• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map Module not working since June 2021

Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Map Module partially displays.  Its panels display, but no maps.  The tutorial displays ok but previously saved locations do not.  The search feature also does not work.  I am unable to post my photos in the map module.  The problem happened after the Lightroom Classic update 10.3  My graphics card is GeForce GT 640M Version 369.09  My OS is Windows 10.  A screen shot of the Module is attached below.  I'm in the hunt for a new pc - this one is 6 years old - but I don't want to dump it if the Map problem is just due to a bug.  Thanks for any ideas on how to fix the Map Module..

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

In general, the Map module works with LR Classic. First troubleshooting steps:

1. Triple-check you have 10.3 actually installed by doing Help > System Info. (The Creative Cloud desktop app sometimes misleads people into thinking they have "the latest" installed.)

2. Verify that Google Maps is working on Internet connection via a Web browser.  (Rarely, firewalls or ISPs screw with Google Maps.)

3. Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

"the posted location on an export from the Library sent to Pictures and then loaded to Flickr did not successfully transfer to Flickr."

In LR's Export window, make sure you've selected Metadata > Include: All Metadata and the option Metadata > Remove Location Info is unchecked

In Flickr, you have to set Account Settings > Default For New Uploads > Who Will Be Able To See Your Stuff On  Map to Anyone, and set > Import EXIF Location Data to Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In general, the Map module works with LR Classic. First troubleshooting steps:

1. Triple-check you have 10.3 actually installed by doing Help > System Info. (The Creative Cloud desktop app sometimes misleads people into thinking they have "the latest" installed.)

2. Verify that Google Maps is working on Internet connection via a Web browser.  (Rarely, firewalls or ISPs screw with Google Maps.)

3. Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top left, Navigator Panel blank. I do not  think that has anything to do with access to google maps, or map module not working.

Is that panel also blank in Library module?

Also wonder if you have the same symptom in the Histogram.

Adding to that, the lack of a map in the loupe view. If google map was down, should have seen a world jap with the words Map is Offline.

Very likely preference file corrupt. Recommend you follow advice from johnrellis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My graphics card is GeForce GT 640M Version 369.09

So NVIDIA GT 640M v369.09. Way out of date. Current v425.31, Oh, that one is fairly old as well, dated back to  4/11/2019, appears to be end of support on that chip. Advise you update that driver. GPU driver versions (out of date) are a favorite bugaboo at Adobe support pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My graphics card is GeForce GT 640M

So, I doubt that you are running 4K on that notebook using that GPU. Turning on the LrC option to use Graphics Processor on non 4K typically accomplishes nothing. Turning that option on with a GPU that old will probably actually hurt performance and may cause odd behavior. (like navigator panel blank)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My OS is Windows 10.

Version?

Build?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upper right, Cloud symbol. Looks like it indicates offline.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/synced-to-cloud/

Does that mean your internet access is down, or that the Adobe servers were offline?

Suspect you were offline. Not on internet, no google maps, no google maps, no nap module.

ahh, but your Windows 10 Wired Network icon in the taskbar indicates you are connected. Odd.

I think, preference file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses.  The Navigator photo and the histogram display in both the Library and Develop Modules.  A review of Lightroom Classic preferences shows the problem.  The graphics card is no longer supported by Lightroom. See the attached screen shot.   Attempts to update the card only generate a message that there is no later version of the card to update to.  With a six year old AIO pc, I doubt if installing a new card is feasible.  A new pc seems the way to go.  Thanks again for your tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't imagine that an unsupported GPU is the cause of Map module problems. 

Did you actually try resetting the preferences as instructed by @johnrellis ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

To build on dj_paige's reply: The screenshot of your preferences says, "Graphics processor acceleration is not supported by your system". That means that LR will not use the GPU (graphics processor) to speed up operations in Develop and parts of Library -- rather, LR will use the vanilla graphics hardware and driver. These days, it's very uncommon for LR to encounter bugs with the vanilla graphics hardware and drivers (i.e. with the Graphics Processor turned off).  But I supposed it's possible, given that your graphics chip appears to be from 2012 and your driver is older. 

Nvidia does provide newer drivers for your graphics chipset, but it's a little obscure to find it. From the standard driver-downloads page:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

click "Beta and older drivers", which gets you here, where you can download 425.31 from April 2019:

johnrellis_0-1626896790316.png

If a clean install of that driver doesn't help (see the Adobe help article above for a link to the Nvidia clean install instructions), then definitely try resetting preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Per:

https://photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

a bit dated, but, Map module not involved with use Graphics Processor.

Had you forced use Graphics Processor, then  maybe an issue (bad things happen with this option on old GPU's)

But not the case.

Reset that prefetence file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One silly inquiry. Following the map issue, have you closed LrC, then restarted?

Probably by now, days later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Postscript:  7/21/2021 A pc restart was done following a Photoshop update and a Google update.  A hunch made me check the map module again.  Saved locations will now display again.  The map search function works again.  Photos can be posted to the map as well.  However, the posted location on an export from the Library sent to Pictures and then loaded to Flickr did not successfully transfer to Flickr.  The map location for the export did not display in Flickr. I don't know if Flickr or Lightroom Classic is the issue Even though Lightroom Classic does not support my old graphics card, it still allows editing in the Library and Development Modules. I'll wait a day or so and try some more exports to see if there is any further change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2nd Postscript:  a recheck of the Lightroom Classic Preferences shows the graphics card now supported.  See screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the posted location on an export from the Library sent to Pictures and then loaded to Flickr did not successfully transfer to Flickr."

In LR's Export window, make sure you've selected Metadata > Include: All Metadata and the option Metadata > Remove Location Info is unchecked

In Flickr, you have to set Account Settings > Default For New Uploads > Who Will Be Able To See Your Stuff On  Map to Anyone, and set > Import EXIF Location Data to Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your advice on the Export Window was right on target.  Include All Metadata was ok, but both Remove Location Info and Remove Person Info were checked.  After unchecking them, a test export was tried.  The Location Info displayed correctly in Flickr.  

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For what it's worth, I have Windows 10 Home (latest version and updates) and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics card, my maps were blank as well, and I tried all tips I could find on forums. I just solved this by downloading the latest driver for my card from NVIDA website (with the PhysX software/without the Game-Ready software), rebooted, and voila! Maps are back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines