• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Made an import error

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I imported some photos that I took this past weekend. I wasn't paying attention and somehow the option for only adding to the catalog was selected and not "copy dng to drive". I worked on some of the photos I imported until I had to leave for work. I removed my card from my card reader and got a notification that the photo I was currently working on was not available. After some rooting around and thinking about what was going on, I noticed the selection error made on importing. Is there a way to import these photos onto my drive without deleting them from the catalog so I don't lose the edits that are already performed? If not, how do I go about deleting them from the catalog (it won't even give me the option to import duplicates) so that I can import them correctly?

Thanks in advance for the help!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plug in the camera card to the card reader. This should re-connect LrC to the photos. Then in LrC, move the photos to wherever you want on your hard disk.

DO NOT REIMPORT! This is so important, I am going to say it three more times.

DO NOT REIMPORT!

DO NOT REIMPORT!

DO NOT REIMPORT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I get when I try that....

Photos are greyed out and I cannot select them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, looks like you did not listen. Do not bring up the import screen. Place that card back in the card reader, in LrC Library Module, see if you can see the photos, perhaps in the folder in the card. Then use LrC to move them to a hard drive, not the card.

P.S. was this a CFExpress card? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Repeating what @GoldingD said, you did the opposite of what I said. I said DO NOT IMPORT (4 times!), and you tried to import. I said put the card back in the card reader, and it seems like you haven't tried that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, both. Sorry, I was already on the import screen, misread and misinterpreted what you (@dj_paige) were instructing me to do. Having not clicked off the import option, I thought @dj_paige  was speaking about the "move" option that was listed along with the "copy as DNG" and "add" to catalog. I've had a long day and had a bit of a mush brain earlier. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Doesn't help I'm still not very well acclimated to the program since I don't use it as much as I should. How @GoldingD put it in a bit more simple terms for my simple brain today, I've got it straightened out. Again, thank you both.

P.S. @GoldingD  yes, it's a CFExpress card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

P.S. @GoldingD  yes, it's a CFExpress card.

By @Wegus Media

Yes, that verifies an assumption. 

As you were apparently select ADD with a memory card. Had the card not been a CFExpress, say an SD, or a standard CF, then the ADD option would have not been available.

Both Windows OS an MACOS treat a CFExpress card as a hard drive, not as removable flash media as the treat SD and CF cards. LrC honors that info from the OS and if the media is removable flash, then LrC does not allow ADD. But LrC trips up with a CFExpress card and just assumes the OS is correct and treats it as a hard drive.

Adobe intentionally disallows ADD on SD and CF cards to protect us. Why?:

• Users will put the card in their camera, and may delete the old photos.
  • Users will put the card in their camera, and format them.
  • These cards have a limited life, far less than a hard drive. Eventually they will fail
  • In any of the above, the photos will go permanently missing.

Adobe does not see the issue with CFExpress cards as a bug at Adobe (IMO), They may see it as a bug at Microsoft, and Apple???

Users need to be aware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines