI DOKI
  • Tried the same with other images with artefacts, but no luck!!!
  • Deleted *.previews.lrdata
  • Rendered previews - now no artefacts anymore
  • Started rendering on the rest of this catalog (some 1500) - let's see the results tomorrow!

I guess on downgrading you will run into the same problem, because if the catalog has been opened with LR 2.5 the corrupted data has been written to the lrdata file.

Luckily I don't have all my photographs in one big database

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I guess on downgrading you will run into the same problem, because if the catalog has been opened with LR 2.5 the corrupted data has been written to the lrdata file."

Don't worry: I did the downgrade and, when LR refreshes the previews, pictures are displayed and exported correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I did the downgrade to 2.4 I found that the files I'd already opened in

2.5 automatically reverted to the uncorrupted version when reopened - I

could actually see the artifacts disappearing in the thumbnails as I clicked

on them.

However, it may be significant that I store my original RAW images on

external hard disks and do not use the 'automatic backup' facility in

Lightroom. I prefer to do my own manual backups on a stack of hard disks.

Apart from anything else, this avoids triggering Lightroom's voracious

appetite for disk space if you let it go its own sweet way...

John L Dobson

Editor

Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

Ride the Ffestiniog Railway, the world's oldest independent railway company

and narrow-gauge pioneer. Established 23 May 1832 by Act of Parliament.

www.festrail.co.uk

2009/9/18 mary morgian <forums@adobe.com>

"I guess on downgrading you will run into the same problem, because if the

catalog has been opened with LR 2.5 the corrupted data has been written to

the lrdata file."

>

Don't worry: I did the downgrade and, when LR refreshes the previews,

pictures are displayed and exported correctly.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2009 Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in here --

I see the same problem in LR 2.5, even on cRAW files imported long ago from the Sony a700. The problem disappears when any thumbnails are refreshed (or the files are rendered for the first time) using LR 2.4.

Any file displaying these artifacts will also display them in an exported image from LR 2.5, whether it be JPG or TIFF (etc). No file exported from LR 2.4 will show them, even if the thumbnail still does (ie, has not yet been refreshed/re-rendered).

I have a PPC G5 running Mac OS X 10.5.8.

This is extremely irritating for now I have no way to handle files from my Sony a850.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2588/3938260239_4d69e28067_o.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2009 Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... This is extremely irritating for now I have no way to handle files from my Sony a850.

It is extremely irritating, but for the present just convert your Sony A850 RAW files to DNG format using DNG Converter v5.5 and process them in Lightroom v2.4. They'll work just fine.

Adobe responded to my bug report. I sent further information, test file and catalog, and screen shots to the support person who wrote me. The text of my further response along with the screen shots is as follows:

ref: TS Case Number : 181182294

The exact problem is that in updating from Lightroom v2.4 to Lightroom v2.5, processing the exact same files in both, the new v2.5 version introduces a lot of artifacts in the highlight areas of the image. I then tested with the Camera Raw v5.4 and v5.5 plugins which demonstrated the same issue.

Responding to your query for more information:

> 1. What is the version of the product?

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom v2.5

Camera Raw v5.5

> 2 What are the exact workflow you are following which are resulting in

the issue?

I've replicated the problem as follows using Lightroom. All files are supplied as a .zip file attachment, FTP transferred to your site

- Create a new catalog with Lightroom v2.4.

- Import the supplied sample DNG file.

- Render a 1:1 Preview

- View the file at 1:1 ... No artifacts.

- make a screen capture (filename: "using_LR24.png")

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/using_LR24.jpg

- Install Lightroom v2.5

- delete the catalog's .LRDATA preview file

- open the catalog with Lightroom v2.5

- Render a 1:1 Preview

- View the file at 1:1 ... artifacts.

- make a screen capture (filename: "using_LR25.png")

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/using_LR25.jpg

The system this test was performed on is an Apple PowerBook G4, 1.67Ghz cpu, fitted with 1.5G RAM and 250G hard drive. The exact same results are duplicateable on my Apple Power Macintosh G5, 2.0Ghz dual cpu, 8G RAM, with 1T startup volume. Both systems are running Mac OS X v10.5.8 with identical configurations. No other changes, hardware or software, were made between capturing the screen as noted in the description.

This particular sample image file was produced with a Panasonic G1 camera, originally a native .RW2 raw file. The DNG file was created with Lightroom v2.4. The same behavior has been replicated with RAW files captured from Panasonic L1, Olympus E-1, Pentax K10D, Canon 10D, Pentax *ist DS, and Olympus C8080WZ files, both native raw format and DNG converted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines