• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR thinks my hard drives are network or read only

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have four drives installed on my system C through F.

C: and F: are ssd sata drives

D and E: are nvme on the PCI bus.

I keep my LR catalogs on D-F and the images are with the catalogs. 

For some reason none of my catalogs show up on any drive in the "select catalog" dialog.  When I either "choose a differnt catalog" or "create new catalog" I get the same result,  LR can't open or create  because it is either a network volume or read only. Well, they are not network drives and I did check permissions "full control for authenticated users". I get the same result across all three drives.  The drives seem to behave normally in windows 10 pro 1909.

Any help or suggestion from someone who has experienced this would be greatly appreciated.

bb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find one of the desired catalog files using Windows Explorer and double-click on it.

Also, it is not sufficient to check the permissions on the drive. You have to check the permissions on the exact folder where the catalog is stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Permissions are set using top level directory and all below it as below.

bruce964_0-1595881484678.png

Double-clicking on the catalog provides a more perfuntory message

bruce964_1-1595881669851.png

This behavior is true on my windows "c:" drive as well.  

I'll add that this behavior survives a re-boot and that since it happens across 4 drives of two different types, it's very unlikely a permissions issue in windows security tab. I can confirm also that LR classic 6 so has the same issue. I have no problem using PS or notepad top save or edit files in the folder.

bb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unexpected error opening catalog — try unzipping a recent backup of your catalog file, place it on a different disk than the original, and see if it will open by double-clicking on it.

Great example, by the way, of why you shouldn't jump to conclusions (that it is a permissions problem) and just present the eveidence (error message). I don't think this has anything to do with permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried two catalogs...one recent and one from 2017 when I had no problems... same failure

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add Your Username to the list and give it FULL Access.

Authenticated user means Windows has Total of your system.

Same Goes for the Administrator listing.

You need to add your Usename

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm logged in as an admin with full control

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"LR can't open or create  because it is either a network volume or read only."

Right-click one of the drives and do Properties.  Paste a screenshot of the window here, e.g.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also use the Windows Drive Management tool to see if there is any weirdness going on there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bruce964_0-1595889647499.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Windows is reporting D is a standard local drive. As ManiacJoe suggested, you could run the Computer Management app and select Disk Management to get a little more information, but it seems likely it won't show anything fishy, e.g. 

johnrellis_0-1595892976620.png

dj_paige's suggestions are a good way to proceed.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeating:

Unexpected error opening catalog — try unzipping a recent backup of your catalog file, place it on a different disk than the original, and see if it will open by double-clicking on it.

Great example, by the way, of why you shouldn't jump to conclusions (that it is a permissions problem) and just present the eveidence (error message). I don't think this has anything to do with permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, everythinkg looks fine under computer management.

I moved the catalog to a portable disk and a usb thumb drive...both gave the "unexpected error opening" msg.

I totally agree it isn't a permissions issue. 

I really suspect that something has changed on my computer. Windows doesnt seem to care but LR sees a problem. How does LR detect the effecy of a volume?  Does the "Intel management engine interface" have a play in this? Timing is similar and it is a "corrupted driver" according to Win 10.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Bruce

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The corruted driver has been replaced and problem still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines